Jenn-Air downdraft stove ventilation

thebiglebowski

Lowland Gorilla
This is really interesting. I would have posted sooner, but my schedule doesn't permit me a lot of time (other than lurking and throwing out the occasional comment) and the workplace usually blocks me from this site. And I really wanted to get this one right, as I don't believe I've seen any comment on this subject...

Not allowed to smoke in the house, nor would I want to, but here in the mid-south, it can definately get cold and on Friday nights, our ritual (my wife and I) are martinis and a cigar. Most times it's acceptable to bundle up, drag out the space heaters and head to the screened in porch to drink and smoke. Up until the past week or so, it's been absolutely frigid in Nashville and, well, one can only take so much...

But, let me give you some back-history.

I come from up north, Chicago, and have been enjoying cigars off and on since early nineties. Since I gave up cigarettes a few years ago, my cigar consumption has become a regular thing (5 per week, on avg). Back home, a cigar-smoking-friend of a cigar-smoking-friend always bragged/joked how he would sneak cigars in the house while his wife was out and if he sat at the stove and puffed away under the Jenn-Air Hood vent, she was none the wiser! I didn't really believe him nor had I ever had the opportunity to go to his house and test it. So, no big deal.

Anyway. We built our house a little over three years ago and part of our builder's upgrades we went for were a Jenn-Air cooktop with a downdraft vent (not a hood, but one at the counter level). Let me tell you, even on the low setting, this thing sucks - pun intended. It does such a good job, that we can't use it! It diverts the flame from the burners, it draws so hard! Kind've annoying, actually... But, a month ago, it was really cold on Martini night and my wife - MY WIFE - recalled the Jenn-Air story and suggested we give it a try. So, we set up some counter stools at the stove, light a few candles, pour the martinis and fire up a BBF...

Unbelievably, it worked.

The vent has two settings - high and low. I started initially at high, but it's pretty loud. Went to low. You could, quite literally, see the smoke being sucked into the vent. Of course, I would make the physical effort to lean close and exhale into the vent as well. You couldn't smell the cigar beyond the very close proximity of the stove. 5 feet away, couldn't smell a thing. The next day - same thing, no smell! One more thing to note, the vent does run to the outside (ductwork taking exhaust outside the house) and there is a cleanable filter inside as well.

I'm telling you - if I didn't actually do it myself, I wouldn't have believed it. I've probably smoked 6 or 7 cigars inside since. And believe me - my wife does not allow smoking in the house and she says this is acceptable!

I'd love to know if any others have tried this and have had the same level of success that I have?

Cheers!

i haven't tried it, but i got a downward draft jenn-air vent system, as well. unfortunately, as you've noted, it's so strong that it diverts the flame. as a result, we rarely use it...kind of seems that the vent is affecting the effectiveness of the flame...

sorry, that wasn't totally related. :)

how much does one of these hoods run?

The stoves with the vent built in usually run around 1800 bucks and up. You can buy a seperate hood that lies flush in the counter and telescopes when in use, but they run around 1000 bucks or so just for the hood.

Your right about the power of the vent fan,,we had the stone burners which work quite well.. I am thinking of having a nice storage shed built by a local guy and then insulating it and putting in an exhaust fan, investing in a heater and using this for smoking in the winter and storage in the summer..

Jerry in Minnesota.

The stoves with the vent built in usually run around 1800 bucks and up. You can buy a seperate hood that lies flush in the counter and telescopes when in use, but they run around 1000 bucks or so just for the hood.

Not sure about the price (that seems high) - when building the house, this was an upgrade - Jenn-Air over a GE profile cooktop (I think). This is a gas burner system with the vent flush to the counter. not a hood, not a pop-up. Actually - I'll get a picture taken at some point.

I'm assuming this is the one you are talking about. We are putting this in a spec home we are building.

product_image_popup.jsp

I have found that either a dowdraft stove or a traditional "updraft" hood will suck out all of the smoke IF one takes the effort to exhale the smoke directly into the airstream. An updraft hood can actually work better due to the larger surface area collecting air and the natural rising of the smoke - from what I have seen.

I can smoke a cigar or pipe in the house as long as I can open all of the sliding doors and the wind is blowing enough to cause circulation indoors. I cant wait for it to warm up a bit!

I've got one too, designed my kitchen around it. Occasionally have a cigarette near it when running.

Overall the stove sucks, doesn't put out enough BTU's, and the downdraft sucks what little BTU's it does produce.

I spent way too much money on it because I assumed I would be happy with a Jenn-Air.

I should have followed my gut and installed a commercial wolf and a conventional hood over my island.

I went with the dual fuel, grill on one side, 2 gas burners on the other side, convection oven beneath. When I grill, not only is the heat produced by the burners too little to get a great sear, the downdraft turns on high whenever the grill function is used, and STILL sets off my smoke alarms if I happen to actually get a small bit of flame or a sausage pops on the burner surface, causing a puff of smoke. The venting has 2 settings in the orifice or outlet of the blower unit that sits under the oven and mounts to the floor. I removed the restrictor ring to get the highest flow rates possible after setting my smoke alarms off any time I used it. This stove is a damned if you do, damned if you don't piece of equipment.

I would rather have a nice 200 buck quiet exhaust fan installed (for stogie purposes) than an 1800 or 2 grand worth of stove that doesn't do anything very well.
I am going to make a 2-3 inch "collar" out of stainless when I can figure out how to so you can place it around the fan intake, hopefully allowing the fan to still pull smoke and steam from above the burners without pulling it straight from the sides of the burner/grill grates, letting some of the pathetic heat production actually go to cooking food instead of being wasted and sucked down into the body of the stove.
jennair.jpg

Oh, the convection oven is nice.

Last edited:
Back