Is this bad form?

Bobb

je snork donc je suis
So A friend of mine is a new daddy as of yesterday. I figured what better gift to give than cigars. The only problem is, $$ is kind of tight. So this is my plan:

I work in a cigar shop, so I get free samples all the time from reps. I have smoked at least one of all of them and they are not that bad...some of course are better than others. Over the last two years, I have collected many of these samples that I have already tasted, and to be honest, I do not plan on smoking them. Is it bad taste to give them as a baby gift? Like I said, they are not total dog rockets, but they are definitely not my favorites. I figured most of them will be handed out to people who are not cigar smokers...and will probably put the stick down half way through smoking anyways. I do however plan on giving one or two very nice smokes for the father to smoke.

Let me know what you think. I appreciate your feedback.

~Bobb

A gift should be something that the other person will appreciate. If the other person will appreciate the gift, then go for it.

Go for it! Shouldn't matter where you got 'em! One should not look a gift horse in the mouth! And, it's the thought that counts! For all of the above, I say don't hesitate to do what you are planning!

If he is a cigar smoker, do like you said. Give him a few nice sticks. I see nothing wrong with giving the others for him to pass out. It's a great gesture. And, we all have to prune our stash from time to time. It is like a fruit tree. If you don't prune, you don't have new fruit.:tu

I promise I have only been smoking cigars today. Just in an analogy making mood.:D

Sounds ok to me. It's more the thought that counts besides the cigar. Tell him which ones you think he'll like and the others he can hand out to friends. :tu

I've been digned too many times now by giving out friends and family the good cigars to have them only smoke 1/8 to 1/3 of them. No more I bought some decent $1.50 sticks for them now.

As long as the new dad gets some nice sticks I think you're doing it the way it should be done.

I think it is the gesture of the gift as opposed to the price of the stogie, particularly if he is not an experienced smoker. :tu

Would be worse if you gave him a ESG or Opus X and he smokes an inch, can't appreciate it and pitches it. :2

Good in my book. It's the thought and the act of gift giving that really matters, not what is actualy given.

If he's not a cigar smoker, there's no reason to give him ANY nice cigars. They will just taste like the $2 kind you buy at Walmart. If he IS a cigar smoker, then that sounds like a pretty good plan. Perhaps cigars aren't the best gift for a non-smoker, though. My .02.

a cigar is still a cigar, if someone gives me a opus or a Padron 64 i could care less wether or not he bought it.

Well being that my wife is due with our twins any day now, I think I can provide some input. I say its a great gift and very thoughtful. I don't see how its any different than gifting sticks out of your own humi, which I always enjoy getting.

For me, I would certainly appreciate getting something like that from any of my friends in the coming days.

Oh and congrats to your friend.

Well being that my wife is due with our twins any day now, I think I can provide some input. I say its a great gift and very thoughtful. I don't see how its any different than gifting sticks out of your own humi, which I always enjoy getting.

For me, I would certainly appreciate getting something like that from any of my friends in the coming days.

Oh and congrats to your friend.

Congrats and good luck!

I think that that is a great gesture!!!:tu

I'm with many who have given out expensive smokes just to have them put out 1/3rd of the way through.

Save your friend a couple of nice ones to share when you have a moment to yourselves!:ss

I nthink it is a great gift. It is the thought that counts and I am sure your friend will appreciate it.

I think its a great plan as long as they're "reputable" sticks--and by that I only mean not the $1 no-name house blends sold at Thompsons. (no-name house blends from some of the other shops are ok!)

I don't think you should ever feel bad about giving away decent cigars just because you don't like them. Heck, everybody's tastes are different, especially when it comes to cigars. What you think is average or too mild or too strong will likely suit someone else's tastes perfectly.

Example -- I like JR Montecristo Cuban Alternative cigars. 75% of the people on this board think JR Alts suck. But that's ok-- I'd prefer one of those "alts" to a $9 Gurkha Class Regent -- It's all a matter of taste.

But I agree with others on this board--never give out rare or really premium cigars like a God of Fire or Padron Anniversay unless you know the recipient is a cigar smoker who has the palate to appreciate it.

Back