Leon Jimenes Robusto - My new fav

White97Jimmy

Expresso - Frickin' 81
I have a humi full of singles that I have not tried. I dug around this afternoon to fire up, and grabbed the Leon Jimenes Robusto. I received this from another BOTL, I don't remember who, but this stick didn't really stick out too much, as I don't hear much about it.

First thing I noticed, the construction was absolutely perfect. Not a single flaw on this stick. I really wish I would have taken a picture of the stick before I smoked it. The band slipped of effortlessly, something I really like, as I like to smoke naked!

Cut the end with my Colibri cutter, which I have been needing to find a replacement soon since its dull. I clipped and was absolutely amazed that this stick cut perfect. My last few sticks have cut horribly. Fired this stick up with my new table torch....perfect light. First puffs were amazing. This stick is sooooo smooth, creamy and mild...everything I love in a cigar. I smoked this stick all the way until my fingers burned. Ashed perfectly the whole stick.

Final thought...I NEED MORE OF THESE! This is now my "go to" cigar, as soon as my cigar fund replenishes itself.

Thanks to whichever BOTL sent this to me!

White97Jimmy said:
I have a humi full of singles that I have not tried. I dug around this afternoon to fire up, and grabbed the Leon Jimenes Robusto. I received this from another BOTL, I don't remember who, but this stick didn't really stick out too much, as I don't hear much about it.

First thing I noticed, the construction was absolutely perfect. Not a single flaw on this stick. I really wish I would have taken a picture of the stick before I smoked it. The band slipped of effortlessly, something I really like, as I like to smoke naked!

Cut the end with my Colibri cutter, which I have been needing to find a replacement soon since its dull. I clipped and was absolutely amazed that this stick cut perfect. My last few sticks have cut horribly. Fired this stick up with my new table torch....perfect light. First puffs were amazing. This stick is sooooo smooth, creamy and mild...everything I love in a cigar. I smoked this stick all the way until my fingers burned. Ashed perfectly the whole stick.

Final thought...I NEED MORE OF THESE! This is now my "go to" cigar, as soon as my cigar fund replenishes itself.

Thanks to whichever BOTL sent this to me!

Great review. Its a stick I've een meaning to try for a while. Would you say that its far superior to the Helix Robusto? Only reason I ask is because I've had a few of the Helix 550's recently and my description of these is similar to how you describ the LJ's.

When I started smoking cigars seriously (many, many moons ago) the Leon Jimenes and La Aurora robustos were my everyday sticks. They just don't get the press they deserve. They are true premium cigars that have been around for ever, stay consistantly good and never have a construction or burn problem. I think they get ignored due to the trend toward fuller bodied cigars with flashier wrappers. When ever I'm in the mood now for a mild-med cigar, I still go to these brands.

White97Jimmy said:

I'll send you a PM containing a review I did of the Rothschild size of this cigar. It's about time to re-visit it, as I still have half a box of them...

Dogwatch Dale said:
When I started smoking cigars seriously (many, many moons ago) the Leon Jimenes and La Aurora robustos were my everyday sticks. They just don't get the press they deserve. They are true premium cigars that have been around for ever, stay consistantly good and never have a construction or burn problem. I think they get ignored due to the trend toward fuller bodied cigars with flashier wrappers. When ever I'm in the mood now for a mild-med cigar, I still go to these brands.
Thanks for the nice review. I think I first heard about these from that Herf Castin' Gorilla Dogwatch Dale and his buddy Bob on the DWSC. Picked up a fiver from the devil site and letting them rest for a few weeks. Looking forward to giving them a try.

Dogwatch Dale said:

I know what you're saying. This stick will be my "go-to" mild cigar. If I want a kick, I know that this one won't do the trick. I think what impressed me the most was how well it was constructed and how well it burned for a plain looking cigar.

I was in DR in May and picked up their No. 1 (churchills) and felt it was a very nice smoke. Well constructed, mild, great amounts of smokes, some spicyness as well. Very underated cigar. Actually still have three out of the five resting in the humi and after reading this thread may have to fire one up tonight.

PitDog said:
Thanks for the review. Gonna give these a try! :w
I have a few of these left. If you want them, send me your address. I will stop by and drop them off. Any other requests? :w

I love Leon Jimenes cigars, as Dale said they dont get the press they deserve, they are great value great flavoured cigars, in fact im gonna go smoke one now!

If you guys lived within a mile of me like Pitdog then they would be on your doorstep as well. Enjoy the gift when you get home from work.

clampdown said:
If you guys lived within a mile of me like Pitdog then they would be on your doorstep as well. Enjoy the gift when you get home from work.

shame im so far away! :r

I just found a box of these today when I walked in the Humi at work. There are only three sticks left in the box which either meens I have missed them every other time I've walked in...or they are new and have been selling like MAD durring my last few days off! Either way, after this review I think I may need to grab one before we're sold out.

I have had these sitting for about 4 months. I had one, not really for me, but if you were around here, I would have been to your place for a smoke and a drink. Better luck in the mail (mental not made)

Couldn't help myself, had to pull one out of the humi this evening. I agree, the construction was great, perfect burn, loads of smoke, firm ash (only ashed one time). Flavor was good but there wasn't quite enough there, maybe due to my having Mexican food a couple of hours earlier. Certainly will have another one (sans Tex-Mex) but not yet ready to give up the Casa Torano Robusto as my go to mild smoke. Probably best as a very good early-in-the-day smoke.

Well, your flavor is pretty dead on Jechelman. For some reason lately though, I have been preferring the mild smokes more than the fuller.

White97Jimmy said:
Well, your flavor is pretty dead on Jechelman. For some reason lately though, I have been preferring the mild smokes more than the fuller.
I'm into milder too, especially during this hot Texas summer. Once the weather starts to cool my taste moves to more full bodied smokes. I am looking forward to my next Leon Jimenes without a heavy meal before it. I'm guessing I'll find it more flavorful then. Thanks again for your review.

Back