Is ground coffee good for cigars?

PUFFNMO

Lowland Gorilla
I have a box of Hemingway classics with about a year and a half of age on them. Smoked one a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed with the rather bland one-note woody flavor.

So I figured what the heck, why not run an experiment on them. I took about 2 tablespoons of fresh ground coffee and sprinkled it over the cigars, closed up the box and put them away.

A few days later I took them out and lit one. I was amazed at how much deeper and richer the flavor had become. It was still a mild smoke, but there was a new dimension added which I found very gratifying and enjoyable.

So, if you have any cigars which do not give you the amount of flavor you like, try it out on a few and see what happens. Maybe some of you BOTL's have done this already. Cheers, Larry.

I have paced whole coffee beans in a box of Dutch dry cigars but separated with a thin piece of cedar. Tobacco leaves are like sponges in that they will readily absorb other fragrances, for instance... Spanish Cedar. Hence the warning, "Don't store your flavored cigars with your non-flavored ones if you smoke the flavored variety." :tu

Or smoke the Drew Estate Java...I believe they took run of the mill cigars and did the same thing.

I have a friend who does this but only with sticks that have gotten too humid and he is trying to recover them, if they are left together too long it is like smoking a coffee bean but it is a nice change of pace and it does seem to bring cigars that he thought were lost back around to smokability (if thats a word)

:2

Hmmmmmmmmmm...................interesting experiment.

What made you think to try this?

Fish - I got the idea from Rudyard Kipling's poem "The Betrothed".-

(Excerpt): I will scent 'em with best vanilla, with tea I will temper their hides,
And the Moor and the Mormon shall envy who read of the tale of my brides.

I tried out vanilla by brushing a small amount of extract onto the cedar sheet that covers the cigars, and could not detect any difference in flavor.

Just to be clear on this, I would not dream of running an experiment such as this with 99% of the cigars in my humi. The only reason I did this with the Hemingways was that there were about 18 left in the box, and I was not enjoying them enough to want to smoke the rest. Cheers, Larry.

Very interesting experiment. I have a whole host of stogies that could use a flavor infusion...might be fun to try out different beans and see whether there's any noticeable difference (by that I mean as noticeable as what I taste between, say yrgacheffe and guatemalan coffees)...

You know this would be great if a few of us tried it out and did some postings - again I dont think its enough to replace our 99% of the cigars we like but kind of fun change of pace

I haven't thought about this until now, but that is an interesting point. Using a mild breakfast type coffee would certainly impart a different flavor than a heavy dark roast. And then , I hate to mention it, but what about pure Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain? Could be interesting as well as expensive!

In a lot of recipes, coffee is used to enhance the chocolate flavor. Apparently it brings out the "true" choco. flavor. It might enhance the flavor of cigars too. Post back with your findings.

Yo Puff'o. This is a very interesting experiment. I'm glad to hear your results were favorable. In your case, ground coffee IS good for cigars. Funny, though, that as much as I like strong coffee, strong pipe tobak and strong cigars I have considered the mild-ish "Hemi" sacrosanct as an NC or as part of the broader spectrum of cigars. I have a soft spot for them and really like them just the way they are. If you are stuck with a lot of these "Hemis" and grow tired of the coffee taste (or if your simply run out of coffee) I will take those woody tasting little bastids off your hands. As a courtesy, not a problem, you understand.

In a sort of twist on your method I have done something similar and had excellent results. With practically any cigar set aside (including a Hemi) I grind fresh roasted coffee and, in a variety of ways, expose it to very hot water for a couple of minutes. Then I remove the ground coffee, smoke the cigar and drink the flavored water. Now that chit works for me. Uh huh.

Merry Christmas. Try the flavored water thing. It brings up an average cigar and makes a good cigar even better. In my limited experience.

I like the thought of the experiment... but to Hemis?? I think you would have been better off selling them.

A very interesting post. I'm sure there's a lot of room for experimentation on this. Me....I'll keep my cigars in the humi. And the extracted coffee dregs in the rose garden.

I'm gonna try it on a few grassy Professor Sila's.

But then I'm the one who burned through THREE BOXES of the first Java 58's, pretty much on my own.

Oh oh oh, how I love the triple mocha! :dr

Yo Puff'o. This is a very interesting experiment. I'm glad to hear your results were favorable. In your case, ground coffee IS good for cigars. Funny, though, that as much as I like strong coffee, strong pipe tobak and strong cigars I have considered the mild-ish "Hemi" sacrosanct as an NC or as part of the broader spectrum of cigars. I have a soft spot for them and really like them just the way they are. If you are stuck with a lot of these "Hemis" and grow tired of the coffee taste (or if your simply run out of coffee) I will take those woody tasting little bastids off your hands. As a courtesy, not a problem, you understand.

In a sort of twist on your method I have done something similar and had excellent results. With practically any cigar set aside (including a Hemi) I grind fresh roasted coffee and, in a variety of ways, expose it to very hot water for a couple of minutes. Then I remove the ground coffee, smoke the cigar and drink the flavored water. Now that chit works for me. Uh huh.

Merry Christmas. Try the flavored water thing. It brings up an average cigar and makes a good cigar even better. In my limited experience.

I can understand that Hemi's are sacred to many. Could this just be a blah box? Hard to say. I will try another tomorrow and post results. Today I emptied out the coffee grounds from the box, don't want to over-do it.

Combining ground coffee with hot water you say? A very interesting idea, but I think that getting the grounds wet all the way through can't be good for them. The water would remove all the flavor from the grounds... Also, wouldn't it be difficult to puff on the cigar and pour the liquid into your mouth at the same time???:confused:

Is it the oils from the freshly ground coffee beans that penetrates the cigar wrapper?

Oh, how much of the grounds did you place on them? Were they covering all sides of the cigars?

Back