JR weekly Special: Schimmelpenninck?

Moglman

Mountain Hound
I have never had the opportunity to try any cigar from Holland, let alone the machine made Schimmelpenninck VSOP Canduela. Has anyone tried, known anyone who has tried, or heard any such rumor of somebody who has tried these cigars, and liked them? It's a heck of a deal 10/$15 BOGO. :rolleyes:

Schimmelpennink BOGO

I really, really don't want any more low end cigars that I just hope get palatable with age, but I'd love to hear the wide-ranging knowledge and opinions of this jungle's dwellers.

Thanks.

It's a buy one get one free special. That's 20 fine cigars for that price. I have no idea if they are any good, sorry.

According to the write up, it appears these are 8 years old. If I was a betting man, I'd place my money on these being garbage.

They aren't considered particularly good in europe. Sorry, i've never had one.

Have had some. Liked them. Dry cured tobacco that's decent, IMO.

Still, my tastes have evolved a lot over the years. They just don't do it for me as much . . . and neither do a lot of Domestics for that matter.

I haven't smoked dry cured cigars in close to two decades. I kind of remember them as being quite powerful.......sometimes bitter. They really won't be like the hand rolled smokes that you are used to.

If you find a dry cured cigar you do like; keep 'em in your golf bag and/or glove box for emergencies. Sean had a good post a while ago on a bad experience with gas station cigars as I recall. I bought a couple 5ers of "burma" dry cured cigars a year ago or so. While by no means good they were very palatable. As popular as Schimmelpenninck is they might be worth a try. But getting a box free of unknown cigars really isn't a deal I would invest in.

-Matt-

When the Schimmelpenninck VSOP first came out, they were "cigar of the year" in Holland, where they are made. These are a rather highly regarded cigar in Europe, contrary to what was earlier written. The Duet is an excellent small cigar (cigarillo) that beats the heck out of anything produced by Swisher and the like. All tobacco. I end up buying a lot of these since they are my wife's favorite. I have smoked the VSOP tubos before, and they are not at all bad for what you pay for them. The speed at which JR sold out of them should be some indication of what at least a few of us machine rolled smokers think of them. The only reason that I have not pulled the trigger on a lot more of the VSOP cigars is that there are just too many "premiums" that I like, and I am trying to cut down on the number that I smoke in a day. At least, as a dry cigar, they do not take up any room in the humidor. However, this is a problem in itself. I love these things in the winter when the humidity is at 10 - 15%. These cigars burn quite well that low. But at the current 60 - 70% we are at now, they have a bit of trouble keeping lit.

As far as machine rolled "mass market" cigars go, my favorites are the Schimmelpenninck and the Robert Burns Blackwatch.

Back