I need a few new hygrometers :(

Even Steven

SilverBack
So what has everyone been satisfied with?

I need something accurate, digital, preferably adjustable but I can live without that feature. Oh and if possible, I need it fairly cheap since I'm buying more than 2.

I've searched the forum and didn't exactly find what I was looking for.

What do you guys recomend?

If you want cheap and don't care about being able to adjust them, it's hard to beat the one Walmart carries for $7-$8.

I've got at least four different shapes/models of digital hygrometers, probably more than that. I picked up a couple of the Walmart jobs, drilled out the backs to increase their responsiveness, and they work as well as anything I've tried to date.

A salt test revealed that each one registers 3% low, which isn't bad.

Here's an older thread with an opinion or two on them.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18175&highlight=walmart+hygrometer

Just get a good digital one.

You can pick one up just about any place for $10.00 - $15.00. Better to be safe than sorry.

I would give Mark at cigarmony a try. Those adjustables are the way to go.
Of the 4 Wal-Mart cheapies I have tried, they have all been crap. For 24 bucks you can get the nice recangular unit from Mark and be rockin'!!

Im eyeing ebay and cbid but I think I will prob just get one from Mark...unless I can find a Western Caliber for cheaper. Those seem to be the two names I hear over and over...

If you want cheap and don't care about being able to adjust them, it's hard to beat the one Walmart carries for $7-$8.

I've got at least four different shapes/models of digital hygrometers, probably more than that. I picked up a couple of the Walmart jobs, drilled out the backs to increase their responsiveness, and they work as well as anything I've tried to date.

A salt test revealed that each one registers 3% low, which isn't bad.

Here's an older thread with an opinion or two on them.

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18175&highlight=walmart+hygrometer

I use the Walmart ones too. Mine salt tested 1% low. Close enough and less than $8.00.

Thanks for all the replies and recomendations fellas.

I was shying away from the $20+ ones, I have 2 of those and both are crap, I did the salt test many times and they both read different #'s each time I did it, a battery change didn't help either and these aren't adjustable.

I'll check out those walmart ones, I've seen them at wally world before but they have a few and I didn't know which one was best.

I was shying away from the $20+ ones, I have 2 of those and both are crap, I did the salt test many times and they both read different #'s each time I did it, a battery change didn't help either and these aren't adjustable.

Which ones do you have?

I am not a huge fan of the salt test, you can get different values depending on how much water you add to the salt and how long you leave them in the bag/container.

Although it does cost a little money and it pretty ghetto, the boveda calibration kit does what it is suppose to do. Actually, if you have any boveda packets laying around, any of them can be used to calibrate a digital hygrometer. Just leave them sealed for at least 24 hours, 8 hours really is not enough.

Like I have said before, I own nine Western Digital Caliber III's. About a month ago I decided to calibrate them all, I wanted to know for sure how accurate each one was. So I changed all the batteries and over a period of 4-5 days calibrated each of them.

I have the actually data at home, but off the top of my head: 4 were +1, 2 were perfect, and 3 were -1. All were within the +/- 1 error as described from the manufacturer.

Now, maybe I have gotten lucky and have gotten nine good ones, who knows.

I have bought several of them from Mark at Cigarmony, who seems to run out of them at lot faster than the adjustable ones. Which I like to think means something other than just that he has less of them in stock. :D :r

I also wonder about the adjustable digital hygrometers, does anyone know if they need to be re-adjusted when you change the battery?

Thanks for all the replies and recomendations fellas.

I'll check out those walmart ones, I've seen them at wally world before but they have a few and I didn't know which one was best.

I could not find these on Walmart's web site, but here is one on ebay just like it. A lot cheaper at Walmart.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Thermom...0QQihZ014QQcategoryZ11675QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have purchased three of the cigar shaped digital hyrgos from this guy on ebay and they all passed the salt test within 1% and can fit damn near anywhere. I would definitely recommend one:

3e2e_2.JPG

Back