Kegerators

Sandman

Enjoy ya self!
Does anyone own one, or know about them. I am going to buy one with my stimulus check, plus a barrel of something tasty.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.:)

Depending on where you want to put it, and how picky you are on how it looks there are several alternatives to a pre-made kegerator. Just about any fridge, freezer (and some mini-fridges) can be converted to a kegerator for less than you can buy one of the off-the-shelf brands. Let me know what you're looking to do and I can give you more details.

I would go to a used appliance store or if you have a fridge laying around and adapt it. I bet you could pick up a decent fridge for about $300-400 and then you could use a full keg. Just my :2

I've seen some really nice homemade kegerators out of fridges and chest freezers. I'll see if I can find one or two links for you.

I have made 2 now.

Both vintage fridges....First one died on me...2nd is still running strong.

I sanded both down and repainted using compressor, spray gun and just tremclad black on the 2nd...then clear-coat.

Also replaced insulation in the door, door gasket and thermostat...

One hole in the front door for shank...plus 2 for drip tray. One in the side for beer gas line.

Holds full 58L keg.

Suggestion after working in the beer business for a few years....do not run straight CO2....use beer gas...70/30 mixture (N2/CO2) Makes a huge difference in taste and keg will stay good for about 1 month if it lasts that long...:dr

Here are some pictures:

Hope this helps!

Chris

Last edited:
a buddy of mind just bought one not too long ago (bud light branded keggerator) but we keep it filled with yuengling 24/7.

he's actually considering selling it, so if anyone's interested give me a shout

I have one as well. A Summit with stainless Steel top.

Do yourself a favor and visit the Micromatic Forums
You can read about people's experience with different units and the tweaks they have made to reduce foaming, lower temperatures, actively blowing cold air into the towers to eliminate foam, etc.

Must do your research before making a purchase like that.

1 word of advice.
The items that come in the kits with most kegerators are mostly junk.
Upgrade the faucet, keg connector and Co2 regulator for MUCH more reliable operation.
I recommend the Perlick Forward seal faucet. No sticking and better pour.

Wow, thanks so much for the ideas and links guys. Looks like I have some reading an investigating to do.:)

1 word of advice.
The items that come in the kits with most kegerators are mostly junk.
Upgrade the faucet, keg connector and Co2 regulator for MUCH more reliable operation.
I recommend the Perlick Forward seal faucet. No sticking and better pour.

After replacing all those parts, aren't you really just buying a fridge w/ a beer logo on the side? Wouldn't it be more economical to buy a 'regular' fridge and mod it as necessary?

Also from what I've read w/ homebrew systems, the trick to reducing foam is correctly matching the CO2 pressure/keg pressure with the length of tubing between the keg and faucet. Can't say I have any personal experience though.

Did you get your kegerator yet?

If not are you looking to convert a full size fridge or purchase one already built with a tower on top?

Like skibumdc said, the forward sealing faucets are much nicer...I recommend those.

I converted my fridge into a kegerator. I think the conversion kit was 150.00 and and it took about 15 minutes to complete the task.

That's what I would recommend.

Munt.

Does anyone own one, or know about them. I am going to buy one with my stimulus check, plus a barrel of something tasty.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.:)

Conversion kits are a great way to go, but you can't buy full kegs in the US... Bars can't even get them...

really? last I checked US stands for America... patriot states founded by brewers! ;)

Well, cant you at least borrow them with a deposit? It's sorta the same thing... unless all the kegs I've been tapping are half kegs or something. :p

50L_Beer_Keg.jpg

really? last I checked US stands for America... patriot states founded by brewers! ;)

Well, cant you at least borrow them with a deposit? It's sorta the same thing... unless all the kegs I've been tapping are half kegs or something. :p

50L_Beer_Keg.jpg
You have most likely been tapping half kegs. These are the standard in bars.

You have most likely been tapping half kegs. These are the standard in bars.

Oh, ok... so a half keg has 15 gallons and a full keg has about 30? Thats a lot of beer... ~250 lbs worth! Those half kegs are freaking heavy as it is... I can't imagine trying to move a full keg around.

There is no better buy than a kegerator! I have a half barrel of Sierra Nevada in there right now and its incredible. Thinking I may need to get a second to have a porter or stout readily available as well:tu.

Back