Is it normal to receive cigars dry in the mail?

webjunkie

ChestBeater
So a friend of mine got an order of cigars this past friday. What struck me was that all of the cigars in the order were just extremely dry. I've never ordered cigars online before (but that may change soon, there's a box of Montecristo Half Coronas that I've been drooling over) and I was wondering if it's normal to get dry cigars in the mail

Dry how? You mean they came with no type of humidifcation to keep them? Or they came in the mail and they are similar to kindling in nature?

No humidifcation is pretty typical... if they are dry as a bone I'd speak up to the shop who sent them.

depends on the weather but it happens especially if they are coming from half way around the world.

There are a few online vendors who seem to ship a little drier. Seems I remember most of the Thompsons stuff being shipped in very bad shape.

Receiving dried out cigars is not the norm. I've had boxes spend five days in transit in the middle of a hot summer without turning crispy. It's normal to want the smokes to rest for awhile in proper conditions, but they should be in good condition upon arrival.

It could have been just a fluke. The package only spent a couple of days in transit (from Florida to North Carolina), but the cigars were painfully dry.

Most tend to ship cigars a little on the wet side. Many also include humi packs or the like. I've never received dry cigars.

Generally speaking most vendors will make good on a shipment that is received in unsatisfactory condition.

i've never received dry cigars, but i suppose it's not impossible especially in summer-i try not to order during the warm months, or at least spring for quicker shipping if i do (due to beetle problems)-the vendor should make good on the order if you let them know-if not i'd order from somewhere else

It could have been just a fluke. The package only spent a couple of days in transit (from Florida to North Carolina), but the cigars were painfully dry.

sounds like the cigars were incorrectly stored before shipping
I can't see cigars drying out during a few days of shipping :2

On a side note I have read in discussions that some cigar buyers tend to minimize their online summer purchases due to the potential for extreme heat in those delivery trucks. Of course that is not always possible when you just gots to have it.

There are a few online vendors who seem to ship a little drier. Seems I remember most of the Thompsons stuff being shipped in very bad shape.

You admit buying from Thompsons ? :r

Dry is not to bad as long as its not on the verge of so dry the cigars are damaged.

Some humi time will get them back to normal.

I've been sliding even further down the slope recently by ordering more and more 5ers and bundles online, and I must say that most of them actually arrive a little too WET for my tastes.

I think they do that on purpose so they can survive the trip with no problems. I would assume that if you received a batch of dry sticks, they were either in transit too long, or they started off dry at their original location, and not knowing how long they were in that condition cannot be a good thing.

:2

Most boxes and bundles are wrapped in mylar, which does not pass water vapor (cellophane does). For one reason and another, I've had mylared boxes and bundles sitting out for a month or more before I cut into them, without apparent loss of moisture let alone damage to the sticks.
I've also had, through the same UPS routes (six-seven days from there to here, soggy or dry), a few bundles that were so dry I didn't dare remove the sticks from the bundles once I'd noticed a foot crack or two.

If you get dry cigars, it's almost certain they got dried out in the vendor's warehouse, not in shipping. This is a bit more common among "closeout specials" that try to get warehouse room for brands that move, or for this season's shipments of The Regular Stuff -- both scenarios have cigars in the warehouse "too long" and not among the regularly-inspected and rotated stocks.

As long as the wrapper isn't actually cracked or peeling, just put the whole slit -- but not fully unwrapped, the less handling, the better -- bundle in a humidor at ~70% RH for a week or two. The wrappers will absorb moisture first, softening and swelling ahead of the filler, so you can even rescue a bundle that already shows some damage, provided you do not handle the individual cigars, and the bundle as little as possible.

Returns/complaints are entirely up to you, but I'm not talking about a $500 box of Graycliffs, here, and such stuff would never ship in that condition, anyway.
Me: The price is not worth my repacking and sendoff, I HATE the phone (coming or going), robot e-mail responders almost as much, and, hey, if it ain't too broke I can fix it myself.
I pay overall attention to quality and service from distributors and brands, and general competition does far more to fix the baddies than I can by listening to 40 minutes of Muzak and robot ads over an 800 number.

Guluk, and VELcome to se CAStle.

Back