In all my years of smoking...

parshooter

Maturing Primate
I don't think this has ever happened before. I was enjoying a Padron Anniversary piramid last night. Everything was going well until the last 1/4 of the cigar. It all of a sudden turned nasty bitter, like a Cuban in the sick period. I took another puff to make sure it wasn't a one-time deal, and it was just as bad. I don't know how old the cigar was, as I got it in a secet santa pass just a couple of weeks ago. Went on to a Hoyo des Deiux and life was once again great. :tu

Hate to hear that.... The Padron anni is one of my favorites, I dont think I've ever had one get bitter.. that stinks.

If I do have a stogie turn bitter I'll try and purge the cigar, I mean put the torch in front of it sit back and watch the fireworks type pugre.. that usually helps.

Did you purge at all while smoking it? I smoked one of these myself the other night and had nothing but great results as usual but did take notice that these burn a hell of a lot slower than most other sticks and can see if smoking it without purging it that it could certainly turn bitter toward the end. Like Dgar mentioned it is sometimes good to put the flame toward the end of the cigar and purge every once in a while. Not saying you couldn't have gotten a bad stick because it happens to the best of them but just thought I would throw this thought out there as this stick took me well over an hour and a half/hour fourty five to finish were as most other smokes this size would have been an hour tops.

I know about purging. I don't do it often, don't see a need to usually. I highly doubt that it would have helped this cigar. It was that bad.

Stumbled on this while doing a search. What is purging? Sometimes towards the end of the cigar I get a strange taste. They all seem to taste the same and it's unpleasant.

I know about purging. I don't do it often, don't see a need to usually. I highly doubt that it would have helped this cigar. It was that bad.

That too bad brother, I had one a couple weeks ago and it wa snice, nothing spectacular but nice. I had been told so many great things about and probably expected too much! However I would buy another one to try but after your experience Im not so sure...

If you try another let us know what your thoughts are please.

I will buy a couple and let them set, maybe you had a humidity problem on this one?

Stumbled on this while doing a search. What is purging? Sometimes towards the end of the cigar I get a strange taste. They all seem to taste the same and it's unpleasant.

My version of purging a cigar...

If that stogie gets a little bitter, ash the stogie.. light the torch right in front of the cigar... and exhale through the cigar, blow! you'll see a nice flame (its very cool, watch the folks around as they gaze and wonder what the heck your doing:ss) all the junk in the stogie thats tasting bad is getting burned up.. give it a couple seconds then puff away.

I wondered the same thing once and found this article that explains it pretty well--about 1/2 way down--they all it "superheating the coal" you can do it without lighting or with lighting the end.

http://www.tabacordillera.com/how-to-smoke-a-cuban-cigar.htm

I don't know if purging is the answer or not. I purge when I smoke, but still have cigars that reach a point of no return.

One thing I have learned..... When you take that draw close to the end that has that questionable taste........ Throw the cigar away. DO NOT take that next puff. It is always nasty, nasty, nasty; and will often ruin the pleasure the stick gave you to that point. I occasionally forget my own experiences, and take that last draw........... Never turns out for the good!!

Purging does seem to keep that last, nasty draw at bay a little longer, but when a stick turns on you, you gotta let it go:ss

Purging does seem to keep that last, nasty draw at bay a little longer, but when a stick turns on you, you gotta let it go:ss

Words of wisdom right there.

I forget where I read it, but some famous cigar smoker said he always heaved the cigar by the half way mark. Now, being a cheap-a$$ be-atch, I feel bad doing that, but if a purge doesn't get the flavor back on track, I dump my cigar and look for another.

Words of wisdom right there.

I forget where I read it, but some famous cigar smoker said he always heaved the cigar by the half way mark. Now, being a cheap-a$$ be-atch, I feel bad doing that, but if a purge doesn't get the flavor back on track, I dump my cigar and look for another.

Churchill never smoked more then half a cigar.That was barbaric to him :)

Churchill never smoked more then half a cigar.That was barbaric to him :)

Thats why I wonder about the nubbing, everytime i even get close to an end of a cigar they all have that bitter taste... Opus, PAM, actually any/ all smoke. Ive never nub a cigar because of the close end bitterness... can some of u nubbers tell me how ya do it.... :hn

you should have checked the cap, some liquid tar gets out on the cap sometiimes and YUK! Its nasty.........I bet thats what it was.

Thats why I wonder about the nubbing, everytime i even get close to an end of a cigar they all have that bitter taste... Opus, PAM, actually any/ all smoke. Ive never nub a cigar because of the close end bitterness... can some of u nubbers tell me how ya do it.... :hn

I wish there was some magic to it!!! I think it really has more to do with the individual cigar. Maybe just the prefect set of circumstance comes together. I wish I knew. I've had maybe a dozen in the last three years that I cherished all the way to finger burning.

I figure when and how have a big part to do with it. Smoking a good cigar, right weather, plenty of time, no need to rush, cigar that is cut, aged and humidified perfect, all coming together at the same moment. :)

I will wait patiently for the next nubber to come along. It's there, just over the horizon, beckoning me ever onward.:D

you should have checked the cap, some liquid tar gets out on the cap sometiimes and YUK! Its nasty.........I bet thats what it was.

That's what I am thinking it was. Happened to me once with an Avo Maduro, but it happened pretty soon after I started smoking. Just like you describe - went very bitter very quickly. Little droplets of tar on the cut tip of the cigar caused it. In my case wiped them off and it smoked OK, don't think I smoked it much more. I am sure there is a thread or two on this subject, and I am speculating it comes up more with maduros.

I must be doing something wrong :). Easily 90% of my cigars make it down to 0.5" +/- 0.25" with the aid of a modified alligator clip.

Will start paying attention. I use the clip to avoid charred fingers. Often the best part of a cigar for me starts with 2" or 1" to go. If it's good from the first draw to the last, it goes into the permanent rotation for sure. That list is, so far, fairly short, and looks something like this:

RPV90 (although maybe 1 out of 6 is unspectacular)
RASS
ITSFm
a few others

Example of the more common case: Until I aged them around 6 months, the Cienfuegos and Castle Halls were 2/3 of blah, 1/3 of tasty. Now better, but still not end-to-end experiences.

Anyway, it's not a long list yet.

Liquid tar just sounds nasty.

BWS

I pretty much nub most of my cigars. Rarely have an issue of bitterness. I am a very slow smoker and I do purge so I don't know if that helps. The only time I've had tar issues is with torpedos, but I don't smoke too many of those.

Back