Keeping different cigars from touching

bloodhound

Young Chimp
In my humidor I have 3 dividers. I would like to have my 3 favorites out of their cellophane wrapper, in seperate compartments. I would then like to take singles and keep them wrapped in the other compartments. Will the wrapped ones age? I have been told that you do not want different cigars touching,is this correct?

My own rule of thumb has been for long term aging - anything over 2 years, I remove the cello. I have never noticed any issues with them touching. The only exception would be flavored sticks - which is not a problem for me, since they are not allowed in my humidor, or house for that matter :bn

i do leave the cello on my sticks that are stored loosely in my singles drawers to prevent damage to the wrappers when rooting around for a particular stick.

Just my :2 worth.

Mark

There is no reason to remove cello, except for aesthetics... and your cigars don't care. :)

Store your cigars the way you received them from the manufacturer, in the original packaging. If the cigar came in cello, keep it in cello. Cellophane is not plastic, it is plant pulp, and it breathes.

As for the cigars touching, don't lose any sleep over it.

There is no reason to remove cello, except for aesthetics... and your cigars don't care. :)

Store your cigars the way you received them from the manufacturer, in the original packaging. If the cigar came in cello, keep it in cello. Cellophane is not plastic, it is plant pulp, and it breathes.

I concur!

Wow, I did not know that about cellophane.... thanks for the very useful info.

Don't mix celloed and uncelloed cigars in the same compartment. The cellophane might damage the wrappers of the uncelloed cigars when you're rooting around looking for a smoke.

Don't smoke flavored cigars period. :D

:tpd: Taking of the cello is purely an aesthetics thing. It does not improve aging in anyway! Personally, I wish all quality cigars came in Cello!

Don't mix celloed and uncelloed cigars in the same compartment. The cellophane might damage the wrappers of the uncelloed cigars when you're rooting around looking for a smoke.

Don't smoke flavored cigars period. :D

:tpd:

I prefer cigars in cello. None of mine have yellow cello yet but eventually that's how I'll decide if they're done aging :D

I hope this doesn't sound like a newbie question but am I supposed to remove the cello before I smoke the cigar?

:D

Sorry can't help myself - OK off to work, long week and I think I'm getting giddy.

I concur with everyone else! And whoever told you such things as you have heard (which sound like they might've come from a "real life" person rather than all of us fake internet people) is silly! But don't tell 'em we said that.

Cello on is best. Just makes it easier to insure you wont be nicking the wrappers (particularly on the foot of the cigar), and has no adverse effects whatsoever.

As to the comment suggesting that cello-wrapped cigars are likely to damage non-wrapped cigars if stored in the same compartment, I don't particularly think that's a big issue. I can see the possibility of a cello "corner" being more likely to damage a nearby cigar... but that shouldn't be a problem unless you FORCIBLY root through your cigars, lol. If you're reasonably gentle when you're moving cigars around, that won't be a problem. (Although if you have the room... there's certainly no harm in keeping 'em separated, eliminating as much risk as possible...)

I always keep the cello on all my cigars, because sometimes when I can't decide on a cigar... I just like pick up the humi, shake the crap out of it, and then pick out a cigar, all with my eyes closed! Surprise!

If you leave the cello on, won't it increase the time needed to equalize out it's humidity? I would think it takes more time for humidity to pass through the wrapper AND the cello.

Let me get this right. I do not need dividers. I can put all my cigars together,mixed-up,and keep them in their cello. They will age and everything will be fine.

Back