La Luna Cigars

MoTheMan

MoTheMentor
la Luna Cigars? Are they back?! :confused:

Was running some searches today & came upon their website.

I recall when La Luna first came out. Nice mild dominican blend. Not really my cup of tea.
But then, the Fuerte Line showed up (they weren't really all that Fuerte), and they were quite tasty. Liked the Maduro, but loved the Cameroon Fuerte.
Then . . . they all but disappeared from sight. I was bummed.
But now, I see a website up & a chance to get these cigars again. :)
Looks like they're back & are becoming available.

Now, if any of you fellow Gorilas plan any group buys or would like to sell a few sticks, please let me know. I'm only looking for a few sticks (the Natural & African Fuertes would be my choices). Not interested in any large quantities (i.e. a box -- the boxes are very nice, BTW), since my palate's changed and I'm into stronger stuff right now.

I smoked my first La Luna Maduro Tornado this morning (I got a 5-pack from fullerspullers for $24). Sharply box pressed, solid feel, average appearance and construction -- a prelight sniff, I detect faint barnyard. Very loose draw. Easy to light (maybe too easy, the foot tended to flare while lighting).

For me, this cigar was just the right strength for a morning smoke. Fairly mild, but with more of a medium-full flavor profile -- a little hard to describe. It started out great, loads of smoke and a fabulous aroma, but again not strong. Taste of coffee (Maxwell House Instant). Okay, seriously, the first half burned more-or-less evenly, albeit too fast. The ash was flakey and tended to splay. But so far, this was a nice cigar if you didn't look too closely.

Unfortunately, things began to fall apart in the second half. The coal started to tunnel and run, the wrapper began to unravel, and smoking became a real chore. Alas, it happens from time to time if you smoke enough cigars. Probably a fluke. A flukey La Luna. Notwithstanding the lousy performance in the 2nd half, I like this cigar. It has potential. I could detect some nice sweetness develop in the final inch and a half or so, but by this stage, the bits of burning wrapper dropping onto my lap spoiled the finale.

Ken

La Luna has had it's share of problems and controversy over the past few years. They had an agreement in place with Torano to roll many of their cigars, but that fell through. They then went through a phase of rolling their own in Miami for a time, but that seem to have ended last year.

They now apparently are in production again via a facility in Honduras. From initial reports that I've read from a couple long time LL smokers though, the new versions of the Fuerte line are not up to par with past ones. I guess only time will tell. I still have a few boxes of the older African Fuertes that are aging nicely. :s

I was under the impression that La Luna were terrible smokes. I think that I got that idea after reading a brief description of them in a cigar catalog.

mo
i dont know about the recent production...absolutely the best non cuban cigars i ever tried...la luna little havana blend especiale#1.i think i paid 25$ for a bundle of 25...marvelous smokes.

derrek :)

Wow.. well my understanding must be wrong then. I may do a little more research into this cigar since it has some devoted followers.

Opusex gave me 10 pack of some la luna robustos, forgot what blend it was. i smoked maybe an inch of it, it was really awful. now i have smoked some maduro fuerte coladas (tres pc) in the past for smoke magazine and they were excellent smokes, i gave it one of the highest scores of any cigar i reviewed for them.

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to wait on those La Lunas; see how they turn out first.

Thanks for the head's up.

Back