La Aurora Maduro Robusto

BlackIrish

ChestBeater
I've become something of a fan of the La Aurora flavor profile, and I do like my maduros, so I picked up some of these at auction. I like them; a good reliable cigar.

The cigar: La Aurora Maduro Robusto, 5x50

Humidor time: about 3 mos

Prelight: The wrapper looked lighter in color than the typical maduro, kind of a dark colorado maduro. It was a bit rough, with some small veins visible and some splotchiness. The aroma was straightforward tobacco. Solid and well filled, the head took a punch well, and gave a good prelight draw, with some sweetness and spice.

Burn/Construction: Toasted and lit easily. The burn and draw were perfect -- rock solid and very straight all the way to the nub. The firm, medium gray ash fell off in 1-inch chunks. Good easy draw throughout.

Flavor: Perhaps because the wrapper was lighter than a usual maduro, this cigar didn't have as strong a maduro flavor profile as other brands' maduros. It was an earthy, medium bodied smoke, with light sweetness, some spiciness. It didn't have the deep, rich flavors that I associate with maduro. Finish was rather clean. There were some hints of coffee, cocoa, and nuttiness as the smoke progressed, but it was not particularly complex and the flavor stayed pretty much the same throughout. Might be boring in a longer vitola, but nice in this robusto, which gave me about an hour of smoking time.

Overall, a good cigar, very well constructed, but lighter than you'd expect from a maduro.

This is one of my go to cigars. I grab one when I don't have a long time to smoke, but still want something tasty. You hit the nail on the head with your review. Thanks. :tu

Back