I thought it couldn't happen to me . . . another moldy Shark

dantzig

Pseudo Gorilla
I was recently given a couple Sharks by my Secret Santa. With all the posts about mold, I've been checking them for mold weekly. One of them started sprouting white stuff this week :mad: It's not completely coated so I'm going to freeze it for a couple days and smoke it immediately after it recovers from the freeze. It's brother which doesn't have any visible mold is going to get smoked ASAP.

Since moldy Sharks seem to be the rule and not the exception, is A. Fuente doing anything about this problem? Mine were stored at 65% RH and never should have developed mold in those conditions. I would be absolutely livid if I had purchased a box.

Check your calibration again. I recently had an Anejo develop some mold because it was in my desktop and I had about 10 of those tubes in there from when I consolidated other humis. I'd bet the Anejos have a higher sugar content (due to the cognac barrels) and thus are more prone to mold. I don't know if there is actually a whole lot they can do about that.

My brother and I got in on a sampler that Holt's ran some time back to get the cameroon shark. My developed mold, while his didn't. When I saw the mold, I wiped it off and checked. I didn't even bother to freeze or wait. I smoked it right then. I remember it being pretty good, too. Maybe it's a conspiracy by the Fuentes to prevent people from aging their cigars. :r

I was recently given a couple Sharks by my Secret Santa. With all the posts about mold, I've been checking them for mold weekly. One of them started sprouting white stuff this week :mad: It's not completely coated so I'm going to freeze it for a couple days and smoke it immediately after it recovers from the freeze. It's brother which doesn't have any visible mold is going to get smoked ASAP.

Since moldy Sharks seem to be the rule and not the exception, is A. Fuente doing anything about this problem? Mine were stored at 65% RH and never should have developed mold in those conditions. I would be absolutely livid if I had purchased a box.
I don't know that this is true, at least not in my experience. I have smoked at least a box, maybe a box and a half since Thanksgiving and I currently have 5 boxes. I've only seen one get anywhere near getting mold and I've been checking very religiously (couple times a week).

Check your calibration again. I recently had an Anejo develop some mold because it was in my desktop and I had about 10 of those tubes in there from when I consolidated other humis. I'd bet the Anejos have a higher sugar content (due to the cognac barrels) and thus are more prone to mold. I don't know if there is actually a whole lot they can do about that.

I don't know if it's an Anejo thing. I have a box of 55's from 2005 that's perfect. I have a few other random Anejos of different sizes from 2006 that are also just fine. I've only had the mold thing happen with the shark (as it seems many others have as well). I only started hearing/reading about it with the cameroon shark.

One thing to remember is that the CT broadleaf maduro wrapper is more prone to mold than most other wrappers. Also, Anejos seem to ship a bit wet.

No need to freeze it, just wipe down and light up. A little mold isn't going to ruin your cigars, and shouldn't make you lose any sleep :)

You should probably send them to me. I have a very sophisticated system for getting rid of the mold for you....:ss

Not to say I heard from a guy, who heard from a guy who heard from a guy. I have a good relationship with our local Fuente Rep who told me they were aware of the shark problem (obviously). They pinned it down to cigars not left in the mold long enough. It will be resolved.

with the mold, i don't think freezing will help much. just separate it from your other sticks and watch carefully.

with the mold, i don't think freezing will help much. just separate it from your other sticks and watch carefully.

:tpd: I was going to post the same comment on the freezing. No need, it's not like beetles. Have you taken the cedar strips off your Sharks? If not ditch the sleeves as this will help promote the growth.
For what it's worth, it seems this time of year my humidity runs a bit lower than usual but at the same time my sticks are more prone to mold growth at the same time. Weird nonetheless. Unless the mold gets some time to really take off, just wipe it off and torch it. If anything I would smoke the one with mold before the unaffected stick. I know I have had a couple sticks in the past that formed spores from time to time and after I wiped them it was not unusual for them to sometimes grow mold again. Resolve your problem and just smoke the bastage.:ss

Yes, Fuente is aware of the problem, steps are being taken. Many of the boxes this year were shipped without humidipaks.

Even though we hear a lot about this online, this a very small problem. After seeing 150+ boxes this year, I saw mold on only a very few, mostly due to the storage conditions at the store.

As stated the broadleaf is very susceptible to mold.

Yes, Fuente is aware of the problem, steps are being taken. Many of the boxes this year were shipped without humidipaks.

Even though we hear a lot about this online, this a very small problem. After seeing 150+ boxes this year, I saw mold on only a very few, mostly due to the storage conditions at the store.

As stated the broadleaf is very susceptible to mold.

Other than leaving out the humi pac, could you elaborate on other steps Fuente is taking.

Thanks alot!

Back