Illusione f9 review with pics...

physiognomy

From a land down under...
From the Illusione website: The f9 is a 6 1/4" x 44 - Described as a medium to full bodied, perfectly balanced smoke. I hadn't heard about this brand before D'watch Dale suggested I pick some up last weekend. It seems they are Nic. puros blended as a house brand (not by Pepin) for Fumare in Reno, NV.

I picked these up last Sat from Barlows… The f9 is 2nd from the top.

800159389_ef635a40e0_o.jpg

In size, the f9 is close to a lonsdale, and looks very cubanesque with its simple band & triple cap. The wrapper was a light caramel colour & appeared a little dry & toothy. It drew well after cutting & had a sweet prelight draw… If I were more confident putting names to flavours I would say that grass/hay & earth dominated. Reminded me of the Padilla 8&11 corona I smoked yesterday, but less grassy & more barnyard, although not exactly like the cc 'barnyard’ ;)

The first inch definitely reinforced the resemblance. Maybe I was a little off in saying this, but the 8&11 reminded me of a spicy Curly Head ??? The f9’s flavours smoothed out & became very creamy through the rest of the first 3rd. I was also tasting something else, but couldn’t put my finger on it. Smoke was plentiful & the ash was a mottled charcoal colour, but didn’t hold much past ¾”. The first deposit nearly missing my chest & landing on the floor ☹

800159411_3ec8e5dc11_o.jpg

2nd third introduced some subdued spice & burnt wood flavours that complimented the smoothness nicely. As I puffed more there was definitely a mild leather taste that added to the sweet undertone. The ash was uncooperative again & didn’t gain much length, but this may have been because I touched it up after leaving to refill my drink. I must admit it was a little annoying that the floor won out over my ashtray in collecting the remains of this cigar.

801490642_6d696370db_o.jpg

Maybe it was because this was a pre-lunch cigar, but I noticed a little nicotine in the last third… The strength definitely increased & the wood & leather flavours started to dominate, overpowering the sweet creamy tones. I had to purge a couple of times when the burnt wood flavour was a little harsh, & it balanced out. The last inch ramped up the spice & wood flavours until I decided to put it down. Nothing harsh flavour wise, but it let me know it was time. The finish was pleasant, & while spicy, kept the smoothness on my tongue I experienced while smoking.

800935445_ee2aae1b8b_o.jpg

Overall, would I buy more? Definitely! For a nc <$8 it was a really enjoyable smoke & I look forward to trying the darker Illusione 88 robusto sitting in my humi. I recommend this cigar highly to anyone who stumbles across these in your local b&m.

Interesting. Never seen these and looking at the Illusione website, they arent sold anywhere in my state. Sounds good, I hope they start selling them near me. Nice review :tu

I ordered a few Illusiones in various sizes just a couple days ago thanks to Mark at Tower Cigars -- they're available online. I'm looking forward to trying 'em. Interesting to hear the comparison with the Padilla 8-11 because I'm quite fond of those.

-Ken

Tower Cigars is about the only place on-line I have seen them.

They are from Tabacalara Tropical (Nicarao, Lempira, Mombacho, Condega, Cacique, etc etc) which happens to be my favorite Tabacalara. The following is some info (I think is pretty accurate)

I think the illusiones are Tropicals move to revamp their image and previous problems with their cigars. As I understand it, the illusiones are only rolled by the highest grade rollers (I know we have all heard those stories before) and are actually in a portion of the Tabacalara that is new and separate from the rest. The website is fairly slick and impressive and also leads me to believe they are trying to either revamp their image or use the illlusione website to distance themselves from the image of their past problems (burn mostly), but I love most all their stuff especially Nicaraos, Brahmas, and Condega Connecticuts and Condega '99s.

Nice review with pics!!!

BillyBarue

OK, now I want to smoke one Peter. :dr

Very informative and insightful review and great pics! Looking forward to reading more of your reviews. :tu

I smoked the f9 a few days ago and really dug it. It seemed a little smoother to me as well -- it's not as spicy as the robusto or the pc, but lots of sweet cocoa and a delicious aroma. I can't put my finger on it, but there is definitely something distinctive about this line. A pretty good value as well.

:tu

Where else can I get these things besides that New Havana Cigars place? They're still out of stock, and I'm hearing all these great things, damnit!! LOL

Back