La Flor De Ynclan

txmatt

Still Smitty's biotch!
Here's a quick review on a cigar I was actively seeking out after seeing an advertisement in last month's Smoke Magazine. I found samplers but not boxes at my favorite B&M, and the manager offered to let me purchase just one out of the sampler. Two Brothers in Plano is an EXCELLENT store for those in the metroplex.

What really caught my eye in the magazine ad was the description of the special late harvest wrapper known as Desflorado. This Connecticut seed, Ecuador grown leaf is left on the plant long after all other primings. The plant goes to flower and then the wrapper is picked. That should give the wrapper a lot of extra flavor.

The construction of the cigar was exactly what I expect of a relatively pricey cigar ($7.50). It burned wonderfully and kept a straight line the whole time. It produced decent amounts of smoke, but the smoke wasn't very thick..

Where this cigar disappointed me was flavor. While somewhat rich; it was dominated by the cheap Indonesian binder that was chosen for it. The wrapper's flavor fought its way out a few times, but it was totally being wasted because of the binder predominance. The filler blend seemed to have no presence at all. Perhaps extensive aging could improve the cigar, however IMO they need to choose a different binder to make this cigar worthwhile. This cigar strikes me as odd with such an expensive wrapper and talented construction being used on an otherwise crap cigar.

The only way I would buy another of these sticks would be at $1 closeout prices; and even then I would try it to see if they had improved with age before picking up a box.

-Matt-

Last edited:
Well I would like to take back my last sentence in the review; it is never a good idea to judge a cigar line based upon smoking just one cigar. I think I will try to find another and give this stick a second shot, perhaps a different size smaller ring gauge could deliver more flavor.

I saw several people liked the cigar in this thread. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=959616&postcount=1

Give it a try. I found it to be a decent smoke. I do lean more to the La Vencedora line of this brand, but they are decent.

Well I would like to take back my last sentence in the review; it is never a good idea to judge a cigar line based upon smoking just one cigar. I think I will try to find another and give this stick a second shot, perhaps a different size smaller ring gauge could deliver more flavor.

I saw several people liked the cigar in this thread. http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showpost.php?p=959616&postcount=1

Matt, do you think that all indo binders/tobacco is bad? I perfer Nic, Hon and EC tobacco.

Matt, do you think that all indo binders/tobacco is bad? I perfer Nic, Hon and EC tobacco.

I can't think of any cigars in the price range of the Ynclan that use this leaf. I don't want to say all Indo tobacco is bad but in general it is only used on very inexpensive cigars. There are very few cigars using Indonesian tobacco that I have liked. One cigar I did like that used an Indonesian binder was Conga by La Perla Habana.

I can't think of any cigars in the price range of the Ynclan that use this leaf. I don't want to say all Indo tobacco is bad but in general it is only used on very inexpensive cigars. There are very few cigars using Indonesian tobacco that I have liked. One cigar I did like that used an Indonesian binder was Conga by La Perla Habana.

Now that I think about it and looking at my personal tasting log I agree. However, usually when a cigar uses Ecuadorian tobacco it is a sign of quality. Imagine the LFDY rounding that cigar with a better binder.

Back