Just one of those conversations I knew was gonna be fun...

JE3146

Jordan #2
So for a little background info. I'm 22 and in college. I move home during the summer.

I joined this site in January. I went from a 100 ct Humidor, to a 50 qt cooler to a Vino.

Now while at school, my parents didn't know about anything, which... so what really. It's my time at school. It's my life.... etc. But eventually I was gonna have to explain the hobby to them. Whether they approved or not was another issue.

But then came the traditional summer move to head north because it's easier to find work there in the summer and my college town turns into a ghost town.

So here I am moving home with A) a vino and B) why its full of cigars.

The cigars they didn't seem too concerned with. My mom took issue with some of the ISOM's. "My son, the convict" :r I explained some were for the wedding, and then quietly added... others were just given to me.

"Given to you?!! From who?"

Then came explaining the idea of a bomb and then the vino. For those that don't know. I was bombed with this vino by some very generous individuals on this site. Trying to explain how a group of individuals I couldn't pick out of a police lineup gathered together to ship me a 65 lb box via UPS.... You just can't keep a straight face when you tally up the absurdity of the whole thing!

If it was me listening to this explanation, I doubt I wouldn't of even believed it myself.

Eventually the concept took hold, but they still don't understand it.

I don't know how some of you explain the generosity of this place. I tried my best and it just came out awkward :D ... I didn't even begin to explain I met most of these people in the chat room. :r

Morale of the story... I love this place. What people do here for each other is an oasis from the untrusting nature that typically defines this world and because of that... is often hard to explain to others.

For all my sins my mother knows that cigars, regardless of origin, are the least of my crimes. I'm too old to be worrying about what my mother thinks but I would never, never try to explain posting on an internet forum to her.

that would just be too weird and uncomfortable.

I had a hard time for a while explaining where I was going when I was going to herfs. I used to say "I'm on this cigar forum online and the members are from all over the world and they're really generous and they try to get together when they can and it's not as awkward as you might think and...blah blah blah." After being at a few herfs and meeting some guys on the board I've found a much easier explanation:

I'm meeting up with friends.

I remember the first bomb I recieved after I joined this site. Patrick, one of the most generous BOTL you'll ever run across, sent it to me (Mr.Maduro for those few of you that don't know him yet). My wife said, "What is that?" I explained the situation. She said, "You mean to tell me that some guy that you have never laid eyes on sent you all these cigars - for no real reason?". I said "Yes, but these guys are great. It's like a brother/sisterhood." I told her how it will be paid back to someone else down the road, blah blah blah...

So after a while of getting use to this sort of thing, when I send a package (bomb) out - like to Harry recently - she understands. She knows were just good "long-distance friends". :tu

I tried explaining all of this to my fiance and she just told me to stop...gave her a headache!!! She's just glad I might actually have a friend or two :tu

T-

Dear mom and dad -- here's my 900 lb. gorilla I made friends with while at school -- hope you don't mind!

Funny story! At least your honest with them. I wouldn't have been at your age.

Awesome story. I've run into the trying to explain to people. One just started lurking around here, then he understood entirely.

Back