JR Cuban Alternatives?

ghostrider

SilverBack
I've purchased some smokes from JR's in the past. Got a catalog in the mail today, didn't realize they had Cuban alternatives. Anyone tried these? How do they compare? I've been happy with their stuff before, just wondering what everyone's experience here has been.

:cool:

I've never smoked one myself, but I looked into them before, and here is the summarized wisdom of others:

Some of them can be good cigars, but don't expect even a hint of what makes a cuban a cuban.

I've purchased the Bolivar corona's about a year ago. They were pretty good after a few months of resting. I think any of the JR brands needs rest before they are really smokeable. IMHO.

they can be good for the $$$$$$$

JR's make good compost. Their "Cubans" don't even compare to a Flor de Cano, and insult to the Cuban name... Stay with the big names if you order from JR. They do seem to have many good values, but their JR branded cigars I smoked were horrible, with a stale, acrid taste, that had little to do with tobacco flavor. If you want a cheap cigar with a hint of Cuba- go for the 50 boxes of Punch/HdM Robustos non-ISOM (assuming they still make them.)

Yorkie077 said:
I think any of the JR brands needs rest before they are really smokeable.

They need a final rest, but not in any humidor for human consumption. I would be hesitant to offer one to a homeless person, as he may just throw it back at me in disgust.

mosesbotbol said:
JR's make good compost. ...their JR branded cigars I smoked were horrible, with a stale, acrid taste, that had little to do with tobacco flavor.

I heard that. JR stores are near enough to my home that I can drop by and try this and that, and ... feh. The last JR alternative I tried (and may ever try)was their (ho ho ho) AF Hemingway alternative. I had hoped that... just maybe... Nope.

VirtualSmitty said:
They don't taste cuban. In fact i've found that they remind me of newspaper.

Newspaper with hints of cardboard and Vegemite. Don't even think of buying a bundle of these. For the money, there are so many other better cigars you can buy. I still have a few of some CUban alternatives El rey of some type that even my non-cigar friends who like to have a cigar occasionally won't even touch. I think they may end up in the compost, or maybe I'll doate them to the newbie pass as a "Don't buy these whatever you do."

tazziedevil said:
Newspaper with hints of cardboard and Vegemite... maybe I'll doate them to the newbie pass as a "Don't buy these whatever you do."

Hah.. remind me NOT to do a trade with Tazziedevil anytime in the future!
:pu :r :D

mosesbotbol said:
They need a final rest, but not in any humidor for human consumption. I would be hesitant to offer one to a homeless person, as he may just throw it back at me in disgust.

Thanks for the heads up. I have thought of trying the JR brand to see if they are worth anything. I will save for the real stuff.

Looks like I'm in the minority on this thread. But I really enjoy the JR Cuban Alt-Monte #2 and the JR Limitada Edicion Alt-Monte Edmundo.

IMHO Cuban Alt-Monte #2 is better than the "name brand" Monte #2 from DR. (Nowhere near as good as a real Cuban, of course).

These JRs are like the Fruitcake you get a christmas that you keep regifting
I got one in the newbie sampler trade and sent it to another lucky BOTL

E

mosesbotbol said:

:r I can't believe I missed that before! That's hilarious, and pretty much sums up how I feel about 'em.

IMHO, anything that you procure through JR (big brand or not) should be left to rest in the humi for a month or two... Maybe my experiences have been isolated, but I've found the stuff I've received from them quite green.

mosesbotbol said:
JR's make good compost. Their "Cubans" don't even compare to a Flor de Cano, and insult to the Cuban name... Stay with the big names if you order from JR. They do seem to have many good values, but their JR branded cigars I smoked were horrible, with a stale, acrid taste, that had little to do with tobacco flavor. If you want a cheap cigar with a hint of Cuba- go for the 50 boxes of Punch/HdM Robustos non-ISOM (assuming they still make them.)

They still make them. Very good cigar for the price, particularly after they have rested for a while.

My experience with the JR cuban alts was not very positive, to be nice about it. Then again, I may have acutually had worse

- Te-Amo.

:pu

I like the Bolivar Belicosos (only ones I tried). Took them about 4 weeks before they were enjoyable. Gave some samplers to some guys at work (cheapie smokers for 20+ years) and they liked them. About 70% have a nice twist at the end.

I've had the Edicion Limitada Hoyo Piramides and Cohiba Double Coronas and they're heavier bodied and good (not Excellent but good).

These are nice to have around when a $3 - $10 smoke is not on the menu.

Back