Is there a reason....

JPH

Ted Peffer fan club
...Humidors aren't seasoned with salt and distilled...like the hygro calibration technique?

I don't need to season anything...I was just wondering because of some recent post about seasoning.

If you're asking why merchants don't "preseason" humidors they have in stock, If I had to guess, I would say because an empty humidor just sitting on a retailers shelf is not going to stay seasoned for very long, the wood will lose the moisture it has absorbed in a fairly short period of time. Now could they keep humidifiers in all of them and keep they constantly seasoned, sure. But that would be a lot of work, checking and filling the humidifers in a bunch of humidors all of the time.

of course, I could be completely offbase:D

If you're asking why merchants don't "preseason" humidors they have in stock, If I had to guess, I would say because an empty humidor just sitting on a retailers shelf is not going to stay seasoned for very long, the wood will lose the moisture it has absorbed in a fairly short period of time. Now could they keep humidifiers in all of them and keep they constantly seasoned, sure. But that would be a lot of work, checking and filling the humidifers in a bunch of humidors all of the time.

of course, I could be completely offbase:D

A little bit Vic.....I was just wondering why I couldn't buy a new humi...and season it with salt and a few drops of distilled since it will leach 75% humidity....

I don't know if leach is the right word.... but it sounded good ...lol

A little bit Vic.....I was just wondering why I couldn't buy a new humi...and season it with salt and a few drops of distilled since it will leach 75% humidity....

I don't know if leach is the right word.... but it sounded good ...lol
my bad, :r I don't know the right answer, it's a good question but scientifically speaking WAY over my head.:D

it might be possible, but wouldn't it take a long time for the process to take place?

just a guess, but if people are worried about anything but distilled water messing up a humi, I would imagine that salt water would be even worse... especially in terms of mineralization and clogging up wood pores...

my bad, :r I don't know the right answer, it's a good question but scientifically speaking WAY over my head.:D

it might be possible, but wouldn't it take a long time for the process to take place?

It might......but I know a little Tupperware stabilizes in like 5 or 6 hrs...of course nothing is getting absorbed...so.....I don't know....

the post above has a good point...but I don't know if the salt solution (basically all salt and only a few drops of water) would let any salt go into the humi....good thought

It might not be able to give off enough water for the wood to absorb - I think an unseasoned humi would dry it out real fast. And a giant pile of moist salt would just be a lot of trouble.

It might......but I know a little Tupperware stabilizes in like 5 or 6 hrs...of course nothing is getting absorbed...so.....I don't know....

the post above has a good point...but I don't know if the salt solution (basically all salt and only a few drops of water) would let any salt go into the humi....good thought

hopefully not into the cigars either... yuck

also, as Trogdor suggests above, I'd guess that keeping the salt/water mixture sufficient with enough water would be difficult... (in most cases, unless you live in a swamp;) )... so you will need to add water... and if you keep opening and closing your humi, it's not gonna lose RH...and there will be an associated demand for water from your mixture... also, in your attempts to keep up with water demand, if you put in too much water you run the risk of disolving the salt and sending the dissociated molecules into the air and then possibly run into the issue of remineralization on/in the humi and, worse, on/in your cigars later... I think.

also, as Trogdor suggests above, I'd guess that keeping the salt/water mixture sufficient with enough water would be difficult... (in most cases, unless you live in a swamp;) )... so you will need to add water... and if you keep opening and closing your humi, it's not gonna lose RH...and there will be an associated demand for water from your mixture... also, in your attempts to keep up with water demand, if you put in too much water you run the risk of disolving the salt and sending the dissociated molecules into the air and then possibly run into the issue of remineralization on/in the humi and, worse, on/in your cigars later... I think.

:tpd:

outside.jpg

...Humidors aren't seasoned with salt and distilled...like the hygro calibration technique?

I don't need to season anything...I was just wondering because of some recent post about seasoning.

Perhaps I would understand you question better if I knew which posts you were referring to. But just on the face of it I have to wonder why the hygro calibrating technique using salt and water would be thought of as a way to SREASON a humidor. I don't get the connection.

Perhaps I would understand you question better if I knew which posts you were referring to. But just on the face of it I have to wonder why the hygro calibrating technique using salt and water would be thought of as a way to SREASON a humidor. I don't get the connection.

I think the point was that the salt test quickly produces humidity at 75%, so it might help season the humi faster than a dish of water alone.

I agree with the others who've stated that in addition to all the reasons you might not want to do it, there probably wouldn't be enough water present to season the wood anyway.

oops... I meant, "it's not gonna keep RH" or "it's gonna lose RH"

Back