La Aurora 100 Anos part 2

Volt

Chestbeating Pack Leader
Well, back in a previous post of the La Aurora 100 Anos I had found it to be a most vile cigar, the worst I had ever smoked. Harry (aka houdini) felt it had received a bad shot and sent me a fiver including 3 La Aurora 100 Anos, a Saphire and 1 other La Aurora.

So, after a something like 2 weeks resting @ 70* and 65% RH, and needing a rest from the yard work, the dog and I went out to the back porch for a smoke. With only water to drink, I sparked up. It was difficult to get get going. I lit and sucked and finally got it rolling. It got hot so I had to set it down to cool off. As usual, I hate lighting most cigars, the first taste is usually harsh regardless of the stick. After a 1/4 inch or so it settled in and was becoming nice smoke. It was very smooth and tasty. Had my first burn issue:

100_1.JPG

First for this type of issue, almost seem to split in two. Still going, I'm starting to see what Harry likes. At the end of the first third, I get 4 - 5 puffs of melon, say a honey dew or cantalope type rememberance. So far, I'm digging it.

At the 1/2 point another burn issues again a small split and side burning:

100_2.JPG

I cleaned it up and smoked on. After this the smoke got a bit harsh, so I purged for the second time. That brought back more of the mellowness, but not quite what the first third had presented. The rest of this stick finished out about the same.

While it's no longer as evil as the first one I tried, I can't say it's my favorite. I really apprciate Harry giving me a second shot at it. I'd give it a 6 of 10 score. I am looking forward to trying the Saphire, the write up on sounded good. Besides I am a sucker for a well packaged cigar.

Unfortuantly, now that my break is over, the yard is calling again.

I have a box of churchills and coronas, and have never seen that. I love the smokes, a bit expensive but great flavor and quality. Damn, thats a shame.

I've tried the entire line, and I must admit these are fantastic smokes. I can't recall any burn issues. Perhaps you'll get lucky on your 3rd one. Thanks for the great review!

Well, the other 2 are spoken for. I have 2 friends that want to try a secon stick as they also did not like the first try. We'll see what they think.

I've enjoyed the La Aurora 100 Anos. Find for my taste the Robusto's are my favorite. But when it comes down to my personal choice I'll take the La Aurora Preferidos Robusto over the 100 Anos. IMHO hands down a better cigar.

Has been over a year since I first had one but I have two in the humi and looking to trying them out soon. I liked the 100 Anos and had a great burn hope you give it another chance.

Thanks for the review,

Molar

Your review made me dig one out of my Vino today....Its been a while since I smoked one and I was really happy to revisit it! No burn issues and it was a great stick down to the nub. Should I send over a few more??
:ss

All in all, I'm ok on the 100's. It definitly is not near as bad as I thought. Maybe Karma is saying it's not the stick for me... Who knows? I should see one of the guys tomorrow and will pass one of the 100's to him. I have read here in the past that all sticks should get 2 tries, and I agree, so smoking another one was definitly a good idea.

Some people like CAOs and I like Gurkhas, not all will find favor with every smoker. I am looking forward to the Saphire, maybe tomorrow if I can get some free time. If not I'll smoke the little Aurora that you sent.

Your review made me dig one out of my Vino today....Its been a while since I smoked one and I was really happy to revisit it! No burn issues and it was a great stick down to the nub. Should I send over a few more??
:ss

I think one of the problems with your smoking experience was that your cigar was canoeing.

In my experience, if a cigar canoes or tunnels it will taste like crap.

I recommend that you touch up any burns gone south with a lighter and or judicious use of saliva (frankly, a jet lighter works much better than saliva, I only use spit if I have no jet lighter handy). I pull out the lighter if the burn is even just a couple of mm off ... with the same cigar I've had to fix canoeing and tunneling .. but it helps the flavor tremendously to have a proper burn. I've become kinda anal about this, but I never get a cigar burn the way that one did for you either. {edit} Oh, I also purge after hitting the lighter ... helps the flavor as well. {/edit}

Oh, its a PITA to have to baby sit a cigar, but I've found from experience that it is needed fairly often and that's why I use jet lighters. Some cigars burn razor sharp all the way down ... I think these cigars were well behaved in a former life or something (or have some age on them).

You also found the cien anos have a quite flaky ash ... that's what I've also noticed with the first release ones I've smoked (haven't had any since the first batch hit the stores a few years ago). I don't remember those cigars having more burn problems than others though, and I remember really enjoying the flavors in the ones that I've had.

I am actually curious if the newer release cigars have the same flavors as the older ones ... based on what I've read, it appears that they rolled these in batches over several years as wrapper became available (this might not be correct, but appears so based on what I've read or heard).

I've never noticed if a burn issue has caused a taste issue. I'll pay more attention the next time I have a burn issue to test out the thought. I will say, I smoked a Punch Rare Corojo 2008 the other night. As they all have, the burn was so sharp you would swear a laser was keeping it even. What a well behaved stick (tasty too).

Yesterday I had a corona because of this thread. The stick burned perfectly, i had to relight it a couple of times but that was due to me going swimming, but when I came back it fired up and was fantastic as usual.

Back