La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial Robusto

Mr. Ed

A horse is a horse...
Initial Impressions: This is the Don Pepin blended version. This is the first one I've had. This was a thin robusto, 48 RG I believe, with a nice wrapper that was smooth and had no blemishes. A mild pre-light aroma came from this cigar.

Pictures:

Smoking: This cigar had a perfect draw with a nice volume of smoke for every puff from beginning to end. The burn was even and damn near perfect from start to finish. The cigar burned slow and cool, no overheating problems. The wrapper on this cigar behaved well, no unraveling or cracking. The ash was firm and white and stayed on the cigar until I ashed it myself. As usual, perfect construction on a Pepin cigar.

Taste: This was a medium bodied cigar through and through. It started out with a little spice and a tobacco taste that had a very "wood"-like flavor to it. The finish was full and stayed on the palate for a long time. The cigar then began to develop a sort of "coffee"-like flavor that also had some very nice sweetness to it. The finish stayed full and sweet and also had a "nutty" flavor to it and the taste also began to develop this "nutty" characteristic towards the end. A nice medium aroma came off of this cigar while smoking.

Conclusion: I was fairly impressed by this cigar. Perfect construction, which seems to be par for course on almost all Pepin cigars, but this was also an amazing tasting cigar as well. The price and value is pretty good, just a tad more expensive than the DPG Blue Labels, but I think the price is justified. Most B&M's that carry Pepin's should have these in stock now. All in all a very nice cigar. Have two more that I look forward to smoking in the next few weeks.

Thanks for reading :ss

Nice review.

I smoked one a while back, and I was not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it was a good cigar but there are better Pepin's that taste very similar. Those would be the following:

El Centurion
601 Red
Series JJ

I have to echo some of the sentiments here. DPG did not create a winner with this one. Too one note, no twang, and not nearly as complex as some of his other offerings. I was very disappointed.

Back