Illusione ~HL~ Review

dwhitacre

My Other Brother Darrell
The Holy Lance (~HL~) is the newest cigar in the Illusione line.

Origin: Honduras
Length: 7.5
Ring: 40
Strength: Medium/Full
Wrapper Color: Red/brown
Wrapper Type: Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Shape: Lancero

I have had other Illusione cigar and can say without hesitation that this one is my favorite thus far. Recently I smoked the ~68~ and found it to be full strength and enjoyable but the ~HL~ is more medium, yet more flavorful and complex.

They come 25 in a simple wooden box
hl00of1.jpg

The construction is flawless and tightly packed (not as tight as the other Illusiones I have had). The wrapper seems lighter than other Illusiones.
hl01rb6.jpg

The draw was perfect and the first few puffs were bitter... Walnut flavor! Other flavors were experienced throughout the smoke. A lot of coffee notes!
hl02tc0.jpg

The ash is Zebra striped. The ash didn't hold very long. Have this hanging over an ashtray while smoking.:2
hl03cb7.jpg

Midway through much of the bitterness disappeared and left a cinnamon and almond flavor. This flavor was complex and enjoyable.
hl04dx4.jpg

I have become accustom to Maduro cigars but this cigar had enough flavor to keep me very interested. The flavor really changed up after the midway point and I had trouble putting the cigar down. Spicy but not peppery. Ginger and a nice aroma were detected.
hl05bv4.jpg

The burn on this cigar was even throughout and needed no correcting. I nubbed this until my fingers were burnt. Ouch and yum!!!
hl06kh9.jpg

Overall Experience: Great - I would smoke this again as a favorite (glad I have more).
Construction: 9 out of 10
Price: 7 out of 10 - a little over $9.00 a stick
Flavor: 10 out of 10 - medium with nice finish
Appearance: 9 out of 10 - smooth wrapper and tight. Nice color.

The Illusione Holy Lance is one of my favorite Lanceros. Ok. It's my favorite. It has some very nice flavors. Spice, floral, Coffee, Cedar, with a nice smoothness and richness that makes it all come alive. I find it on the mild side of med but almost full flavored. What it lacks in power it makes up in flavor. Picked up a couple of boxes. Thought about letting them age a bit, but I'm halfway done with the first box and I won't be aging them more then a month or two at the rate I'm smoking. Great smoke.

Nice review Darrell! It's good to see you enjoy something that isn't a Maduro!!! I'm guessing you're a closet Cameroon smoker too!:ss

Last edited:
nice review. i picked one of these up at my local tobacconist this week. i am going to let it age for a little before i have it.

Great review. Really hoping my B & M gets the Illusione line in soon. Have been really wanting to try one.

Great Review

I love lanceros and I'm thinking that I am going to have to give this one a try. Looks like a real beauty in those pictures.

-Michael

thxs for the review.. I enjoyed the pics as well.. Im just little dissapointed that half way through this gem you still detected bitterness, oh.. thats one thing I dislike, a bitterness cigar, but i guess letting it rest in the humi for awhile will help that... I had a sample pack of the illusione and enjoyed all them... I haven't had the HL yet but wants some :tu which online vendors these babies are at..

thx again for the review.. :D

:bn See what happens when someone doesn't like bitter!!!

thxs for the review.. I enjoyed the pics as well.. Im just little dissapointed that half way through this gem you still detected bitterness, oh.. thats one thing I dislike, a bitterness cigar, but i guess letting it rest in the humi for awhile will help that... I had a sample pack of the illusione and enjoyed all them... I haven't had the HL yet but wants some :tu which online vendors these babies are at..

thx again for the review.. :D

nice review. i picked one of these up at my local tobacconist this week. i am going to let it age for a little before i have it.

If you haven't burned it by now just do it. I am a fanatic about aging but this lancero does not need to be aged. The burn is very even with lots of aromatic smoke on the one I am smoking today. The wonderful folks at Newhavanacigars put one of these in a sampler at no extra charge. Now I know why--I owe them big time.

:)

Back