JR Montecristo Humidor

webjunkie

ChestBeater
So this week saw the arrival of a package of goodies from JR. After trying some of the Montecristo Half Coronas (the NC kind) I decided to order a box from JR. Just so happened that they currently happen to have a deal that sets me up with a free humidor if I buy a box of Montecristos. So I added it to my order since I was getting a box of cigars anyway, and came home this Wednesday to find a package sitting in front of my door.

Does anyone have any experience with this humidor? Doesn't seem to be the best made ever (no surprise) but I guess the verdict is still out on whether or not it will work (currently being seasoned).

I have the Monte Afrique glass top & it works great for my special smokes... No experience with yours though, but I'm interested to hear other's experiences.

I'll be giving it the light test tonight, and if no one answers I'll guess we'll know when this one finishes seasoning and I start to fill it up.

I have one here at my office. It does a fine job. I don't have to recharge the beads that often. It also looks nice. I have two of them A smaller Robusto size and a Chruchill size, both seem great for the money.

Various bits for various questions:

The current JR Special Montecristo humidor is a 40-ct churchill box a little lighter in the lip and lid than the "standard" "Sure-Seal" stuff from the likes of Tampa Humidors and everybody else selling the same Chinese boxes (they've done the wood-and-lacquer thing quite well for 2000 years).
It's even somewhat lighter than CI's 20-ct silkscreened brand-logo boxes, which have the "Sure-Seal" type lip (in the lid, unfortunately, so you can drop it on your sticks rather easily).
It's quite functional and good-looking all the same, though I'm using it for aging/keeping rather than going-to; the less that lip is rubbed on the lid, the longer it'll last.
The "replacement special" (they sold out the first in days) box has a smaller Monte logo on a top corner, rather than the one still pictured online (panel-filling logo on the right front).
In a bit of overkill, the lip is in the base, not the lid, even though there's a top tray, so you'll not close it on your sticks no matter how hard you try.
The tray has leather lifting tabs on the sides, so you don't thumb your sticks to death lifting it out, a feature I'm adding to all my trays when I get a Round Tuit.
It comes without a puck or gauge, and the clearance between tray and lid is such that I didn't use a puck, but a "cigar stick" among the cellophaned cigars (I wouldn't put a puck or bag on nude sticks).

The glass-top Montecristo Afrique (still available from CI with a sampler -- "Cuban Heritage" -- in it at the moment) is a shallower, wider 50-count(+/-) churchill (90+ petits and 50 coronas at the moment, when full) box of the heavier "Sure-Seal" variety, and better-looking in every particular (spendier, too). Between the shape of the ends (thick curves) and the weight of the glass (bevelled plate), it's heavy enough not to slide around instead of opening.
After noodling several ways to get fancy with the mounts, I stood a medium rectangular puck against the back wall, and lay a calibrated dial on the sticks. DO NOT overfill that puck; an upended soggy puck will run out its bottom edge where it wouldn't if suspended flat; maybe the Bead Guys have something, but pucks cheep my tune: "cheep, cheep, cheep."
The decal is on the inside of the glass, so you won't scrub it off wiping the glass on the outside, but have a bit of care you don't rub wet dirt into the inset cloth deco ribbons. "White" shellac or "artist's" varnish might work there, but I haven't done it yet.
It's one of my "go-to" boxes, and shows no hint of wear after a year of being hit up 6-10 times a day.

hth

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Mine has been up and going for a few days now since it finished seasoning. Pretty much full, and has been holding steady at 65%.

ttiwwop.gif

:D

Back