Joya de Nicaragua Toro

gvarsity

mr. mom
Simple brown band. Smelled great. Got this as part of a JdN sampler. Really didn't know what I was in for but I grabbed it out of my work humi on the way to golf league. I had to wait few holes until we got out of the wind a little before I lit it. It was still a little windy when I fired it up but it burned like a champ. Considering the wind one touch up seemed pretty outstanding for construction. I also never needed a relight either.

Started off right away with a nice rich tobacco taste. I would say full bodied and full flavor med Vitamin N. I didn't get any particularly striking flavors from it but I was also golfing and not paying particular attention. All I can say was that the flavor was rich and tasty and didn't get harsh until the last inch at which point I tossed it completely satisfied.

Flavor: very good
Construction: outstanding
Look: very good
Band: classic traditional
Complexity: pretty straight forward

Verdict: Definite buy. Not the most sophisticated smoke but very enjoyable. It has a flavor I would seek out and add to my regular rotation. I'm glad I picked these up.

Was this the JDN Celebration? I love the JDN Antano Consul, but only after a full meal and plenty of spring water on hand. A toro would blow my head off, but I'd give it a try anyway. These are truly great cigars and smoke them sparingly cuz' the prices are going nuts lately. Especially on the Antano series.:dr

They make a plain label Joya de Nicaragua. It's different from the Celebration. I smoke a couple Antanos per week, they are one of my favorite cigars. I found the plain one lacking the flavor of the Antano but not a horrible smoke. I really dislike the Celebration.

I agree that the plain label doesn't have as much flavor as the Anato which I also enjoy. Sometimes I find the Anatos to be more than I'm looking for and the plain label hits that nicely. I used to consider myself a full bodied cigar guy but as cigars have gotten stronger in recent years I find myself leaning to more of a medium/full profile. Same goes for spice I used to really like spicy cigars but as flavor profiles have gotten significantly spicer i.e. Pepin I now prefer what is considered to be a medium-spicy profile. I have enjoyed all of the JdN I have tried so far.

Back