Illusione ~ECCJ~ 15th

dwhitacre

My Other Brother Darrell
This one is a special made, limited Illusione Cigar and sold exclusively through New Havana Cigars - www.newhavanacigars.com/Illusione_eccj_15th_Box_of_15_p/illusione-eccj15-box.htm

This is their description information (in italics):
Illusione -eccj 15th

The e c c j 15th is a classic 5 5/8 x 46 (corona gorda) vitola. The special blend is accentuated by a Corojo cover leaf of the Rosado Claro shade. Careful selection has been made with regards to the wrapper to bring clarity to the complex 6 blend, puro Nicaraguan cigar tempered for the European palate.

Made at the Raices Cubanas factory in Honduras from 100% Nicaraguan tobacco.

Full flavor / Medium strength

There are 15 Cigars in this classic Illusione style box.
picture.php

picture.php

I took a picture of the ~eccj~ 15th for comparison with some of the other Illusione vitolas. It is the one in the center. Fourth one in from either the left or the right. On the left side you can see the ~68~, ~88~ and ~mk~ and starting on the far right working towards the center you can see the ~hl~, ~888~ and the ~f9~.
picture.php

It is gold banded like the ~mk~ and ~hl~ cigars.
picture.php

Upon toasting it, I received a very floral aroma. This was very pleasant to my nose. Other Illusione cigars have not given me this same floral smell.
picture.php

My first few puffs brought an enjoyable nutty flavor and the floral note continued as well. The draw was comparable to other Illusione cigars I have had, not too tight nor to loose.
picture.php

Plumes of pleasant white smoke were produced with each puff. The burn, however did become uneven and this continued throughout the smoking experience. Small corrections were made from time to time. This may have only been the case with this individual cigar.
picture.php

This Illusione produced the most sweet floral notes and nutty flavor than any I have had to date. I really enjoyed these flavors and the aromatic qualities of this cigar.
picture.php

As the ash feel off near the mid point of the cigar I noticed that I lost the flavor of nuts and the floral notes and the taste became spicy like black pepper. Once the ash developed again the floral aroma and nutty flavors returned.
picture.php

This was one complex cigar. The same thing happened as before, the ash fell and I lost the flavor I enjoyed, namely nuts and flowers and was replaced by pepper (I realize some people enjoy the taste of pepper - this would be their cigar).
picture.php

I was really enjoying this cigar at this point in the smoke. I was nearing the band and the flavors I like had returned in full force. Very enjoyable!
picture.php

Of course with an enjoyable cigar such as this it is necessary to nub it in order to give it a fair review!!!
picture.php

Overall Experience: Very Good - I would smoke this again.
Construction: 8.5 out of 10
Price: 9 out of 10 - a little over $8.00 a stick (due to limited quantity well worth the price).
Flavor: 8 out of 10 - medium mostly and strong at times (if you like floral or toasted nutty flavor get this one).
Appearance: 9 out of 10 - smooth wrapper with some veins and not as tightly packed as other Illusiones I have had.

Last edited:
Great review Darrell :tu

Gonna have to look into these bad boys.

** side note: Will you get your ass to the cyber-herf tomorrow or what.:D

An Outstanding review !!!! One of the best ever !!! My hats off to you !!!
Dan @ Newhavanna is one great guy!! Class A biz!

I'll have to get my hands on one !! To try!

Great review!! The Pics Were Top Notch!!

I took a picture of the ~eccj~ 15th for comparison with some of the other Illusione vitolas. It is the one in the center. Fourth one in from either the left or the right. On the left side you can see the ~68~, ~88~ and ~mk~ and starting on the far right working towards the center you can see the ~hl~, ~888~ and the ~f9~.
picture.php

SHOW OFF!!! You got a nice collection there Darrell! You the West Coast Distributor? Great review; can't wait to get my lips around one.

Great review... I haven't tried an Illusione yet. I checked out New Havana and noticed they have 5 samplers. The difference is $ and one cigar; each Sampler consists of 68, 88, cg4, f9, 2, and 888. The Samplers then have either 1, m7, mk, 4/2g, or none. Which would you recommend for an Illusione virgin?

Great review.
Darrell wondering how you would rate this compared to the MK and the 68? better/ worse/ different?

As I have not yet had the pleasure of smoking the ~mk~, I do not know how it compares, but I can compare it to the ~68~! The ~68~ is a power house and seems to be stronger and closer to the ~f9~ in flavor and intensity. The ~68~ is tighter (firm) in construction than the ~eccj~ and doesn't really loosen during smoking. The ~eccj~ was not as firm and loosened quite a bit during the experience.

The ~eccj~ changed very dramatically in flavor. The floral aroma is what I appreciated most about this cigar. In this respect it is different from the other Illusiones I have had!

SHOW OFF!!! You got a nice collection there Darrell! You the West Coast Distributor? Great review; can't wait to get my lips around one.

Glad you liked the review! Your end of our split should reach you by Wednesday (this week)!

Yes. I do have a nice collection! No. I'm not the west coast distributor but would like to be when I grow up! Though I have distributed a few of these on the west coast and other regions!

See:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1527808&postcount=15

Great review... I haven't tried an Illusione yet. I checked out New Havana and noticed they have 5 samplers. The difference is $ and one cigar; each Sampler consists of 68, 88, cg4, f9, 2, and 888. The Samplers then have either 1, m7, mk, 4/2g, or none. Which would you recommend for an Illusione virgin?

I would recommend the Illusione 7S Sampler, 68, mk, cg4, f9, 888, 88, 2!!!:2 This one would provide you with the ~mk~, which I have heard great things about! I just got one this week and hope to provide my feedback about it soon! You can't go wrong with any of the samplers. Illusiones are really great cigars and you are sure to find a favorite!!!

Good hunting!!!:tu

Great review! This cigar sounds like it was pretty damn amazing. This is a very hyped smoke, definetly on my to try list.

Hmm I think you should reconsider your definition of nub if that's your "nub"...the band is still on it!!

Hmm I think you should reconsider your definition of nub if that's your "nub"...the band is still on it!!

Please look at the picture carefully... I slid the band down!!! I wanted to give plenty of credit to the Brand!!!:ss

As I have not yet had the pleasure of smoking the ~mk~, I do not know how it compares, but I can compare it to the ~68~! The ~68~ is a power house and seems to be stronger and closer to the ~f9~ in flavor and intensity. The ~68~ is tighter (firm) in construction than the ~eccj~ and doesn't really loosen during smoking. The ~eccj~ was not as firm and loosened quite a bit during the experience.

The ~eccj~ changed very dramatically in flavor. The floral aroma is what I appreciated most about this cigar. In this respect it is different from the other Illusiones I have had!

Glad you liked the review! Your end of our split should reach you by Wednesday (this week)!

Yes. I do have a nice collection! No. I'm not the west coast distributor but would like to be when I grow up! Though I have distributed a few of these on the west coast and other regions!

See:
http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1527808&postcount=15

I would recommend the Illusione 7S Sampler, 68, mk, cg4, f9, 888, 88, 2!!!:2 This one would provide you with the ~mk~, which I have heard great things about! I just got one this week and hope to provide my feedback about it soon! You can't go wrong with any of the samplers. Illusiones are really great cigars and you are sure to find a favorite!!!

Good hunting!!!:tu
Many thanks for the suggestion... I just ordered this from New Havana. :tu

did you eventually take the band off and nub it further...that's still plenty left!!!

But of course!!!:ss

BTW - If you look at the comparison photo of the Illusiones, you'll notice that the ~eccj~ is pretty much robusto length but the ring gauge is less. The last picture of the review is deceptive. It makes the cigar look huge but they're really not that big.

It looks the size of a NUB (brand name), but they're not that fat!!!
picture.php

Last edited:
You are correct there is still plenty to smoke. That is what they make toothpicks for. Looking at that it looks like you just sparked it up and went to the bathroom or something and forgot about it. Looks like one fine smoke:tu

Back