It seemed like a good idea at the time....

reggiebuckeye

Proud Member of the 1%.
My friend decided she wanted to try smoking cigars last night. I have been smoking for over ten years and figured why not. We finished our dinner and made the drive to the only B&M open at that time of night. This is not my favorite place to go, but it was close and open till 10 PM.

So we get there at 9:59. I rush right to the humi. I am a Pepin whore, so I go looking for a Pepin. I grabbed a JJ. Not a bad smoke, but I will stick with my black. Anyway, I tell the lady working in the shop that my friend is a new smoker and looking for something light and mild. She proceeds to ask my friend if size matters. (Obvious joke was needed there, but I was too focused getting smokes.) She hands my friend a Perdormo Reserve Champagne Cabinet Series P. This is a 54 ring, 5 inch, Connecticut wrapper, with a Nic filler. I had my reservations at the time, but said ok.

Well, we get back to her place and proceed to smoke. I give her the basics of smoking and help her light her cigar. Things are going well. We talk and smoke. It was an enjoyable time. She did accidently inhale once. She never made that mistake again. Well, after about an hour of smoking time, I am done with my Pepin and she is finishing up her cigar. I ask her if she has a broom. I want to clean up her stoop. She goes to stand up and says she is buzzing. I expected that. The next thing is what gets me. She is trying to allow the buzz to settle so she can go inside. She rushes past me to the bathroom. She is in there for five minutes :pu.

I feel like such an idiot. I wanted to bring her along slowly, but I fear she started with too much cigar.

On the plus side, she finished the whole cigar. Just need to explain to her about sugar whilst smoking a strong cigar, and the importance of a good meal before smoking something like that again. Tell her that she is definitely not the first to have an experience like that, nor will she be the last, and not to let that experience put her off cigars for life.

This was an after dinner smoke. She seems to still be interested. I will take her to my favorite B&M. I am sure they will find her something she can handle.

It was probably just too much for a first time smoker. I really like the perdomo, it's a nice mild smoke. I'm gonna guess that it was just too much smoke for too long for a first timer. Try a smaller, shorter cigar next time. Maybe something flavored like a CAO moontrance. Mild and quick.

That is what I was looking for. Something small and mild. It was not my recomendation for a cigar that size. I have told her to try something smaller and lighter. We have a local shop called Latin Gold that makes a nice mild cigar. They have some flavored ones I think she may enjoy. Nice stater. I have fallen way down the slope. I am hoping I can bring her along slowly.

I would agree with your assessment that there was too much cigar involved, not too strong of a cigar. The Champagne is definitely a light, very mild smoke (as it is meant to be), but the size was probably what did it.

One of the nice things about the smaller Moontrances it that they are not overwhelming, are fairly quick smokes and have a nice aroma that she would like. The flavoring isn't so infused that it makes for a harsh smoke, so that might be a good way to ease her back into trying another cigar, with mainly pleasant effects while smoking it.

Good luck!

Another vote for right smoke, wrong size. In a generic context, anyway.

However..

Even a petite corona would have had the same effect if her pace and # of draws for that blend exceeded her tolerance threshold. A draw is a draw, regardless of cigar size... I would worry less about the size and more about pacing herself and recognizing symptoms prior to having them sneak up on you. As we all know, nicotine has a creeper effect..... you don't know you've gone too far until it's 5-10 minutes too late.

I've seen some beginners on this board pay close attention to these types of facts and they got away with starting their very first smokes as JdN Antanos, without having even smoked in their lives.

Things to consider, anyhow.....

I'm not a lightweight by any stretch of the word, but I've been thrown for a loop by lighter medium cigars by accidentally inhaling them for one reason or another, or being in an enclosed room with a lot of smoke. I'd try her with a nice RyJ Bully, or Montecristo White Court, just something small to give her a better (and safer) experience.

I smoked a champagne the other night that I got in a trade. I'm not a huge fan of Perdomo, but I hadn't had one in a while so I thought I'd give it a shot. Not a bad cigar, actually.

What got me though was that despite it's mild flavor and body, by the end I was feeling the nicotine. I wasn't expecting a buzz at all, but there's a decent kick to those things-- as mentioned, it's probably the size of the cigar and the resulting volume of smoke. At the time I thought I might be smoking too fast, which I tend to do with mild cigars.

I always keep a couple Macs in the humidor for virgins. I can't smoke em myself, I can't taste anything in a Mac but warm air, but newbs can usually handle one without ill effects. I've never tried a Moontrance, but I'm betting its better than a Mac, so maybe I'll look into that as an alternative.

I know. I did feel bad about it last night. It was still sort of funny. I did try to get her to slow down, but she kept going strong.

And there ya have it :ss :r

Less badass, more technique.

Perdomo Reserve Champagne Torpedo was my first, second, third, fourth and fifth cigar, no problems whatsoever.

I always keep a couple Macs in the humidor for virgins. I can't smoke em myself, I can't taste anything in a Mac but warm air, but newbs can usually handle one without ill effects. I've never tried a Moontrance, but I'm betting its better than a Mac, so maybe I'll look into that as an alternative.

I will have to try that. I only smoke the Mac Maduros. I like a nice strong cigar. I did have a few puffs of her Perdomo. It was a tasty smoke.

The best way to learn to swim is to just jump in the deep end of the pool I guess. I'm sorry to hear that she threw up but did she enjoy it? The smoking not the throwing up part?

I don't know why people always say to smoke medium to full bodied cigars after a meal? Personally smoking any cigar, for me, causes me to get hungry and not nauziated.

If I smoke something with a bit of punch to it I always get hungry (in a good way) right after or shortly after.

Maybe becaue I've been a cigarette smoker for so many years. Who knows.

In any case, I hope that once she threw up that she felt better and that the night wasn't a complete disaster.

You might want to tell her that you know "guys" who would have gotten sick off of the same cigar after only smoking half of it. That should bolster her to trying it again eventually.

The best way to learn to swim is to just jump in the deep end of the pool I guess. I'm sorry to hear that she threw up but did she enjoy it? The smoking not the throwing up part?

I don't know why people always say to smoke medium to full bodied cigars after a meal? Personally smoking any cigar, for me, causes me to get hungry and not nauziated.

If I smoke something with a bit of punch to it I always get hungry (in a good way) right after or shortly after.

Maybe becaue I've been a cigarette smoker for so many years. Who knows.

In any case, I hope that once she threw up that she felt better and that the night wasn't a complete disaster.

You might want to tell her that you know "guys" who would have gotten sick off of the same cigar after only smoking half of it. That should bolster her to trying it again eventually.

I talked to her about it before starting this thread, she seems interested in trying again.

bless her heart, at least she tried to enjoy the smoke with you until the end..she's got heart cant knock that:ss

She has tons of heart. A true trooper.

Here's an update. I talked to her a little while ago. She is going to my favorite B&M today. She wants to try again. It didn't work out that bad after all.

Excellent! Everyone will probably have an experience like that at some point, good to hear she wasn't too thrown by it :). I hear drinking Coke (or another sugary drink) before, or while smoking can help combat the nicotine.

I'm currently coaching my fiance along into cigars. Her fave so far is the nestor reserve connecticut robusto...she also likes the RP vintage stuff especially the 92. We both enjoy our smokes with coffee, cappuchino, root beer or cream soda...

maybe you friend will like the Nestor too...I found it very mild...almost too mild for me, but my girl really likes one after dinner:)

Back