Just had my first RP Vintage 92 - my opinions + 2 questions

Rev2010

Maturing Primate
So today I had my first Rocky Patel Vintage 92 cigar. I'll start with some observations and such. The cigar was perfectly humidified, pinched just perfect and was bought from a local ship with a great walk in humidor then went to my 70% humidity humidor. Two days later (today) I lit it up. First 1/4 of the cigar was quite nice, I really liked it. I noticed early on the outside wrapper started peeling a little. What's funny is it was peeling around the center where I was holding it. I cut it totally proper so there was no peel near the head. It seems the wrapper on this cigar was 'rice paper thin' and extremely delicate. Taste was quite good till it started passing the 1/3 mark where I got less flavor and a bit more standard smoke taste, a little harsh. After the 1/2 mark flavor returned and was good for about another 1/4 then turned harsh again. I was surprised at the beginning cause while the flavor was really good at first I felt it was a bit too mild. It picked up more body as it went along taking a more mild/medium taste. Overall I thought it was a good cigar but really not as good as some I've had so when it comes down to it I'd buy others over it.

Now, the two things I wanted to address and get feedback on... first is I thought the draw was a bit empty at first. As most of you probably know this is a more rectangular shaped cigar (it's not exactly square so it's rectangular). While smoking it I noticed if I smoked it width wise (meaning wider than taller) I would get that empty draw. BUT... if I turned it 90 degrees so that it was longer vertically the draw was perfect! So, question is... for these square/rectangular shapes is it normal for it to draw better at one angle than another? I tested this many times and each result was the same. Rotating it so that it was longer up/down the draw was perfect.

Second question is - has anyone had these 92's where the wrapper just started flaking/peeling just from gentle handling? Is it cause it's vintage or because they used too thin wrapper?

Thanks for any info guys! ;)

Rev.

I have never noticed a difference in the draw when rotating the cigar, but I have never really thought about it. I have a handfull of the 92's in the humi, I will give it a try next time I smoke one.

I have smoked through a few boxes of the 92's and I have notices the wrappers are super thin, but if you are carefull they hold up pretty well.

if I turned it 90 degrees so that it was longer vertically the draw was perfect!
Rev.

Sounds strange to me. If I had to guess the problem was you and not the smoke. Maybe your lips weren't getting a good seal and a lot of air was sneaking in when you drew.

*Note: It's hard to write a response about lips and sucking without sounding homoerotic. Yikes!:bn

Sounds strange to me. If I had to guess the problem was you and not the smoke. Maybe your lips weren't getting a good seal and a lot of air was sneaking in when you drew.

*Note: It's hard to write a response about lips and sucking without sounding homoerotic. Yikes!:bn

Hahaha, I hear ya :D But nah, I did try makig sure to seal my lips around the stogie, I'd thought of that too while discovering this. No matter what, for some reason it was much better vertically. However, it still could technically be something to do with lip sealing the head of the cigar. Trust me that I wasn't imagining it, I tried it both ways several times several ways and the result was the same.

Rev.

How did you cut it? That may have contributed to the draw problem.

From personal experience, I've smoked quite a few of the RP 92's over the past three years and I don't recall any of the problems you've had. The wrappers do seem to be a little thinner the most cigars I've smoked but I've never had one do as you describe.

Another option is that you just had one that slipped through quality control. That happens at time.

Both my 90s and 92s as well as my Connecticuts have very soft, delicate wrappers. I don't really mind though.

hey Rev

Smoked a couple of hundred Vintage Seconds, and perhaps 1/3 that amount of vintage with bands. Mostly 92's.
usually never had any draw issues, harshness and peeling issues.
one of the rare cigars in that price range that are box pressed to perfection imo. (the other I was thinking of is SPDM)

best of luck next time. give these a another chance and as others have said, the seconds smoke the same as firsts.

I second that! :ss

What probably happened is that there was a crack going a little deeper than the top wrapper. You most likely had airflow escaping, further down, towards the direction of the foot. I've had this happen to me before the RP '92's... :( I usually solve this by sacrificing a large portion of the back to the clipper.

Last edited:
Back