In need of some advice.

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
I have mentioned in the past that i goto class at night to earn a degree. Well, i have a public speaking class that i have to take, its a mandatory class.

I have chosen to do an Informative speech on the History of cigars as well as educating my audiance on the basic construction and fundementals of cigars and smoking.

Its 2:30 AM and i couldnt sleep, so i wrote my outline. Its a very crude representation of what i plan on discussing. I am aware that all of the facts are not correct (Ill fix that after i am happy with the basic outline). What i would like is for you to read over the outline and give me some advice on what i should or should not have in my speach.

The only thing to keep in mind is that it has to be 100% Informative, any hints of persuasion will make me loose points from my overall grade.

Also, if you know of any good sources for cigar history id love to hear it. Im planning on heading over to the local book store during the week to pick up a book or two to help me with research.

Thanks in advance, its greatly appreciated

Informative Speech Outline​

Topic Sentence:
To inform my audience of the history of cigars, as well as demonstrate how to cue and light a cigar.
Thesus Sentence:
Being informed of the general background behind cigars, as well as understanding the fundamentals will greatly increase the enjoyment of smoking a cigar.​

Introduction:
1. Hundreds of years ago, in celebration, families would exchange items of importance with one another to demonstrate their appreciation for one another.

2. One of the most honorable and personal gifts to share was a cigar. The reason behind cigars being so important was due to the extreme difficulty to store or maintain such an item. In some cases a cigar was thought to carry more importance in society than typical currency.

3. As people and their cultures evolved, the gift of a fine cigar, even today, is viewed in high regards and should be accepted with great pride.

4. Being informed of the basic background behind cigars as well as understanding the fundamentals of cutting and lighting will greatly increase the enjoyment of smoking a cigar.​

Transition
To begin our insight to cigars we first need to understand whey they come from

Body:
1. Ancient Mayans smoked cigars for religious purposes

2. As cigar smoking became more mainstream they were used to share appreciation for those close to them in times of celebration.

3. Many years later, in countries suitable for growing and harvesting cigar tobacco, people began starting family owned plantations

4. In 1959 Fidel Castro took control of the Cuban cigar trade and dictated who these families could, and could not sell to. In response to this, Cuban cigar families fled the country and were forced to start their trade over again outside of Cuba, leaving their family name for Cuba to control.

5. 19xx JFK imposed a trade embargo with Cuba and halted all trade, which still affects us today.

6. In the 1990’s a cigar boom began. People began smoking any cigars they could get their hands on. This led to manufacturers flooding the market with low quality cigars, which caused the popularity of Cigars to subside.

7. Today we are beginning to see an increase in the popularity. As cigar smoking becomes more socially acceptable in today’s anti-smoking views, more and more people are being introduced to an age old tradition of enjoying cigars among the company of close friends and companions.

Transition
Now that you understand the basic background of cigars, it is important to understand the origins of some of the cigars available today.

1. Show Cuban Punch cigar

2. Show Honduran Punch cigar (Note they have the same name)

3. Show Dominican Fuente Cigar

4. Show JdN Nicaraguan cigar.

Transition
Even though cigars come from a range of countries, they all have the same basic anatomy.
1. Discuss the following
a. Cap
b. Head
c. Body
d. Foot

Transition
Now that we understand the anatomy, we can go deeper into what tobacco makes up a cigar.

1. Discuss the following
a. Wrapper – Show examples of AMS, EMS, Maduro, and Oscuro
b. Binder
c. Filler – Long, Short, and Mixed​

Transition
By this point, we all understand the background of cigar smoking as well as the construction and anatomy. At this point we are ready to begin smoking a cigar. Before we can smoke a cigar, we need go through the cutting and lighting process.
1. Discuss the following items used in cutting the cap (Show examples)
a. Single blade guillotine
b. Double blade guillotine
c. V-Cutter
d. Cigar scissors
e. Plug cutter
2. Discuss the following items used in lighting the foot
a. White Cedar stick matches
b. Disposable butane lighter
c. Torch lighter

3. Smoking the cigar
a. This is the most personal and subjective part of enjoying a cigar. Due to the persuasive nature of this I will leave you with two basec facts in regards to smoking
i. Do not inhale
ii. Take your time. When cigars get overheated they produce a foul taste and smell.​

Conclusion:
Now that you understand the history of cigars, the construction and anatomy of a cigar, and how to cut and light a cigar, I can only hope that I have taught you enough to feel comfortable enough to enjoy a cigar when the right time presents itself.​

That looks really comprehensive. The trade embargo was imposed in 1962 -- and my only suggestion is that you inform the class that the Havana Punch that you are showing is from say, 1959, and thus not illegal. They won't know the difference, of course.

And then I think you should adjourn to the local watering hole and offer everyone a Cremosa.

Good luck!

it looks like you have quite alot of information maybe put something in about the populartiy of cubans and the embargo. maybe use some visual cues like powerpoint and you look like you might have a 15 - 20 min speech. good luck

Sounds like you have the subject covered. The only suggestion I would have would be to add a little about care and storage (of course that may be a topic all to itself).

Depending upon how long you have to speak, you may be covering too much information. If you have less than 20 minutes, I would consider narrowing your focus.

To much of your audience, this will be their first exposure to this information. And although it's possible to get through content quickly, you need to be able to build on and reinforce your key points without moving through your transitions too rapidly. Otherwise, you are going to lose people as they will not have enough time to process and retain the information.

Covering the entire history of cigars; their construction; and how to properly cut, light and enjoy them; in one speech is very ambitious.

hoyohio said:
Depending upon how long you have to speak, you may be covering too much information. If you have less than 20 minutes, I would consider narrowing your focus.

To much of your audience, this will be their first exposure to this information. And although it's possible to get through content quickly, you need to be able to build on and reinforce your key points without moving through your transitions too rapidly. Otherwise, you are going to lose people as they will not have enough time to process and retain the information.

Covering the entire history of cigars; their construction; and how to properly cut, light and enjoy them; in one speech is very ambitious.

Im shooting for about 15 min.

I didnt put enough thought into how much of the subject i am actually covering, and think you are correct in saying i may loose people during the speech.

My thought on the history of cigars, was give a very brief time table on how they came about. Possibly limiting the speach to a sentence or two per time period. I want to give the class a general understanding of where cigars come from and how they continued to stay on track with society and we progressed.

I want to stick with the latter topics because it gives me something to hold up and show the audiance. From what i have seen in my other speaches , when people can see and touch something they are much more likely to retain the information, and this is what im looking for.

With that in mind, any suggestions on what i should consider triming up?

Rockyjr,
I was going to add information on care and storage but i was afraid that was going to put me way over my timeframe. Im shooting for right around 15 minutes.

Smokinpoke,
Initially i considered powerpoint, but we were warned about using it. My instructor feels that most people can not use it effectively and will rely on the slides rather than the speech to convey the information. With that in mind i decided to go the old fashioned route and just stand up there and start blabbing :)

Fumioso,
Thanks for the date on the embargo. Using a Cuban cigar as a visual aid completely slipped my mind as being illegal :r . Ill definately make mention that it is pre embargo, because as you said, they honestly wont know the different and it shouldnt hurt the speech even if they did.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. Please keep the suggestions comming, i want to do my "hobby" justice :w

good luck if you get nervous have one before and after your speech lite one of those bad boys up. you just have to relax and be yourself

xxwaldoxx said:
My thought on the history of cigars, was give a very brief time table on how they came about. Possibly limiting the speach to a sentence or two per time period.
If you are very concise here that will help.
xxwaldoxx said:
I want to stick with the latter topics because it gives me something to hold up and show the audiance. From what i have seen in my other speaches , when people can see and touch something they are much more likely to retain the information, and this is what im looking for.

With that in mind, any suggestions on what i should consider triming up?
You might consider trimming up some of the key milestones in history -- and instead -- focus on the many years of learning that have contributed to the cigars that are available to us today. For example, how growers have passed down their knowledge from generation to generation, how every stage of the process is important from how and where the tobacco is planted, how and when it is harvested, how it must be properly aged and then rolled by those with great skill. And finally, even after it is purchased by the consumer, that it must be stored in the right conditions to finally reach its potential. And if all of these things are done perfectly, smoking a cigar can be a sublime experience akin to drinking some of the greatest wines or eating a meal prepared by a master chef. Explain it in terms that people can already understand. People already know more about wines and food. Most people think cigars are just tobacco stuffed in a tube.

Given your thesis, this approach might have more impact in getting people to have that "Aha" moment and understand the incredible art and science behind cigars. I think the historical milestones are important, but won't necessarily have the same impact in achieving your intent. If you set it up this way, and then hold up the cigar announcing that hundreds or even thousands of years of learning and experience have made possible this cigar and moment when its potential can be realized if properly cut and lit, you may have some new converts!

Good luck and have fun. If you are passionate about something and it shows in your delivery, people will naturally respond.

I wish I could hear your speech. Perhaps you could come to Dallas and give it a dry run at the Winedale Tavern in preparation for your graded effort.(at your expense of course)--we're all poor here in east Dallas. I guarantee you an attentive audience, at least before happy hour,and a few freebies. Looks like you are assemblying a very comprehensive and interesting presentation. I'm sure you will do well with it . Good luck.

Looks like it will be a very nice speech. I remember my public speaking class.. I hated that class. I can't stand getting up in front of people and speaking.. Good idea for a topic. If I had been smoking cigars back when I took my class, I woulda done the same thing.
Scott

Walt needs to bring a recording device with him when he gives his lecture. I know I'd love to hear it too!

Full Bodied Bruce said:
I wish I could hear your speech. Perhaps you could come to Dallas and give it a dry run at the Winedale Tavern in preparation for your graded effort.(at your expense of course)--we're all poor here in east Dallas. I guarantee you an attentive audience, at least before happy hour,and a few freebies. Looks like you are assemblying a very comprehensive and interesting presentation. I'm sure you will do well with it . Good luck.

hoyohio said:
You might consider trimming up some of the key milestones in history -- and instead -- focus on the many years of learning that have contributed to the cigars that are available to us today. For example, how growers have passed down their knowledge from generation to generation, how every stage of the process is important from how and where the tobacco is planted, how and when it is harvested, how it must be properly aged and then rolled by those with great skill. And finally, even after it is purchased by the consumer, that it must be stored in the right conditions to finally reach its potential. And if all of these things are done perfectly, smoking a cigar can be a sublime experience akin to drinking some of the greatest wines or eating a meal prepared by a master chef. Explain it in terms that people can already understand. People already know more about wines and food. Most people think cigars are just tobacco stuffed in a tube.

Given your thesis, this approach might have more impact in getting people to have that "Aha" moment and understand the incredible art and science behind cigars. I think the historical milestones are important, but won't necessarily have the same impact in achieving your intent. If you set it up this way, and then hold up the cigar announcing that hundreds or even thousands of years of learning and experience have made possible this cigar and moment when its potential can be realized if properly cut and lit, you may have some new converts!

Good luck and have fun. If you are passionate about something and it shows in your delivery, people will naturally respond.

Thats some very good advise, and im going to take you up on that. I like the idea of focusing on family tradition and centuries of learning over basic history.

Im glad i posted the outline here, im more excited about it now than i was when i selected the topic. Thanks for all the help and words of encouragment guys. It is greatly appreciated.

Ill have to give some thought to picking up a small recorder and a clip on mic of some kind. It would be pretty fun to deliver the speech and have something for others to listen to if they wanted.

Oh, and a cigar afterwords is definately in order. Im thinking something special to calm my nerves, possibly my last remaining Opus X or an ISOM of some sort. :w

Well, i didnt get to change the outline like i wanted, but i did the speech on Thursday night.

My instructor says to me "Walt, its getting late, ill leave it up to you, you can do your speech tonight or wait until next week" I said id prefer to do it that night, so at 10:35 PM i started, and walked back to my seat at 10:55.

Unfortunately, i felt rushed and ended up skipping alot of what i wanted to touch on. The good part was i was over the minimum and she didnt dock for going over the alloted time.

Speech went very well. Alot of questions and best of all, we get these review sheets from all of the students on the speech and they were all awsome. Got a few "I really enjoyed your speech, definately learned something new" The clapping at the end almost brought a tear to my eye :D

I just wanted to post and say thanks to all of those that helped with suggestions. I really appreciate it

xxwaldoxx said:
Well, i didnt get to change the outline like i wanted, but i did the speech on Thursday night.

My instructor says to me "Walt, its getting late, ill leave it up to you, you can do your speech tonight or wait until next week" I said id prefer to do it that night, so at 10:35 PM i started, and walked back to my seat at 10:55.

Unfortunately, i felt rushed and ended up skipping alot of what i wanted to touch on. The good part was i was over the minimum and she didnt dock for going over the alloted time.

Speech went very well. Alot of questions and best of all, we get these review sheets from all of the students on the speech and they were all awsome. Got a few "I really enjoyed your speech, definately learned something new" The clapping at the end almost brought a tear to my eye :D

I just wanted to post and say thanks to all of those that helped with suggestions. I really appreciate it

glad it went well for you.

Congrats Walt! Now, since I didn't see that you took Jerry's suggestion to record it, we may have you re-do it on the show!

Back