I want to work at a B&M over the summer?!?

Sigarz

Gorilla
Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a job or studying up on working at a B&M over the summer. Perhaps the average Pay? perhaps what a normal day of work entails? Perhaps what kind of stresses might be involved?...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I just was thinking that it would be a whole ton of fun to work at one while school is out. :rolleyes:

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting a job or studying up on working at a B&M over the summer. Perhaps the average Pay? perhaps what a normal day of work entails? Perhaps what kind of stresses might be involved?...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I just was thinking that it would be a whole ton of fun to work at one while school is out. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing, too. I would love to work at one and learn all about the business.

I've often thought about it as a second job. After all, it's something I love and enjoy, oh and the employee discount would be nice too!! I have no clue what it pays. I'm sure it's not as much as you want. It never is...

Bill

I'd guess minimum wage and I wouldn't think it would be hard. Stock shelves, clean up, stuff like that. But hey, a job you love? How often does that happen!

Last edited:
I actually work at a B&M currently for my winter break before going back to school. I make 7 an hour, currently in Pa the minimum wage is 5.15 or just went up to 6.15. It isn't really a hard job unless you have a bunch of customers at once and they all need help. But cigar and pipe smokers tend to be in less of a hurry than the cigarette smokers that come in.

I got the job by talking to the owner and getting to know the staff and whatnot. I asked if they need help over the holidays and got the job. From my visits they knew I had an understanding of cigars, which I think helped in getting the job.

Just get to know the staff, especially the ones that do the hiring and I would recommend smoking more and different brands in order to have a wealth of knowledge. I don't think anyone would be disagreeable with that type of training:D

I was wondering about this too! I'd imagine that I'd be stuck cleaning and sorting everything and getting paid "under the table". It still sounds fun though, not to mention I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE SMELL of all the B&M's I've been to.

I doubt that you would be paid under the counter, it's just not worth it to any business, no matter how small to risk the fines just to avoid some payroll paywork. I would also imagine it would pay a little better than minimum, as they would be looking for more knowledge and customer service than an average burger flipper. Just my 2 cents.

Just get to know the owner/manager. They are in the same predicament as the rest of us trying to find good, qualified help. They are generally receptive to customers who show an interest.
I help at two of my regular hangouts. Not really an employee, but I normally recieve a nice discount on anything I purchase. So it works out for me, them and their customers.

I believe I would love to do this as well. I Know I at least know as much as the old B&M I went to because I began talking to him about humi beads and he looked me like I was crazy! He'd never heard of them!

Overheard a kid who works at a local B&M I frequent ... Was tellin' his buddy in the humi that it wasn't the pay that kept him comming back, but the free stogie of his choice from the walk-in humi every shift he worked.

Maybe there ought to be a jobs section here on the boards to match job seekers and store owners. Would be a benefit to both sides.

Working a t B&M would be fun. But I don't have any breaks during the year, unless I take my 2 weeks vacation lol :p

I get to work at a b/m 2 sundays a month, only 5 hrs. The cigar perks are great, but man even with my discount I am still in the red. But if I was not working there, I would be sitting there some Sundays paying full price, so it works out.

I'm a local b&m owner in Philadelphia and I'm looking for a part timer for evening hours. Preferably someone in mid 20's. Job discription would be, cleaning, restocking, inventory, cashier and lottery.
If anyones interested in the area, let me know.:)

Chris

Back