Ignorance truly is bliss for some!!!

TEAK

Gorilla
I took an out of town transfer yesterday and after I dropped off the patient my partner and I decided to take the scenic route home. Well we were on our way home when we spotted a sign that said "Fine Cigars" so we decided to stop in, I have just recently gotten my partner into cigars. Well I should have known better to go in when I noticed that it was attached to a package store. We walked in and noticed a sign that pointed to the cigars and walked over to what basically amounted to a closet big enough for two people to walk into. (My partner and I are both rather healthy boys so it was a tight fit) The walls were jammed packed with boxes and boxes of cigars that have just been stacked on top of one another. At first the selection was pretty bad but when we started digging we noticed that they had a pretty good selection, then we saw the price and condition of the sticks. My personal favorite was the Padron '64 anniversary for $29!!! Not to mention the fact that the room was as dry as the Sahara but half the sticks in every box were damaged in some way.
We kept digging and found a few things that we both wanted that were actually reasonably priced, I found a nice La Gloria Cubana Serie R 60rg a Padron and a Hoyo that I got just because I wanted the band for my bar project. We then found a box of Curly Heads that had been in there for quite some time, the cello was that lovely yellowish brown, for about $2 a stick. So happy that we were able to make something out of what appeared to be nothing we walked out of the humi. Well on my way out I noticed a cutter hanging by a chain from the wall and I said to myself "self that looks like a Palio!!" So I asked the lady behind the counter who was enjoying a camel and a drink while she counted out her cash at 9 in the am if she carried this line of cutters. I felt like a kid at Christmas at the anticipation of getting my first Palio! She so kindly barked at me saying that she didn't carry those crappy cutters anymore and that I didn't want that I wanted one of the $90 Xikar's she had. I declined telling her I already had one. I proceeded to look around in hopes that a Palio was hiding somewhere. But to no avail I decided to checkout and head home. While waiting behind the excentric wondering traveler in front of us to purchase his bottle of port (read vagrant buying some thunderbird) my partner nudged me and suggested that I offer to buy the one on the chain. So when I go up to the counter I asked the kind lady if she was willing to sell the cutter on the chain. She told me that she would sell it for $50!!! Keep in mind that this was not a burlwood or carbon fiber model but a very used regular one with some serious miles on it and she had just told me what a crappy cutter it was not five minuets ago. I told her that would be ok and she replied with "well buddy you must not know as much about cigars as you think you do".
Needless to say I will not be returning to this fine establishment anytime soon. Sorry for the lengthy rant guys, and yes like I said at the beginning I should have know better when I saw it was attached to a package store but every so often you get lucky, but I just felt like getting it off my chest.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.:tu

This is why I like my little local B&M so well. The owner is a cigar smoker and it's a great place to hang out. Places like the package store you visited are catering to drinkers not cigar ambassadors such as yourself. Take your cigars re humidify them and caulk it up to a lucky lesson learned.
It wasn't too bad you did get some curly heads.:ss

I agree, the B&M I usually frequent is the complete polar opposite of this place. The owner, manager and two people who work behind the counter all know their product and are as friendly as possible. I stopped by there after work the other day to pick up the last of the Anjeos they had and I needed a bottle of wine as an xmas gift. Even though they were super swamped the owner stepped up behind the register to take care of customers and freed his sales girl to help me, a complete wine idiot, pick something out. She didn't rush me and he didn't rush her, she took her time asked me questions about the person I was buying the wine for and spent a good 15min with me. Even made me promise to come to their next wine tasting and try and broaden my horizon from just whiskey and bourbon.
You gotta love the good little B&M's that are left that are left to support us true cigar smokers and not the guy who wants something to look cool at a bachelor party or strip club. This makes me want to go visit my local just to feel good about cigar buying again

Back