it gets worse

I don't know what to think of this. What will they say next? Nobody can go out for a drink? Nobody is allowed to eat more than 2000 calories a day?

Where will they stop?

ALostTexan

This is getting Fu----g INSANE!!

But, here's a little tidbit to chew on (no, it's not a cigar butt, LOL).

California, as you may have been hearing or reading, has runaway problems with its Worker's Compensation Insurance costs. Now Police work is considered very stressful, and if a Police Officer suffers a Heart Attack even as long as 15 years after retirement (straight up here), it's considered work related AND the suffering officer is eligible for disability pay for having a heart attack (yes, even if he's retired).

While cigarette smoking is one of the biggest risk factors related to heart attacks, cigarettes are not cigars, and the risk of heart related problems with cigars smoking is not the same. [Health reports that risks from cigars have to do with nicotine loads and second hand smoke exposure -- FYI]

Anyways, while I see some of the logic behind the Sheriff's dept. in Riverside, CA, I still think it's pretty FU---D UP logic!! Whew, nuff said!

MoTheMan

Death to the Smoking Nazis

If I did not see it I would not believe it. The govornment is not a parental unit and should not be able to control what people do as long at it is leagle. lf they want to cut their helth costs keep the cops from getting FAT!!! I smoke and live with a cig smoker and I am in excellent heath...even run marathons. With a governer like Arnie you would think that resolution would meet stiffer opposition.
Reality is for those who lack imagination

welcome to the new US. we have nationalized everything, and now we are subject to government limits on any of our behavior that involves that which we have nationalized. i cant imagine if any of that national health care crap goes through in 2008. not only will it destroy the quality of our health care system, it will make our behavior subject to those paying for it...the government/people. id much rather pay my own premiums and decide for myself whether or not i want to take certain risks (motorcycle helmet, seatbelt, smoking, drugs, retirement savings, etc etc etc)

IMHO, the sole purpose of the govt is to protect our private property, nothing else. Dont tell me what to worship, what to eat, what to smoke, what to wear, or what doctor to go to.

The annual cost of smoking in medical expenditures and lost productivity is about $72 billion. Don’t get me wrong, that's a ton of money, but when you look at the larger picture the figure is not as impressive.

Health care costs as a result of overweight and obesity are dramatically higher. The annual cost of diabetes alone is over $132 billion.

Heart disease is the #1 killer in America. If only 17% of the population are smokers, it’s safe to assume that the other 83% of people who may die from a heart attack didn't because they exercised too much. But nobody would ever have the hubris to even attempt proposing legislation outlawing or taxing fast food.

Attacking smokers is easy because they are a minority. Nearly half of all Americans are overweight, so guess who’s gonna get burned at the stake.

If they really want to create a healthy work force they should look at introducing mandatory Physical Training (PT) and a weight control program similar to the Army. Police officers, IMHO, have too great a responsibility for protecting civilian life to allow themselves to be in substandard physical condition. Smoking is the least of their worries though.

Back