Illusione cg4

Funkalicious

Utterly ri-donk-ulous
My first review, so go easy brothers. Unfortunately, without pics (which I promise to rectify in my next outing).

The Executive Summary
At the end of the day, this was a good, but not a great cigar. I liked the earthy, woody notes that the cigar gave up and the spice seemed balanced throughout (which is to say that it never overpowered the cigar), but just too many ancillary issues with the stick for me to say I "loved" it.

Background
I was at the local B&M this past weekend smoking my first Tatuaje Cojunu 2006 (which was an absolute slice of heaven, let me tell ya). The manager suggested that if I liked that, I would also like the Illusione cg4 (the subject of this review). I'm new to the hobby and his recommendation of the Tatuaje Conjunu 2006 was spot on, so I pulled the trigger and bought three sticks.

Pre-light
Nice firm stick with an absolutely terrific smell. I snipped the cap and tested the draw, only to find a very very tough draw on a tightly-packed cigar.

The First 1/3
A few very powerful peppery notes on the first few puffs (perhaps accentuated by an overhot foot). After the first half inch, the stick seemed to settle in and I got a nice woody/earthy, full-bodied taste with an occasional hint of sweetness (almost like a sweet coffee or a caramel). Combined with a nice breeze off the Atlantic and a cool fall night, and I thought we were off and running.

The Second 1/3
Almost the first 1/3 stayed on the cigar as ash before falling away. As soon as it did, the stick canoed. I don't mind having to touch up a cigar but, for me, it is one more thing that I would rather not deal with and which (in my personal and humble opinion) takes away from the enjoyment of the cigar. I touched up the cigar and off we went again.

The middle portion of the stick seemed to bring out a lot more woody, almost grassy/straw tones, which are not my favorite. At this point, the cigar simply did not taste as full-bodied and complex as it had. Together with the construction/burn issues, and I was having less fun than I was hoping when I had sat down.

The Last 1/3
This is where the taste really went south on me. Despite the fact that I had been smoking the stick incredibly slowly in order to avoid overheating/taste alteration issues, the stick became incredibly harsh, almost with a burnt leaf test that was just more campfire smoky than anything. At this point, I felt like I had had enough (down to basically the last inch anyway).

Conclusion
This probably sounds like a mixed or negative review, but the first third really was a very nice cigar. I have two more and would be more than willing to give the cg4 a second try as everyone around here seems to speak of them so highly. Having said that, I'm eager to hear about the Illusione line more generally - are there brothers out there who like a different stick in the line who didn't think much of the cg4? Inquiring minds (mainly mine) want to know.

Next review will have pics...I promise.

I think you may have smoked a bad stick. I smoke the MK just about eeryday and that is one fine smoke. If you can find the ECCJ eddition that is really a treat

Great review Funk! Love reading others review, good or bad, about sticks I smoke on a regular basis.

Thanks for writing that up!

Back