J. Newman Died

You know, when I first saw that picture I was thinking "Alan Greenspan smokes cigars? Man, he looks worse than when I last saw him on TV."

Then I read further :rolleyes:

Ninety years huh? He had a good run, and produced a damned fine product. When the old ones leave, they leave a void thats for sure. A toast to his shade.

MisterSurgery said:
You know, when I first saw that picture I was thinking "Alan Greenspan smokes cigars? Man, he looks worse than when I last saw him on TV."

Then I read further :rolleyes:

:tpd: It does look exactly like him!!

I have met him personally, a gentleman with a good sense of humor and possessing vast knowledge about the cigar industry of old.

RIP Stanford......

okay a great man in the industry he was but there are a couple things that strike me about this story..

1. he suffered cardiac arrest while working at the office..

He's 90 years old and he still "at the office" I sure hope get to retire at least by 85..

2.Stanford’s liver is being donated to a patient in critical need

Okay, in how bad of shape do you have to be to need a 90 year old mans liver who smoked cigars heavily for 72 years.. Now I am not sure exactly what kind of effect that has on ones liver, but I don't want any organs that have been put through that.

Disclaimer: Not saying that I wouldn't do that to my own liver..

Stanford was at the "office" because he wanted to be there. He didn't have to work.....his two sons run the business. But he was passionate about cigars, and the company that he built to make them.

I have his book on the cigar industry...it's a fascinating read. Especially the chapter on Havana, both before Castro took over and the events leading up to the embargo. (His company's tobacco boat was in Cuba to be loaded when the embargo came down; he could've been stuck for the money and/or had his boat impounded by Customs if it was loaded. Fortunately for him, the harbor crew honored his request not to load, and the boat managed to get away unscathed.)

Bruce said:
Stanford was at the "office" because he wanted to be there. He didn't have to work.....his two sons run the business. But he was passionate about cigars, and the company that he built to make them.

Well said Bruce. :)

Back