Late notice but ...

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Sorry for the late notice but I only just received word.

For those in or around Denver, there is a Maria Guerrero tasting event TODAY (Memorial Day) at The Original Cigar Store in Westminster from 12 noon - 4 pm. Open to the public. This is a great shop that deserves support, but I confess to never having tasted Maria Guerrero cigars before. They are rated very well.

While Original does has a good selection of smokes, the staff can be extremely pushy and annoying. Few things annoy me more than staff hovering around you in the humidor. How many times do I have to tell someone I'm just looking? These guys need to relax. :sb

What're your top shops around Denver? I generally go to Original because its convenient and they do have an excellent selection. I always try to stop when I see a shop I haven't visited before. I used to hit Gars and Grapes or Tobacco Leaf but am not on the south end of town so much any more.

The Tobacco Leaf on Alameda is my favorite shop in town. John and Steve know their cigars, are very entertaining and IMHO have a quality selection. I might be slightly biased on this one because I tend to like the same type smokes they prefer - a fuller bodied smoke. Some people may find John slightly gruff or abrasive, but he's a helluva nice guy and knows his stuff inside and out. Original does have a good selection, but they have a lot of crap in there too. I would like to stop in there more often, esp considering it's proximity to where I live, but I can't get past the pushy staff. I usually stop in Original when I'm looking for something novel or new, since they tend to bring in new lines first - prolly because they have the space to do so.

FYI, in case you're interested, you might want to check out the following link:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7622&highlight=city+guide

Excellent thread Dutch. I haven't had the same annoying experiences in The Original, and they generally leave me alone in the humidor ... once, that is, I tell them I've got it covered. The owner Rick is very friendly and knows his stuff, even if his staff is a bit inexperienced. I also really like The Tobacco Leaf, but I rarely find the time any more to get down there. I will try to make the effort to get to know John and Steve better though. Griff, the owner of Gars and Grapes in Littleton (not a big shop), is a really nice guy, and has some very nice wines. Another shop I stop at when driving by is World Class Cigars on Wads & 48th. They usually have something I want, but probably wouldn't go in for knowledge transfer or a BS session. I like to support the local shops, even if I do my high $s online. Thanks for posting.

I haven't been to World Class Cigars on Wads & 48th for a longtime, but I can tell you that the last time I was in there they had a severe problem with their humidity levels and I saw a TON of mold. After running in fear, I mentioned it to the guy working, and he seemed absolutely clueless. If I remember correctly, Gars and Grapes is the shop across from the Target on Bowles. If so, I've been there a couple times. Its small, but as I recall, they had a couple interesting things.

Back