IllinoisHoosier's Review Corner #1

illinoishoosier

Will Whore for Cigars
While doing my CAO contest, I realized I had only posted 12 reviews during my time here and none in the last 7 or 8 months. So i decided to really do it up good and start a little thing I like to call, "IllinoisHoosier's Review Corner" where I will post my reviews with pics.

Tonights first review....Taboo Limited Reserve Connecticut Robusto

First thing I have to say is I hate Rob. because I now have a new favorite morning cigar that I will have to spend more money on to get!! These little babies are fantastic.(I don't really hate Rob..., but my credit card does)

So here we go. This is the victim resting peacefully.
002.jpg

The aroma has an almost floral quality. Can't find the right "smell descriptor" but it is very nice and sweet. This also was the cleanest cigar I have clipped in sometime. No straggler filler, no bits in the mouth, just a nice, smooth cut. The appearance is good, nice smooth wrapper with some veins.

Toasted the foot and got a nice woody aroma. No problems with the light. The draw is absolutely fantastic, very smooth.

Here we are a couple of minutes in. Burnin' great.
003-2.jpg

This little bastage puts out an incredible amount of creamy smoke. And for those of you who know me, I really like sitting in "the fog" when I smoke. I wish I could have captured it on camera.

The flavor is that sweet floral, maybe a little cedar, but most of all very creamy. No bite at all.

10 minutes in...
004.jpg

Flavor is the same. Lots of smoke and perfect draw. Ash is light gray and tight. Gonna try to make Rob proud.

20 miuntes and even Yo Yo the cat came to see what smelled so good. Burn is still straight and draw is still perfect.
006.jpg

30 minutes in....
007.jpg

Burn is still good and ash is tight although it is leaning a bit. The flavor profile has now started to change a bit. Just a little bit of spice, not a peppery spice, and not "a hint of madagascar vanilla", but defnitely something has creeped in and it is still smooth and creamy.

'Bout 45 minutes in and the ash dropped. Good thing I was smoking with the ash tray in my lap!
008.jpg

Flavor is still holding the same. Smoke and draw still great. Note the nice cone shaped cherry. Beautifully constructed cigar.

Just a few minutes later and the stick recovered nicely. Was afraid after the ash fell, I mighht have a burn issue. Spice is picking up, but it still pleasant.
010.jpg

We are now at about 55 minutes and we have a burn problem. Flavor has picked up a "smokiness" to it and has started to harsh up a bit. I let it die a couple of minutes later.

011.jpg

Total time 60 minutes. This was a fantastic smoke that has definitely earned a morning, or an after a light meal smoke. The 5 Vegas Gold will have to fight to get it's spot back in the rotation. The finish is pretty light. As I write this it has been almost 2 hours post burn and there is very little flavor left on the tongue.

I give it 5 IllinoisHoosiers out of 5.
smokey-1.jpg
smokey-1.jpg
smokey-1.jpg
smokey-1.jpg
smokey-1.jpg

Thanks to Guitarman for the wonderful photo of me and the infamous "CigarJuice" cigar.

Tell me what you think about the format here and I'll keep posting...or not.

Great review, IH. This is a brand I have yet to try but with all the talk from many people I really need to give some of them a go. Unfortunately, or not, finding a morning smoke is somewhere 10-12yrs down the road.

I don't know if you realized it, but there is a crazy-ass looking cat in the background of one of those pics. By the look on his face you stole his cigar. :ss

She kept turning when i would snapped the picture so finally I yelled at her, and I think that is her "what the hell do you want?" look.

:r

Love the cat pic!!

Thanks for the review. You must have smoked this thing right off the truck?:confused:

We didn't start shipping until last Thursday.

Thanks for the pics and your time to do the review.

Rob

You guys should notice slightly more flavor with the Figurado and the Torpedo. (with all three of the new LR blends) Ash should hold very well with all the sizes as you see in this pic and as I posted in the Retail section with the Figurado, which burned nearly all the way down to the band.

Thanks for the review.
I took this one to work on Sunday in hopes of taking a break and smoking it. :dr
Never got a chance, so back in the humi it went. It was late at night and I was tempted to light it up at my desk, but I figured I wouldn't take a chance on getting fired. No job==no cigars.
I have it earmarked for this weekend. Unfortunately I don't get many chances to enjoy one.

:r

Love the cat pic!!

Thanks for the review. You must have smoked this thing right off the truck?:confused:

We didn't start shipping until last Thursday.

Thanks for the pics and your time to do the review.

Rob

As soon as I opened the box! Talked to Patrick on
Friday, had the smokes on Monday.

got the maduro and habana sitting in my "waiting to die" humi so there will be reviews on these as well.

Thanks again!:tu

Nice review. I'd like to try some of those. That cat picture is hilarious. "You bastage, you stole my cigar." :tu

Very nice review.. I am anxious to get mine!
I have some of the value linecigars from Taboo, and for the money, IMHO, they make a decent morning smoke.
Scott

I got my cigars today... Talk about service.. I ordered at about 11pm on Monday night, the order was processed on Tuesday morning, and my smokes showed up today :D :D :D That is some great service. One of the connecticuts is gonna burn for a review for CS tomorrow morning.
Scott

Nice review. I have had several Taboo but haven't really care for any of them. Still have three from a sampler sitting in the coolador. I try them again in a few months.

Nice review. I have had several Taboo but haven't really care for any of them. Still have three from a sampler sitting in the coolador. I try them again in a few months.

Hello Gary,

pm me with your personal taste. All the Taboo are very different and none of us like all of them, including me.:tu I can put you on the blend(s) that should be suitable to you if I know what you like.

Thanks for your feedback
Rob

Back