I think I'm in love...

TU09

Lowland Gorilla
Despite having avoided most of my local B&Ms because of high prices and a lack of any sort of lounge, I've finally found one that will put an end to all my internet purchases.

It's called the Mayan Trading Company and is located in an old orphanage that has been mostly converted to luxury apartments, with the exception of this little slice of heaven. For those of you familiar with NOLA, it is on Magazine Street near the Balcony Bar. There is a very well stocked walk in humidor with the lowest prices I have ever seen in a B&M; a huge selection of accessories, pipe tobacco, and hookah supplies; a lounge with leather couches, a television, and a poker table; two porches; and an outdoor cooking area. And the best part..... FREE BEER! :al

The owner is very personable and really makes you feel welcome. She is also very knowledgeable when it comes to the leaf. When we got there, my buddy and I were the only ones using the lounge, but that didn't last long. We ended up having a great conversation with an NOPD officer and then a German antique store owner as well as the owner of the shop itself. I have a feeling this place will leave me broke, but it is going to be a whole hell of a lot of the fun in the meantime!

Nice find! Although my local B&M doesn't have the lowest prices, I still shop there because they provide good service and good conversation. They have recently added a lounge, with flat screen TV and comfy looking chairs. I have not been able to try it out yet, but perhaps tomorrow, since its my day off.

I would love to find a place like this. Nither of the local B&M's I've been to have anything cool like this. Just a modest walk-in humidor and some cigarette ash stained video poker machines. I think there is a cigar bar somewhere, but it's sort of a different story.

Anybody know of any good places to smoke here in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area of North Carolina?

I too have found a great place near my work, with a TV, great lounge type chairs, and the owner is cool as heck! Gifted me a smoke 5 minutes after we met, with no qualms. Decent prices for CA and a great little shop.
Scott

Very cool...the only reason I really go to my local B&M is for the social connections, as I can obviously get all the smokes cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes it's just nice to grab a smoke off the shelf, and sit down to chat with some BOTL's that you've never met before.

icehog3 said:
Very cool...the only reason I really go to my local B&M is for the social connections, as I can obviously get all the smokes cheaper elsewhere. Sometimes it's just nice to grab a smoke off the shelf, and sit down to chat with some BOTL's that you've never met before.
I did that last week. It was myself, the shop owner and a nice french gentleman sitting around enjoying a few sticks. Turns out the french gentleman and myself had the same stick, RyJ Reserve Real

>>It's called the Mayan Trading Company and is located in an old orphanage that has been mostly converted to luxury apartments, with the exception of this little slice of heaven. For those of you familiar with NOLA, it is on Magazine Street near the Balcony Bar. There is a very well stocked walk in humidor with the lowest prices I have ever seen in a B&M; a huge selection of accessories, pipe tobacco, and hookah supplies; a lounge with leather couches, a television, and a poker table; two porches; and an outdoor cooking area. And the best part..... FREE BEER! <<

You have found the Big Rock Candy Mountain!! Good on you! :D
If I lived anywhere near the place I'd be a regular too.

You're a lucky man. My local shops have no seating/smoking area, and only wall mounted humidors. To get a B&M where they have someplace to sit and smoke, I have to travel about an hour and a half. :c

Sounds like a great find! I have not found the perfect B&M yet. There is one with great service and good prices, but no atmosphere. There is one with great atmosphere and friendly staff, but high prices. There is yet another with good prices, good atmosphere, and horrible staff. I wish I could pick and choose from each of them to creat my dream B&M.

mhillsing23 said:
Sounds like a great find! I have not found the perfect B&M yet. There is one with great service and good prices, but no atmosphere. There is one with great atmosphere and friendly staff, but high prices. There is yet another with good prices, good atmosphere, and horrible staff. I wish I could pick and choose from each of them to creat my dream B&M.

B&M ala carte? nice idea. I think I got lucky with my b&m.....too bad I'm moving in two months

mhillsing23 said:

It's just like shopping for bicycle components. The old saying is, "Cheap, light, strong; pick any two," and it's true. The same could probably go for B&M's: "great prices, great atmosphere, friendly staff; pick any two." :D

[OT] Loki said:
I did that last week. It was myself, the shop owner and a nice french gentleman sitting around enjoying a few sticks. Turns out the french gentleman and myself had the same stick, RyJ Reserve Real

Isn't "nice french gentleman " an oxymoron in the USA? :)

Back