Im moving soon-QUESTION's

Guitarman-S.T-

...Got Metal?
As august 1st comes my way im driving myself and hauling a whole mess of things to my new home across the country ( originally MN, in august Nevada)
as of now i have 2 humidor's and a big ole tuppador.. problem is .. how the hell am i going to move all of these cigars for the trip... i know it will take me a few days drive to get there so when i stop to get a room i will Always bring my babie's in with me so the heat doesnt get to them ( hehe i know tell me about it what a protective father)
but what should i do with them... bag them all in 5 sleeve ziplocks?... cram them all in plastic containers with ceder and beads with some bubble wrap for protection... or put them all in random cigar box's i have laying around and bit them all in a cooler ( that i was really thinkin about lately)

Any advice?

And one more thing if its a little off topic.. BEADS!?
people say there the best.. they do work wonders.. but for some odd reason i only use 65% and 60% but in all of my plastic tuppador's and even in my humidors its always about 70%+ so i tend to have them dry out abit before i light up.. whats the deal? The beads are not fully charged.. some of the tuppador's beads are fully dry.. so i would think it would absorb moisture.. sure doesnt.. i must have lost some info somewhere but lately im letting my humidors dry out a little with the lid open because in my room recently the natural humi % is right about 60-65% so perfect... but those blasted humidors have been bolting... AAHH!
Thanks again guys, atleast this way i take care of 2 birds with one blasted stone :hn

I would say to just use easy to carry coolers. Then when you get settled in re-season the humidors a bit. I would even keep the coolers up front with me and run the AC the whole way.

I would say to just use easy to carry coolers. Then when you get settled in re-season the humidors a bit. I would even keep the coolers up front with me and run the AC the whole way.

it would probably be in the back seet directly behind me ( i will HOPEFULYL have a passanger or else thats a 2-3 day drive thats going to be lonely haha, hell if thats the case i dont need to worry about transporting any sticks at all... but i will have to worry about the massive amount of cigars i will be going through on the road ;) )

This may sound like the way to go.. anyother considerations?
Thanks Smoked-

I just moved from Philadelphia to Omaha for school and drove for two days. I just unloaded all my boxes from the cabinet into big plastic garbage bags which then went into big tupperware containers. A few days outside a humidied environment is fine IMO. If you're worried, you can add one of those humidifiying packs to the bag. It may get warm from the sun and stuff, but it's no different than the normal treatment cigars get when being shipped from a vendor.

My desktop humidor just went in the car with me in the front seat and the cabinet humidor got shipped UPS ground in the original box that I had saved.

I had no problems moving my cigars like this and they made it in perfect condition.

I just moved from Philadelphia to Omaha for school and drove for two days. I just unloaded all my boxes from the cabinet into big plastic garbage bags which then went into big tupperware containers. A few days outside a humidied environment is fine IMO. If you're worried, you can add one of those humidifiying packs to the bag. It may get warm from the sun and stuff, but it's no different than the normal treatment cigars get when being shipped from a vendor.

My desktop humidor just went in the car with me in the front seat and the cabinet humidor got shipped UPS ground in the original box that I had saved.

I had no problems moving my cigars like this and they made it in perfect condition.

very good thought! did not realize that the shipping original is no different then transporting etc... any advice on the bead situation?
im pretty set now on just gettin a cooler and place all the box's in it so my humidors can be unloaded, but i will probably put a few water pillow's in them so they wont need much seasoning when the trip is over-

For a two/three day move, as long as the heat doesn't become an issue, you will be fine in a cooler. I'd use boxes just to limit the temp/humidity swings and to protect your babies just a little more.
As for the beads, you are probably not getting enough air exchange. It's pretty typical in the summer when using a cooler, a humidor would be a little different, but not unheard of. When's the last time you checked your hygrometer?
Regardless, 70% is fine, you already said you were dryboxing before smoking so that answered that. Be careful of temps when you have humidity that high, mold can happen quick.

I have the answer to your prayers: Send me your sticks and I'll safegaurd them then I'll send most of them back when you settle in.

I'm not sure if anyone mention this?

How about having it shipped over night or 2nd day to your new place? by somone you trust? Wrap it up well. I know it will cost you but maybe its worth it, if it will get it off your head while travling? One way I would not ship it is UPS I saw my driver kick boxes.

Jack

I'm more than willing to baby sit them for you till you get settled in. :r
For a couple of days drive they should be fine no matter how you decide to package them. Cigars are more rezealant than most people think. IMHO. :tu

haha thanks alot guys i think im goign the cooler route =]
I MAY run out of room and if i do i may have to send some out to you guys to.. Hold.. for me :ss

i just moved, only went across town. but my sticks sat shotgun, if you are accompanied then they are the stogie protector, stogies on their lap.

Get some of those ice packets, the ones you put in the feezer. Wrap them in plastic and place on top of your cigars. That should take care of the temp problem.

Huh, I was just about to ask a very similar question...I am moving, in the end of July, to Las Vegas, from Hudson, WI...I needed this advice as well, thank you guys! And Gutiarman S.T., where in Nevada are you moving to, and I also have to ask why...just curious...I am moving there to go back to school...

Huh, I was just about to ask a very similar question...I am moving, in the end of July, to Las Vegas, from Hudson, WI...I needed this advice as well, thank you guys! And Gutiarman S.T., where in Nevada are you moving to, and I also have to ask why...just curious...I am moving there to go back to school...

holy hell bro, im going to Las Vegas ( north vegas actually) better part of town imho. For schooling as well-
Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute starts for me august 20th so i gotta be there by the 4th to settle in...
we SHALL herf PLENTY of times there man KEEP IN TOUCH-
pm anytime

Thats Awesome! I actually leave to sign my lease in early July...but, I can easily be found now at St. Croix Cigar in downtown Hudson should you ever find yourself in that neck of the woods...

I just did a cross-country move (literally - from Richmond, VA about 2 hours from the east coast to Irvine, CA five minutes from the west coast). I put all my cigars in my humidor, put the humidor in its box with the styrofoam liners, and put it in the cab.

I lost three cigars to mold.

What happened is that the humidifier fell off the top of the humidor, and the cigars directly under the vents had water drip on them. Combined with the stagnant air from being boxed and foamed, I lost three of my cigars, including my only Cuban. Luckily, I now live close enough to Tijuana that I can go buy another to replace it.

I never brought the humidor inside or opened it (or the box it was in) up for the whole trip. If you keep the humidor in the cab with you, you should be able to leave it in at night with no problems. Keep an eye on the humidity, and make sure that if you have a crappy flower foam humidifier it doesn't drip/fall.

Needless to say, I just ordered some beads from Heartfelt. But cigars are a lot hardier than you're giving them credit for :)

thanks, the trip went very well for me and im sure i didnt loose a single stick just with piling all my cigars in box's and placing them in a cooler:tu

and Thank YOU justin for coming to hemingways and doing a little herf action from time to time, a good friend is great, but a quality BOTL.. are few and far inbetween. YOU THE MAN!

Back