JFR (Just for Retail) Corojo Corona Gorda

dantzig

Pseudo Gorilla
JFR (Just for Retail) Corona Gorda

I walked into one of my local B&Ms today (Cigar & Tabac) and asked if they had anything new that I might like. The friendly and knowledgeable salesman pointed me in the direction of the JFRs. When I said that I had never had one and would love to try one, his eyes lit up and he got a huge smile :D

They had two sizes of maduros (toro and corona gorda) and one size of corojo (corona gorda). The toro was $5 and the corona gordas were $5.50. Even though it was much larger than the cigars I usually smoke, I chose the corojo w since I just had to try one.

The construction seemed very solid and the wrapper had few small veins. It had an unfinished foot and a triple cap with a "pig tail". It cut easily and there was one lone stem under the cap. Pre-light aroma was deliciously stinky and the draw was easy.

Taste on light was spicy and woody with a medium body. I could tell that this cigar was going to develop into something very enjoyable. The spice and strength continued to build as I smoked while the woody flavor remained in the background and never became overpowering. Eventually this cigar started hitting on all eight cylinders and entered full blown full body mode. Wow, it was smooth, tasty, and strong. Even though I had just had dinner, I started feeling the vitamin N kick about halfway in (yeah, I am a bit of a lightweight). It did get a little harsh towards the end but not enough to stop me from smoking all but the final inch of this monster.

Keepers of the Flame has a very nice page with pictures and background on this great cigar http://cigarfan.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/jfr-just-for-retailers-corona-gorda/

I highly recommend trying one if you ever see them for sale. I would absolutely love to try a smaller size and might see about negotiating a deal my B&M for a box or two :ss

Last edited:
Smoked a torp the other day. Really good cigar. I was thinking about haggling with my B & M for a box of them too!

I've had one of each and they are all GOOOD.. I really like them, but my local shop can't keep em in stock either.
Scott

I prefer the corojo over the maduro. Aganorsa lanceros are good too, same company but I can't find 'em any more at the B&M. Probably too high on the shelf for me to see.

My B&M still has them, but I noticed they raised the price by a couple bucks in the last month or so. Damned supply and demand :c

JFR (Just for Retail) Corona Gorda

I walked into one of my local B&Ms today (Cigar & Tabac) and asked if they had anything new that I might like. The friendly and knowledgeable salesman pointed me in the direction of the JFRs. When I said that I had never had one and would love to try one, his eyes lit up and he got a huge smile :D

They had two sizes of maduros (toro and corona gorda) and one size of corojo (corona gorda). The toro was $5 and the corona gordas were $5.50. Even though it was much larger than the cigars I usually smoke, I chose the corojo w since I just had to try one.

The construction seemed very solid and the wrapper had few small veins. It had an unfinished foot and a triple cap with a "pig tail". It cut easily and there was one lone stem under the cap. Pre-light aroma was deliciously stinky and the draw was easy.

Taste on light was spicy and woody with a medium body. I could tell that this cigar was going to develop into something very enjoyable. The spice and strength continued to build as I smoked while the woody flavor remained in the background and never became overpowering. Eventually this cigar started hitting on all eight cylinders and entered full blown full body mode. Wow, it was smooth, tasty, and strong. Even though I had just had dinner, I started feeling the vitamin N kick about halfway in (yeah, I am a bit of a lightweight). It did get a little harsh towards the end but not enough to stop me from smoking all but the final inch of this monster.

Keepers of the Flame has a very nice page with pictures and background on this great cigar http://cigarfan.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/jfr-just-for-retailers-corona-gorda/

I highly recommend trying one if you ever see them for sale. I would absolutely love to try a smaller size and might see about negotiating a deal my B&M for a box or two :ss

Thanks for the review. I'm gonna have to give these a try.

Rick
:cb

Well I smoked a maduro toro today and it didn't impress me at all. The taste wasn't bad--it had a good amount of spice, wood, and coffee flavors--but it had some severe burn issues requiring many touchups and a few relights. And while it never tasted bad, I got tired of it about halfway through and it left me feeling a bit sick. Not nicotine sick but just not very well. I'm not sure that I want to smoke another one of the maduros.

I went to a shop here in Vegas that has them... I have never had one...the guy working there said they are a top selling stick at his shop...they do look damned tasty...I am going to pick them up...I am always on the hunt for a cheaper stick to have around...GREAT REVIEW BY THE WAY!!!:ss

The Maduros are not the same as the original JFRs. THe original JFR were acutally demo cigars made by Pepin for rolling events. We tried them at the RTDA in Nashville and then kept bugging Paul Palmer to release them. (He was kind enough to make up a few extra wheels and send them our way before they were released.) Finally 2 years later in New Orleans they were released as JFRs Just for Retailers or (jokingly Jose Frank and Rob...Jose for Pepin, and Frank and Rob for me and my buddy who kept bugging him to release them.) Anyway they are a very flavorful smoke with a reasonable price.

Back