I'm a beer guy, looking for suggestions to ease my way into Scotch, Whiskey, Burbon..

kgoings

Evolving Lead Gorilla
So I LOVE beer, but my waistline doesn't!

I love the idea of sipping on a glass of a (enter Scotch, Whiskey, Bourbon here) but I can't choke it down. I went to a Scotch and Bourbon tasting event (along with Ashton cigars) and tried some Knob Creek on ice. It wasn't bad, does all sipping liquors have that feeling after you sip it...where you can kinda feel the vapors in your mouth???

Call me a puss if you like lol just never been a hard alcohol kinda guy.

I feel for ya. Took me a bunch of tastings before I got the hang of scotch. It doesn't have to have that vapor feeling. I've had some moderately priced ones that were very smooth. Ezra B is one. I think Russell Reserve is good too. Rather than pick up a bottle and not like it check out the bar at restaurants you go to (some have bourbon lists), that way you can sip it before you invest in a bottle.

Don't drink much Bourbon but I liked Basel Haydens.
As far as scotch, I think Glenlivet 12 is a good first scotch - it was the first one I really liked.
You could also try for something smoother and sweeter like Glenmorangie.

Another idea would be to work your way up - e.g. learn to like a vodka martini first since it is more or less flavorless. Or sip some Grand Marnier since it is strong but not as strong as scotch...

:2

I find Scotch, Whiskey, and Bourbon can take a little to get use to. Start with something good but not too expensive. A nice 12 year single malt scotch would be good. Start out putting a few ice cubes into low-ball glass, then add a few ozs of scotch/whiskey/bourbon. Let this sit for a little bit so the ice melts and waters down the alcohol a little...and sip it. If this is too much, you could mix a little coke or something in it. Eventually, start putting less ice (and less coke if you go that route) in the glass. Once you can start appreciating the not-so-expensive brands, then I'd recommend jumping up to the good stuff (consult others for the "good stuff" brands, I do not know too much about it. I LOVE a good scotch, I just cannot afford any good stuff right now so I do not know too many brands)

Enjoy!!

To "go off the board" a bit, another liquor that is good for sipping with a cigar is a nice rum. Doesn't have some of the burn of whiskey, (I enjoy "Gentleman Jack" and Knob Creek... and Glenlivet Scotch) but the rum also pairs well with a smoke.

MANY good rums to choose from, but one I am enjoying right now that is fairly available is Zaya. Excellent sipping rum! :ss

Try the Macallan 12 year over a couple of rocks, and I promise you'll love it. I can't even tell you how many Scotch haters I've turned into Scotch lovers with a small dram of Mac 12. I don't have a taste for sipping bourbon, but I love Scotch. Do yourself a favor though and buy a decent ($40-60) bottle of single malt right away. It's been my experience with Scotch (way more than cigars, I've enjoyed inexpensive cigars. Cheap Scotch is just nasty.) that you get EXACTLY what you pay for.

My favorite bourbon for being smooth without the burn is Eagle Rare 10 Year. Try it on the rocks, that should smooth it out even more. I'm going to start trying some of the rums mentioned in another thread.

My favorite bourbon for being smooth without the burn is Eagle Rare 10 Year. Try it on the rocks, that should smooth it out even more. I'm going to start trying some of the rums mentioned in another thread.

odd, I had this once, in a tasting of 5 or so bourbons with neighbors, and it was my LEAST favorite - I thought it had a burning/bracing flavor.
:r

Some people are just not cut out to drink whiskey. My favorite drink is Gentlemen jack, its smoother then regular Jack Daniels. When I was younger I hated whiskeys but I had friends that like them and they showed me how to get started. This worked for me so here goes.

One way to learn how to drink/sip a whiskey or bourbon is to order it on the rocks. Put a shot of whiskey in a glass with lots of ice. Let the ice melt, try sipping it, if it’s to strong, let it sit a little longer as the ice melts it will dilute the whiskey or bourbon. At some point it will reach a point where you can drink it. Over the course of time you will find that you need to wait less time before you can enjoy it and at some point you will no longer need the ice at all and will be able to sip whiskey without that undesirable effect you get. Don't know if that works for all alcohol but it does work for whiskeys and bourbon’s. That is how I learned and now I can sip whiskey and enjoy it with or without ice!

See PM.

Also good advice from bwalker2us:

"One way to learn how to drink/sip a whiskey or bourbon is to order it on the rocks. Put a shot of whiskey in a glass with lots of ice. Let the ice melt, try sipping it, if it’s to strong, let it sit a little longer as the ice melts it will dilute the whiskey or bourbon. At some point it will reach a point where you can drink it. Over the course of time you will find that you need to wait less time before you can enjoy it and at some point you will no longer need the ice at all and will be able to sip whiskey without that undesirable effect you get."

I agree, try a good rum if you can get
cr_14.jpg
get this :tu

As pointed out Gentleman Jack is a good place to start. Jack Daniel's Single Barrel is close to a good Scotch. Mac 12, as previously mention is a nice Scotch to start with. At the $30 mark look at The Dalmore Cigar Malt. Try it neat (no ice) or with no more than 3 cubes (after the pour). You also might want to mix it with a little water or club soda. Just be careful if you do it in some bars. I know a bartender who almost beat the crap out of a guy for ordering 25 yr old Macallan and Coke just to impress a date. Of course if I had of been there I would have had him give the the Mac 25 and mix the idiot's Coke with Cluny. He would have never known the difference.

Don't drink much Bourbon but I liked Basel Haydens.
As far as scotch, I think Glenlivet 12 is a good first scotch - it was the first one I really liked.
You could also try for something smoother and sweeter like Glenmorangie.

Another idea would be to work your way up - e.g. learn to like a vodka martini first since it is more or less flavorless. Or sip some Grand Marnier since it is strong but not as strong as scotch...

:2

You have to say it real fast, all one word: "Basulheydun". Imagine Billy Bob Thorten saying it. That's a good recomendation.

Back