I hate to do this. A stupid newb question

bigkev77

Conservative Stud
I was gifted my first non-bargain basement cigar and I can't figure out what it was. I do know it was an A. Fuente Grand Reserva ???? It was an AWESOME smoke and I thought I could just get online and buy some "but" (here is the stupid newb part) there are many different ones. Are they just different shapes and sizes with the same tobacco or different tobaccos for each size?

I told you it was a stupid newb question. I am on a SUPER tight budget and would like to make sure I get that great cigar taste that I had before. No room for experimenting too much. I was unfortunate enough to stumble onto cbid and bid on some things I probably won't like. I was weak. Hopefully won't win. (5 vegas, Indian Tabak)

So can I just buy any of the A fuente cigars and still have that great smoke I had before?

Thanks for putting up with another newb

Each line Fuente produces has a different blend. Although some sizes do have different wrappers (i.e. the Work of Art/Maduro/Barber Pole), they almost always keep the same blend. It's what defines the line, and would render it useless to have them if they changed the blends in the line. I hope that helps a little!:ss

No such thing as a stupid question...just stupid answers provided by stupid people. The biggest trick with the A. Fuente lines is the fact that almost ALL of them have the same similar label barring a color change. "Gran Reserva" is found on Hemingways, Seleccion d'Or, Chateau, Don Carlos, and the basic line...only the Anejos, AF 13, Opus X, and Casa Fuentes have different labels. Describing the appearance of the stick and its presentation will help in finding which stick it really was. As far as the other question about the Fuente taste profiling...I am not the person to provide that answer for you...I do not like any of them...SO, ignore my last comment about the flavor profile...best of luck finding which it was...

I am also wondering this. I have a couple in my humi that I am afraid to try b/c if I like it, I am not sure what cigar it is. I don't see how hard it is to label it properly :mad:

Here's a few to look at and see if it rings a bell

The first is the Don Carlos... note the torp head, many have this. They and the King B are excellent smokes.
doncarlos.jpg

Next is the Hemingways... note the nipple on the foot. Very nice smokes, but some love them and some don't
fuentehemi.jpg

Next is the Gran Reserva... probably the one you had. It's nice, on par with the 5 vegas you bid on... a tad bit stronger IMO. But a good smoke for the price.
The Sun grown are my fav in this line, but none are bad.
fuentereserva.jpg

You have the big dogs of the line, the Anjeo and Opus, but those bands are distinct.

Hope that helps a bit.

No such thing as a stupid question...j

I disagree. A stupid question is the one you don't ask. :)

Always better to ask than not know. OP, I've found that CS is better than most internet forums at answering questions, even those that get asked over and over. It's a very helpful community.

Speaking of Fuente, I had the chance to smoke one of their special Casa Fuente cigars in Las Vegas last week. Pics to come soon in a new thread.... :) :)

I am on a SUPER tight budget and would like to make sure I get that great cigar taste that I had before. No room for experimenting too much. I was unfortunate enough to stumble onto cbid and bid on some things I probably won't like. I was weak. Hopefully won't win. (5 vegas, Indian Tabak)

You just might like these ;)

So can I just buy any of the A fuente cigars and still have that great smoke I had before?

Thanks for putting up with another newb

On a tight budget? You might try the AF curly head or curly head deluxe. Short filler, but still a god smoke.

Thanks for all the help. It was the green label, and It very well may have been the 858. I was looking at their website and it looks about right. Now that I have a clue I will have to try to get up to the BM to try one. There seems to be seveal that don't like these. That is encouraging to me. MEans there are ALOT of good cigars waiting. MY cigar experience is limited to drug store brands and some Free Cuba cigars my uncle gave me. Compared to those the A Fuente green label was golden.

galaga suggested the curlyhead cigars, any others like these. The price sure is right. What is the difference in maduro, claro, and natural??

galaga suggested the curlyhead cigars, any others like these. The price sure is right. What is the difference in maduro, claro, and natural??

Same blend just different wrappers. The claro or Candela is green in color and is very mild, the natural is a cameroon wrapper if im not mistaking and the maduro is a dark, sweet tasting wrapper. My favorite is the maduro:tu hope this helps some

I've been there and have had similar questions. Then I find one with a different label and a slightly different color. Which one did I have? Start a journal or a log and keep good notes on the stick, size (length), ring gauge, color, aroma, shape, band color and information about the cigar. Sometimes it's tough to remember exactly which cigar it was that you loved. We all go through the same stage. :):ss:tu

Sounds like you found your smoke. I think you are correct that it was probably an 858. One of the more popular Fuentes. An less expensive alternative is Tampa Sweethearts.com They are like the Factory outlet for Fuente.
Dont discount IT's or 5Vegas smokes, for the price they are decent smokes. Maybe not something that you will be smoking in a year or two, but definitely worth trying. :2

Same blend just different wrappers. The claro or Candela is green in color and is very mild, the natural is a cameroon wrapper if im not mistaking and the maduro is a dark, sweet tasting wrapper. My favorite is the maduro:tu hope this helps some

Great aswere. That is exactly what I was curious about.

I've been there and have had similar questions. Then I find one with a different label and a slightly different color. Which one did I have? Start a journal or a log and keep good notes on the stick, size (length), ring gauge, color, aroma, shape, band color and information about the cigar. Sometimes it's tough to remember exactly which cigar it was that you loved. We all go through the same stage.

Great Idea!! This A fuente was my first good cigar, to me anyway and I though just by saving the band I would be good. I had no idea there were so many different variations with the same band. I am looking forward to this long slope.

Back