I don't get it

Bigga Petey

Lowland Gorilla
We were at a social type function over the holidays. I light up a stogie I had brought along. A friend of ours says it smells terrific. Would I perhaps have another he could sample? Certainly.

So he takes this perfectly good Hemingway Classic, and does a deep throat number on it, slobbering all over it before he lights it. Am I missing something? Is there some protocol or cigar smoking etiquette that I may have been blind to?

Why on earth would anybody soak a cigar in spit before lighting it?

blech!!! :pu

2 older gentleman do the samething at my local B&M... i never asked, so i dont expect to tell... :D

I had a buddy that use to do that too - when I asked he said it helped to keep the wrapper from coming apart - So, he was use to smoking dryed out cigars. That's why.

ps. I told him he didn't need to do that with the cigars I gave him - they weren't too dry.

I've seen it done mainly by older men. This is purely supposition but it could be a holdover from the days of more rampant improper storage; licking the entire wrapper would add moisture and perhaps keep it from cracking after lighting if the wrapper had been allowed to dry out.

Lots of folks leave cigars laying around vs. in humidors. It's an old habit that I broke with difficulty. The moistening was to prevent the wrapper from cracking and peeling off in my mouth. These guys? Couldn't really say.. maybe an oral fixation, practicing for a fluffer position? :r

croatan said:
I've seen it done mainly by older men. This is purely supposition but it could be a holdover from the days of more rampant improper storage; licking the entire wrapper would add moisture and perhaps keep it from cracking after lighting if the wrapper had been allowed to dry out.

That was kind of scary. Twin sons of Different mothers?

Bigga Petey said:
So he takes this perfectly good Hemingway Classic, and does a deep throat number on it, slobbering all over it before he lights it. Am I missing something?
All I know is if that were a hot chick doing that, it yould be as sexy as hell :cool:

I have seen people who lick the entire wrapper before lighting it. Mayby they thionk it makes it burn slower.

Yuck, how uncouth and barbarian. I could see Jenna doing the likes, but I image the cigar going some place other than her mouth…

After I had tried my first stick, I started talking to a guy at work, that smoked cigars. He told me to always do this, to help the stick burn slower. that lasted for about the first stick after he told me that. I fail to see the need now that we all have humidors....

Drevim

Ive seen guys do this, and they said the same you have said, That it was to prevent it from getting damaged when cutted, and from cracking and unraveling later on.

Buddy of mine always does this. I've tried to disuade him from it but he claims it keeps his cigars from falling apart. He generally smkes RYJ Tubos, so I know they are fresh but he still insists. Hey, different strokes for different folks.....just don't slobber all over MY cigar.

vtdragon said:
Buddy of mine always does this. I've tried to disuade him from it but he claims it keeps his cigars from falling apart. He generally smkes RYJ Tubos, so I know they are fresh but he still insists. Hey, different strokes for different folks.....just don't slobber all over MY cigar.

I've got it.....

If you see someone doing this, are you going to ask them to try their smokes. Not that I've ever done that anyhow, but just a thought. Maybe a close friend??? No not even them. Get your own stick...from my humi of course!!!

It did help with Dutch Masters Perfectos and other machine made cheapies that sat in the rack at the grocery store. I haven't had a desire to do this since I learned not to smoke cigars with paper in them and "other non-tobacco products."

vtdragon said:
Buddy of mine always does this. I've tried to disuade him from it but he claims it keeps his cigars from falling apart. He generally smkes RYJ Tubos, so I know they are fresh but he still insists.

I hope they're not Churchills and he doesn't go deep throat on them, then I would say that's boarderline obscene, lol...

I have seen a guy do that before. I didn't ask...

Also I used to know a guy who would lick straight up his cigarette before smoking it. Said it burned slower. Strange...

Back