I tried my hand at repairing some sticks.

Even Steven

SilverBack
I have 4 Trini Reyes and 1 El Rico Habano, I received the Trini's damaged and I think I may have dropped the El Rico, I wasn't about to let them go to waste so I decided to try and repair them with some of that Liquid Pectin I've been hearing about.

Repair1.jpg

Repair2.jpg

Pretty big cracks eh?

I got a small kiddy paint paintbrush and slowly painted the underside of the wrappers as if they were glue, pushed them down with the same brush and painted over them to insure a good seal.

Repair3.jpg

Repair4.jpg

Repair5.jpg

I could only wait 2 hours before smoking one, it was still a little damp which affected the burn pattern, but with a few touch ups, it was a smoking dream.

TriniReyes1.jpg

Repair.jpg

TriniReyes2.jpg

TriniReyes3.jpg

This one was a little after the cracked part was all gone.
TriniReyes5.jpg

It was smooth sailing after the repair.

TriniReyes6.jpg

TriniReyes4.jpg

TriniReyes7.jpg

TriniReyes.jpg

I could sense no differences from the very first Trini Reyes I smoked out of this 5er(one was not damaged). The draw was probably affected by the cracks, but it was nothing to complain about since the draw was perfect for my needs.

Wtg ES! IHT posted about this about 2 years ago. I found the thread and learned a lot from it. I tried it and it worked great on a couple of smokes that needed repair; it beats throwing them away.
You can learn so much around here :ss

Wtg ES! IHT posted about this about 2 years ago. I found the thread and learned a lot from it. I tried it and it worked great on a couple of smokes that needed repair; it beats throwing them away.
You can learn so much around here :ss

:D What's funny is that I went to repair those cigars a minute after I read that post from IHT, the one that you mentioned.

Dam !!

I guess it does work. Nice work on the repair job. Not to pretty but definately works.

Thanks for the step by step pics.

Hahaha, yes, not pretty at all! And doing the repairs were pretty fun, you have to be so gentle, kinda like one of those fine art repairs or old dinosaur bones or something.

Looks like you got the results you needed and that's what counts.

With that said here is my :2

Have you ever heard of Gum Tragacanth?

http://www.gumsper.com/

Ever wondered how those Torcedor get those nice caps to defy gravity?

In the past I have used Guar Gum to repair cigars, obtained from the health food store. It works great. I have ordered some Gum Tragacanth to have on hand, I expect it to be a step up.

If you check out the website you can read about some of the advantages of using natural Gums.

Gums are chewing gum, right? So Wrong! Actually, chewing gum isn’t gum, it is a resin – chicle. We like to think of gums as the flipside counterpart of starches. Basically, gums are thickening, gelling and suspending water soluble carbohydrates, similar to starches. Gums are also emulsifiers that prevent oil and water separation in products like salad dressings.

Within the food industry, because gums are typically all natural and of a plant source (of both land and sea plants), they are finding greater acceptance as gelatin replacements, which are of an animal protein source (mostly beef and pork hides and bones.) Unlike gelatin products, gum products do not “melt away” at room temperature. And when compared with starches, since gums are used at much lower levels - as low as one-tenth of the amount that a starch would be used – there is no flavor masking.

In the end it would be great if repairs where never needed. Nice photos by the way.

I bought the powered one and mixed it at home. It said liquid pectin on the box so I snatched it :D

I couldnt find the liquid pectin and not the right kind of powered pectin so I got some powdered Knox gelatin instead; it worked like a charm.

>>What's funny is that I went to repair those cigars a minute after I read that post from IHT, the one that you mentioned.<<

Hehe, yeah it had the same affect on me too. It was a damned fine feeling when it worked too!

I couldnt find the liquid pectin and not the right kind of powered pectin so I got some powdered Knox gelatin instead; it worked like a charm.

I don't remember if it was pnoon or galaga who told me this, but apparently Fixodent has a secondary use and can be used as a wrapper repair agent in a pinch.

:D ;)

Back