J.R Cigar Slips Further

Jeff

Head to the grindstone...
Anyone get a chance to peruse the new JR Cigar cat?

The first four pages are dedicated to AyC Grenadier and Garcia y Vega. I think Lew Rothman has officially became the patron saint of drugstore machine mades. :r

Other highlights: The new Oliva cigar celebrating the 100th Anniversary of Angel Oliva's birth looks nice. ERDM has raised all their prices 25%.:hn

It's been a long time since I purchased from there.
Seems much smaller companies are offering better deals on stuff that JR does and doesn't carry.

I did notice that nice 2 page spread.. nothin but the best!! The do have a killer deal on 5 packs of the Brazilia right now.. Comes out at 2.60 a piece

Cigar Jockey said:
Seems much smaller companies are offering better deals on stuff that JR does and doesn't carry.
JR has some great freebies from time to time. I wish I got one of those Montecristo Jackets a couple of months back. The Cigar Oasis promotion is a great deal as well. You do not see those deals at other companies. They probably have the best relationship of any vendor with Altidas. And remember, they also make those cheap boxed cigars on the front pages.

I just got mine yesterday. My first thought was WTF!?! I half expected to see Swishers, White Owl, Phillies and Backwoods on the following pages. :pu There was very little in there that looked good. Seems the only good stuff is sold in 5ers???

Puro.Esq. said:
I just got mine yesterday. My first thought was WTF!?! I half expected to see Swishers, White Owl, Phillies and Backwoods on the following pages. :pu There was very little in there that looked good. Seems the only good stuff is sold in 5ers???

That's exactly right. The only good stuff is in the 5ers and even then there's only a couple of them. I'm definitely disappointed in this latest catalogue.

Since we are talking about th JR Cat. One thing I did see in there was a brand I have never tried and heard very little about. That is the Nat Sherman brand. Anyone ever try these. The first ad for them in the cat. "looked" ok and you get a free ashtray. Any reviews or warnings???

Puro.Esq. said:
Since we are talking about th JR Cat. One thing I did see in there was a brand I have never tried and heard very little about. That is the Nat Sherman brand. Anyone ever try these. The first ad for them in the cat. "looked" ok and you get a free ashtray. Any reviews or warnings???
I have not had a Nat Sherman in a few years, but I remember them being pretty good. I think they were in the mild to medium side. I have seen the ashtrays and they are really nice!!! I would consider giving it a try if you are looking for a nice ashtray.

My last two purchases have been from L. Lynn Cigars. They have good prices, friendly customer service, and the damm boxes are here in two days, verses JR's which take 5-6 days. JR's does have a larger selection, but I enjoy doing business with L. Lynn's.

Cigar Jockey said:

I used to purchase all my cigars from JR; in fact my first box purchase was the Monte Robustos w/ a free jacket (yes, I scored one,:) it's nice...).

After a few more JR purchases, I have finally started to use other vendors simply because they didn't carry cigars I was mainly interested in (namely Padrons). And they have been out of Hemmingways for months.

Sounds like they have gone downhill...

UP IN SMOKE said:
I received some sticks from them that were very dry. I payed for the 2day service too.

That's why I've stopped using JR's, everything I got was really dry!!! There are better deals out there, you just have to look around a bit.

I heard somewhere (internet probably, so its gotta be true) that machine made cigars make up the bulk of the cigar sales (volume and cost). Seems like JR might be trying to lure those machine-made cigar smokers into buying other cigars.

If you are in the market for a Cigar Oasis, then I think you ought to take them up on their deal.

I'm a bit intrigued by the new Oliva Angel 100 cigars. I might have to get a box of Mayorgas (or one of the other brands) just to try the Angel 100s.

17Crash said:
My last two purchases have been from L. Lynn Cigars. They have good prices, friendly customer service, and the damm boxes are here in two days, verses JR's which take 5-6 days. JR's does have a larger selection, but I enjoy doing business with L. Lynn's.

Yep, I second that. Picked up a box of La Finca robusto blacks yesterday from there - 28.00 plus shipping.

drob said:
Yep, I second that. Picked up a box of La Finca robusto blacks yesterday from there - 28.00 plus shipping.

My local B&M sells them for $30 a box. See if you can find someone there who sells them and save the postage.

JR has the worst Postage system. I wanted to order some accessories from them, but by the time you added $2.50 for each item, the postage was $15 for a $20 order.

I am biased. I hate JR's, since Altadis bought the majority of it. That stunt with the rag, I still mad. They can kiss my :BS , there are better places for my money.

Alpedhuez55 said:
My local B&M sells them for $30 a box. See if you can find someone there who sells them and save the postage.

JR has the worst Postage system. I wanted to order some accessories from them, but by the time you added $2.50 for each item, the postage was $15 for a $20 order.

I'm so close to JR that UPS ground shipping gets here overnight. The $2.50 per item charge seems a bit high unless you're purchasing a full box...then it's less than paying sales tax.

diet069 said:
I'm so close to JR that UPS ground shipping gets here overnight. The $2.50 per item charge seems a bit high unless you're purchasing a full box...then it's less than paying sales tax.

It is OK for box purchases. If you are getting 5 boxes then $15 is OK for shipping. But if you get a couple of lighters, a cutter and a Hygrometer, it is excessive.

17Crash said:
Larry is a good guy and has good pricing. RJT

Back