Labeling your cigars

xxwaldoxx

Lowland Gorilla
A few days ago I was over a friends house, we decided to head outside for a smoke. I handed him one of my sticks and he started asking me about my labeling technique. He liked it enough to give it a try, so I thought I would pass it along.

The cigars I buy typically come wrapped in cellophane. I dont like to remove the cellophane just because I store alot of mixed singles in misc cigar boxes within my cooler. I like the cello on because it prevents damage if the cigars move around when I pull boxes out looking for a particular stick.

After you take a swan dive down the slope, you end up with a cooler stuffed with all kinds of cigars. I always found it really tough to keep track of the age on them as cigars were rotated out to smoke and new ones were added. My first idea was to simply mark the cello with a permanent marker, this wound up being a bit of a mess and too much trouble for me to mark each single cigar.

Not long after starting the marker thing, I stopped doing it and decided to give cigar software a try. This worked out pretty well to start, but got old really fast. It turned out to be alot of upfront work getting things up and running. It was also difficult to remember what cigar to remove from the database after smoking a couple cigars, or even sending out a bomb.

At this point I was going to try to use Daves (Heartfelt Industries) blank cigar bands on top of the cellophane when the idea to use labels hit me. I started to look at different labels and settled on return address labels. With the return address labels I found that I could use a template and make individual labels for each cigar I have arriving, print them, peel them, and stick them.

I have been doing this now for about 2 months and think it works GREAT. I use the three standard lines in the template for:

1) Cigar Make
2) Cigar Size Name (Actual Dimensions)
3) Date entered into my cooler

The label sheets allow me to print out a portion of a page of labels, then re-use the empty portion of the page when I get more cigars.

Here are a few photos if your interested.

Address Labels - 1.jpg

Address Labels - 2.jpg

Address Labels - 3.jpg

The labels are a Staples brand and cost around 5.00 or so for 25 sheets. I use the .5" x 1.75" labels that match Avery 5167/8167. With the labels I use a Microsoft Word Template.

Just though I would share
-Walt

Great idea!

I use the regular band labels for a bunch things but this seems more manageable.

Thanks for sharing this.

Great idea!! That'll work better than having pie-charts, diagrams, schematics and aerial photos of my humi!!:ss :D

Thanks! That is a great idea. I currently use the blank bands on nekkid sticks and a marker on the ones with cello. Either option is a pain. Especially when I go nuts at the devil site.

I have everything on an excel spreadsheet to keep track of gifted sticks. It's not something I am too concerned about, and it gets to be a pain to keep updated. It's more something I do when I am bored and want to play with my cigars and organize the humis and stuff

This is exactly what I do, only I use the Avery labels sold from Amazon. They're probably a little more expensive, but I'm lazy and do as much of my shopping as possible on the internet.

Their website has a nice template that you load up in MS Word and.. voila!

Great idea. I have been bad about not labeling mine, but I need to because I can't keep up with all the info on each cigar. I will have to try this out! Thanks for sharing!!

This is a freaking great idea.......... I was actually looking at going with my own barcodes, but your system seems easier........

This is a freaking great idea.......... I was actually looking at going with my own barcodes, but your system seems easier........

That idea intrigues me. Do you know of a system you can buy like the point of sale terminals at stores? I would imagine that with a large collection ( 1000's ) of sticks that it would be the easiest way to keep track of what you have and dates, etc...

Walt, have you tried labeling your rolls of toilet paper? I know they're clearly marked with brand and type but I can never remember which rolls were purchased 1st (thus making it difficult to keep my stock rotated). Thanks to that Taco Bell salmonella incident, I was able to clear out my inventory and start my new labeling system.

:gn ---------> A.C.

Just kidding Walt. Its a great system and I wish I were that organized.

Back