i made it through tsa

RaiderinKS

Lowland Gorilla
just got through. 3 backpack xrays. a lady almost smashed 1 of my sticks (i don't have an otter yet).

the bag opener was unsure about my cutter, but his supervisor was all like "nah, its cool. and a nice one at that."

now, into te skies!

I had my sticks in an otterbox in my backpack and didnt run into any problems. Just put my cutter in my checked luggage to avoid anything.

Raider,

I assume you flew out of MCI but have you ever been to the old municipal airport? I believe it's call Charles Wheeler airport, now. When I was a kid, we used to go there on Sundays and watch the old, triple tail "Connies" take off and land. (Four engine prop jobs for you youngsters). We'd eat in the Gilbert (?) restaurant in the terminal. I was there when the first commercial flight in a Boeing 707 took off. It was a big day with lots of people there.

Years later, I flew my own airplane to the old downtown airport on several occasions to visit our banker at Commerce Bank. I was flying a Maul (bush plane with great performance) and even then those buildings south across the river looked pretty tall. I can't imagine what they looked like to the "Connie" pilots on a hot and humid day.

Oh, I knew Dr. Charles Wheeler. He was the dad of a couple of kids in our Scout troop.

WyoBob

Raider,

I assume you flew out of MCI but have you ever been to the old municipal airport? I believe it's call Charles Wheeler airport, now. When I was a kid, we used to go there on Sundays and watch the old, triple tail "Connies" take off and land. (Four engine prop jobs for you youngsters). We'd eat in the Gilbert (?) restaurant in the terminal. I was there when the first commercial flight in a Boeing 707 took off. It was a big day with lots of people there.

Years later, I flew my own airplane to the old downtown airport on several occasions to visit our banker at Commerce Bank. I was flying a Maul (bush plane with great performance) and even then those buildings south across the river looked pretty tall. I can't imagine what they looked like to the "Connie" pilots on a hot and humid day.

Oh, I knew Dr. Charles Wheeler. He was the dad of a couple of kids in our Scout troop.

WyoBob

that's sweet. yeah, mci. I was reading a board in the terminal about the old fords and municipal. sounds cool, flying there. I hope to get my fixed wing someday.

Raider,

WyoBob
My Grandpa took me to a park or lookout on the northwest of side of KC that was up on a big hill that overlooked the downtown airport. It was pretty cool to watch those TWA "Connies" fly out that river bottom..Great memories.
They still have a Connie that flies around KC out of a museum at the downtown airport.

My Grandpa took me to a park or lookout on the northwest of side of KC that was up on a big hill that overlooked the downtown airport. It was pretty cool to watch those TWA "Connies" fly out that river bottom..Great memories.
They still have a Connie that flies around KC out of a museum at the downtown airport.

Most of those Connies got chopped up by the world's largest guillotine "cutters". They were beautiful airplanes. My grandparents and folks and us kids liked to eat at the rest. in the terminal on Sundays. That's where, at age 6, I learned not to put ketchup on beef. My grandad slapped my hand and said, "we don't put that crap on good beef, son." After eating, we'd go up on the observation deck and watch the planes.

Grandad and my dad had a commision/brokarage business at the KC Stockyards. I used to go down there on Sat. mornings & sit in the "shantys" that each owner of a set of pens had and watch the cattlemen drink coffee off the stove, smoke cigars, cuss, spit, swear and tell stories. That's when I knew I wanted to be in the cattle business:) Pretty exciting stuff for an 8-15 yedar old kid. I even got to ride a horse! (Might have implanted the seed for future cigar smoking for me, too.)

Sorry for the thread hijack. I loved growing up in Kansas City so anything about KC gets me "wound up".

WyoBob

I'd consider you real lucky RaiderinKS, the tsa seem to take everything, I'm surprised they didn't end up just nabbing your expensive cutter.

Back