I hate windy days!

Mark C

Lowland Gorilla
I don't get many chances to smoke, so I look forward to my weekends. Sometimes mother nature tosses me a curve ball, sometimes she hits me square in the face. This past weekend I knew I had only 1 opportunity to light up a cigar, and I had just gotten a package from CI. It was windy, but at least it was dry, I figured I'd give it a try.

So I grab a 5 Vegas Gold, cut it, toast it, barely get it lit when my lighter stops working. So I set it down on the table (no ashtray, I'm that much of a noob) and go to get another lighter. When I come back I find the cigar rolled off the table, off the deck, and into a mud puddle. So much for that.

Next I grabbed a 601. Cut it, tried to light it, and my second lighter stopped working. Both of these were those $3 torch lighters that seemed pretty solid until now. I set that one down, went inside to grab a grill lighter and came back to find my cigar missing. It took a few minutes to find it too, it rolled off the table, across the deck, and ended up next to a potted plant, the only thing between that cigar and another muddy death. Oh yeah, and the wrapper split.

Half-way through the cigar I needed a relight, my grill lighter didn't work, my torches didn't work, I had to go get a 4th lighter (CI brand torch). This had to be one of the must frustrating, miserable smoking experiences I've ever had in the short time that I've been enjoying cigars.

Moral of the story: I hate Maryland weather. :mad:

Oh gosh brother. Two good sticks (well I have only had one, but I've got a 5 vegas gold lined up for tonight) down the drain (or down the deck, as it were)! Sorry to hear about your miseries. Move to North Carolina?

:tu

I really hate it when that happens, and that happened to me on friday it was pretty windy and I was outside fighting with my cigar.

My unsolicited advice.

1. Buy a cigar ashtray
2. Use good fluid in your lighters, I like Vector 6$ a can William & Sonoma.
3. Find a warm place to smoke this winter, ciigar bar, B/M , garage etc...

You sound like you'll be fine, anyone that goes for the forth lighter and a second cigar is determined to smoke.

Hope your days of smoking get better.

Last edited:
My unsolicited advice.

1. Buy a cigar ashtray
2. Use good fluid in your lighters, I like Vector 6$ a can William & Sonoma.
3. Find a warm place to smoke this winter, ciigar bar, B/M , garage etc...

You sound like you'll be fine, anyone that goes for the forth lighter and a second cigar is determined to smoke.

Hope your days of smoking get better.

:tpd:

Sounds like a crappy day brother, I assume you can't smoke in the house but maybe the car/truck would provide a safer lighting area!

Sounds like a crappy day brother, I assume you can't smoke in the house but maybe the car/truck would provide a safer lighting area!

Wife would kill me if I smoked in the house. I even planned out a thorough ventilation system for my stained glass workshop and she was sold... until I mentioned smoking under the same hood.

The car is brand new, don't think I could bring myself to cover up that new-car smell even if it wouldn't also risk my marriage.

Someone else said it best, I'm just going to have to get to know the local B&M. There's one within 15 minutes with a small lounge, and another one 45 min away with supposedly the nicest lounge outside of Baltimore city. Time to introduce myself I think.

B&M it is I guess. I'm too spoiled because the lil lady lets me smoke in the house and I've been stinking my car up with cigars since the day I drove it off the lot.

You poor guys. :D

I hate windy days too. At least you have the option of going to a B&M's lounge! Stupid laws here prevent that! I'll have to make due with my garage (AKA Bear Cave) throughout the winter.

The car is brand new, don't think I could bring myself to cover up that new-car smell even if it wouldn't also risk my marriage.

The new-car smell may be one of the two or three smells that top the cigar smell for me...

Back