Is a Larger Ring Gauge and Hinderance or a Behefit?

The Bruce

ChestBeater
Ok, lets see how far we can go before the jokes start. :D

I like the 50 Gauge Cigars since they are easier to hold in my mouth. (Oh dear.) But I have heard that a smaller gauge will have move flavor. (Oh no.) Am I missing anything by sticking with the thicker ones? (smirk) :rolleyes:

Wow the innuendo in this post it too much!

Cheers,

The Bruce
--Trying to get a good reputation. :mn

Heres how I see it...

Smaller ring gauges burn hotter, people say arent as complex ( I disagree sometimes) and present more of the wrapper flavor.

Larger ring gauges are supposedly more complex, tend to sometimes burn more unevenly (IMO), and.... well I cant think of anything else.

I usually stick to Robusto RG size of about 50 or smaller.

The moral of the story: Whatever fits in your mouth is probably meant to be there. (Notice: "your" mouth not "mine" - whew!) ;)

I think people pass by the smaller gauges generally. I know that I have a tendency to go for bigger ring gauge smokes, but have recently made a conscious effort to seek out some stuff in the 43-46 range, which I guess is still kinda medium.

The larger ring gauges may benefit from more tobacco to blend than the smaller ring gauges, but I know that it does not always equate to a better overall cigar.

I prefer the larger ring sizes up to 60,,I like a long smoke and most of these give you that,,this notwithstanding I have had plenty of smaller ring guage cigars that I thought were quite good.

Jerry in Minnesota

When smoking cheaper cigars I prefer a larger ring gauge. When sending the $$ (on a Cuban for example) I prefer panatelas.

Large ring gauges like the Brazilia line's bigger sizes and the LGC Serie R's just seem to overwhelm with the amount of smoke the bigger RG's can put out. I like smaller or concentrated smokes I guess.

All a matter of preference IMO, most people here though, may tend to favor larger RG's.... I know the majority of people who come through the shop I work at tend to sway towards smaller cigars. And by small I mean the tin sizes, they seem to be getting real popular.

I have found, in my short experience with cigars, that my preferences seem to be 45 to 52 ring size, and 4.5 to 6 inches long ( except for the ERDM Robusto/Largas ). Seems to be a good range for flavor and decent burn.

I started out smoking larger ring gauge cigars and I have switched to the "meduim" sized of 43-52. I personally just like the "fit" in my mouth as it were. Got tired of the huge cigars. Though I guess 52 is still big to some. just my .02

Herbie

I think i look stupid with a thin cigar.. Yeah, that's vanity for ya!

having said that 42 and up is good to me, and i prefer 50-54. 60 is just too big imho.

Wasn't that a quote from Brokeback Mountain??

The Bruce said:
Hey Jake, I like the 50 Gauge Cigars since they are easier to hold in my mouth. But I have heard that a smaller gauge will have move flavor. Am I missing anything by sticking with the thicker ones?

Just ribbing you!!

Actually it depends on the cigar. I've got some Boli petite coronas and Partagas Shorts that are full of flavor and some PSD4s and Cohiba Robustos that are also full of flavor. The only problem is that these sticks are full of the flavor that I LIKE, they may not be what you consider a good flavor profile. A good example is that there a lot of folks that like Maduros, personally I do not maduros at all so this eliminates a whole type of cigars from my like list.

You need to try some different smokes and develop a profile for the type of smokes that you prefer and then ask around about some smaller sticks that match what you're looking for.

Good luck!! It's the journey that makes it fun!

Tomato Tomaato.

Nc - I typically like 50 rg cigars as well. Of course that is what I usually bought and have enjoyed smaller and larger. Seems like this is the predominant RG in my humi... strange.

C - All over the map. The lil guys are the ones you have to watch.. some will kick your butt. (Then call you Sally)

Sally :D

I also prefer the 50Rg. It is not very big, or too small. lately i have been trying smaller RG to find shorter smokes but still prefer 46 to 50 RG.

and on Cubans I prefer smaller ones they seem to be more powerful than the bigger RG cubans. But still dont really look for cigars by the RG, but for the flavor profile.

Since day one I started with a 50g so I always seem to look for those. I have tried some of the smaller sizes but I have a heavy draw and heavy draw gives you hot smoke. Dont like the hot smoke too much.

I like the 45 - 52 range... Anything over 54, and I feel as though I should cut it crosswise into slices, and stuff them into a hooka...

My wife would disagree... She goes for anything that will keep my big mouth shut!

Seems I fall within the main concensus here. I prefer rg around 50, usually around 5 inches in length. Used to smoke some in the 60 rg size, but seemed like 95% of the time I had burn problems, flow problems, limited smoke output and too much time required to smoke the stick. Nothing involving taste contributed to my turn to smaller RGs. Last of the really large rg sticks I had went out in a contest I did a while back for the above reasons.

PaulHag said:
Large ring gauges like the Brazilia line's bigger sizes and the LGC Serie R's just seem to overwhelm with the amount of smoke the bigger RG's can put out. I like smaller or concentrated smokes I guess.

All a matter of preference IMO, most people here though, may tend to favor larger RG's.... I know the majority of people who come through the shop I work at tend to sway towards smaller cigars. And by small I mean the tin sizes, they seem to be getting real popular.
One thing I've noticed is that some cigar smokers prefer the smaller smokes in the winter , I guess cause we are the scourge of society now and smokers must go outside to partake and can only stand the cold for so long . I happen to like all rg's but lately my favorites are Torpedo shaped . :u

Robusto, toro and corona are the sizes I generally smoke. Some blends taste better in one size than the others, and I like to try the different sizes to see what I prefer. I really like the way a 43-46 RG smokes, I think the burn is better overall. I tend to stay away from the churchills, it's too much like an old friend when you lay it down (way too long a smoke).

IMHO - what do you like? I have a pretty good mix of cigars from big CAO Brazilias down to LGC Glorias. I open the glass lid to my humi reach in and pull out today's favorite cigar. I do prefer torp shapes though. The nice thing about them is that you can cut it in such a way to suit your own taste. Lots of smoke forced through a small opening, or you can cut them high and smoke them almost like a parejo shaped cigar. :2

Bubba -NJ said:
One thing I've noticed is that some cigar smokers prefer the smaller smokes in the winter , I guess cause we are the scourge of society now and smokers must go outside to partake and can only stand the cold for so long .

:tpd:

when it's warm outside (over 50), i prefer robustos at around 50 gauge. once in awhile, when i have loads of time to kill, i'll smoke a churchill size...

but this winter i've been smoking small cigars.

For NC, I think the larger ring gauges are generally better, but IMO this is a factor of their catering primarily to an american "bigger is better" mentality. There are very few NC cigars under 46 or 48 RG at all, and thus there is the (mis)perception that they are better than small RG. I think the Nic,Dom, and Honduran MFRs just don't find it cost-effective to make a good narrow-gauge cigar because americans don't liek to smoke them.

For cubans, some of my favorites and soem of the most magnificent cigars I've had were under 40 ring gauge. I defy anyone to smoke a Partagas Serie du Conn. #3, LGC #4, or a Monte Especiale and tell me that narrower cigars are less complex...

Lower RG cigars require a little more finesse and patience to smoke, as they CAN get hot if smoked too fast, but the payoff as far as I'm concerned is well worth it, and in my experience technique DOES count no matter what you're smoking.

Back