Leon Jimenes Robusto

Munkey

Howler Monkey
OK, got the hankering for a cigar and looked in the early purchase stack for something to try.

Snagged the Leon Jimenes Robusto. I must have gotten this as part of a sampler because I don't remember buying it. An old Dominican name, this cigar has been around for a long while apparently.

Nice looking stick, no major veins in the silky connecticut wrapper. Firm roll. Clip the head and it looks very nicely packed. pre-light draw is filled with cedar and perhaps a hint of leather. After lighting, it's the leather coming through for me in this mostly one dimensional cigar.

Despite an early burn problem due to my light a tiny correction brings this cigar into shape. It burns razor-sharp and even. The draw is a little tougher than I thought it should be, but not bad.

This would be a great yard gar or walking the dog cigar where you aren't focused on the nuance. Medium bodied, it would probably be a good breakfast cigar for those inclined to start that morning ritual or something in the humi for the friend who doesn't really smoke but wants to play. I would look for bargains on this stick. I'll probably smoke it again, but wouldn't seek it out to buy more.

price $3-5
joy to smoke - not so much
quality to price - pretty good
overall rating 6.5

wow ..... personally, i have to respectfully disagree. when i smoked the LJ it was great. to me, thats a low grade. i liked this cigar a lot and its a great mild to medium cigar. just my 2 cents.

thanks for the review :tu

Back