Life's A Holiday (Market)

tzaddi

jardinero de la selva
This morning on the way back from town I stopped off to get a cup of coffee. As I drove into the small rural shopping center parking lot I saw Aaron, one of the managers of the Holiday Market. One of Aaron's resposibilities is taking care of fairly large (for a grocery store) cabinet humidor near the liquor section. I parked the car and started chatting with him about the state of the humidor while he put some things in his truck. As we talked he told me that he was expecting 25 boxes in this week and what he would and wouldn't have. Very exciting stuff for a cigar nerd like myself.

At this point I must say that this humidor is quite exceptional considering it's location. Among the contents are Padron 4k & 6K, La Flor Dominicana, La Aurora Perfectos, L’Anniversaire Cameroon Tubos, Arurto Fuente Don Carlos, Cohiba Red Dot, Partagas, Punch and many others including a local blend from a shop down the road in Chico, Bidwells.

As we talked we moved into the store and over to the humi. He stated that he had set a few things in the back out of view and he then proceeded to pull out a tray with 13 cigars into which he threw in 2 lonley LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduros (they kinda scare me, in a good way).

He then stated that the entire tray of 15 cigars was mine for $1 per cigar. I thanked him and wasted no time getting to the register. I told him I would be back latter with a few cigars that I thought he might like.

Over the past few months as I cultivated this realtionship my only thought was "here is another BOTL that I can "jaw" with" when I see him. So when in Redding, CA head to the west side of town on Placer, stop in at the Holiday Market, say hello Aaron and see what he has in the humidor...and oh yea, tell him that Richard said hello.

Here is what I got for $15 +$1.09 TX

2- La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel Maduros—6 x 54
3- Partagas Robustos Cameroon Wrapper— 4.5 x 49 (one slightly beat up out of the cello)
3- Punch Gran Puro, Santa Rita 4.5 x 52, Rancho 5.5 x 54, Pico Bonit0 6 x 50
1- Cohiba Red Dot Toro Cameroon wrapper— 6 x 50 (no cello)
1- Bidwell Blend Cafe Corojo Robusto— 5 x 52
5- Bidwell Obsidian (Maduro) Presidente— 7 x 50
Bidwell Blend ‘Criollo’ Maduro is made of 100% long filler Nicaraguan tobaccos. This puro has a rich, creamy ’98 criollo wrapper and is medium to full-bodied. This cigar is loaded with Central American flavor and nicotania galore. Bidwell Blend Maduro is great by itself or with an aged single-malt Scotch. This Nicaraguan beauty is quite smooth, although not for the faint of heart and finishes with a nice horse-like kick. This is for the true Cowboy or Indian who enjoys medium to full-bodied Maduros.

DSC03900.jpg

Life's a Holiday (Market), thanks Aaron for taking the time to talk with me.:tu

BTW I gifted some seeds to Aaron a few months back when I had mentioned that tobacco grows quite well in "these parts". :ss

—Richard

Last edited:
hello,

La Flor Dominicanas and the Partagas are Great, others i have not tried. please tell me what you think of them....

miker

how in hell can you get so many good cigars with only 15 USD !!!???

Atleast you cannot find that here in Finland... aarrrgggggghhhhhh:hn

i want too, i want too... god damn the price pressures of small markets!!!!!

miker

miker

Yeah, but at least water's cheap in Finland with about 70% of the country being lakes. :)

miker

It's called a good 'ol American Clearance/Good Buddy Sale or just being in the right place at the right time. :tu

I would send you a couple of the Bidwell's to try but I am not sure about overseas out of the country mailing of cigars. Let me know in a PM if it is feasible.

This morning on the way back from town I stopped off to get a cup of coffee. As I drove into the small rural shopping center parking lot I saw Aaron, one of the managers of the Holiday Market. One of Aaron's resposibilities is taking care of fairly large (for a grocery store) cabinet humidor near the liquor section. I parked the car and started chatting with him about the state of the humidor while he put some things in his truck. As we talked he told me that he was expecting 25 boxes in this week and what he would and wouldn't have. Very exciting stuff for a cigar nerd like myself.

At this point I must say that this humidor is quite exceptional considering it's location. Among the contents are Padron 4k & 6K, La Flor Dominicana, La Aurora Perfectos, L’Anniversaire Cameroon Tubos, Arurto Fuente Don Carlos, Cohiba Red Dot, Partagas, Punch and many others including a local blend from a shop down the road in Chico, Bidwells.

As we talked we moved into the store and over to the humi. He stated that he had set a few things in the back out of view and he then proceeded to pull out a tray with 13 cigars into which he threw in 2 lonley LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduros (they kinda scare me, in a good way).

He then stated that the entire tray of 15 cigars was mine for $1 per cigar. I thanked him and wasted no time getting to the register. I told him I would be back latter with a few cigars that I thought he might like.

Over the past few months as I cultivated this realtionship my only thought was "here is another BOTL that I can "jaw" with" when I see him. So when in Redding, CA head to the west side of town on Placer, stop in at the Holiday Market, say hello Aaron and see what he has in the humidor...and oh yea, tell him that Richard said hello.

Here is what I got for $15 +$1.09 TX

2- La Flor Domincana Double Ligero Chisel Maduros—6 x 54
3- Partagas Robustos Cameroon Wrapper— 4.5 x 49 (one slightly beat up out of the cello)
3- Punch Gran Puro, Santa Rita 4.5 x 52, Rancho 5.5 x 54, Pico Bonit0 6 x 50
1- Cohiba Red Dot Toro Cameroon wrapper— 6 x 50 (no cello)
1- Bidwell Blend Cafe Corojo Robusto— 5 x 52
5- Bidwell Obsidian (Maduro) Presidente— 7 x 50

DSC03900.jpg

Life's a Holiday (Market), thanks Aaron for taking the time to talk with me.:tu

BTW I gifted some seeds to Aaron a few months back when I had mentioned that tobacco grows quite well in "these parts". :ss

—Richard

That market has a better selection than anywhere within an hour of me!!!

Wow! What a deal. for $15.00 thats not a deal, thats almost a bomb.

A retail bomb if you will.

Dude, did you see that they are having an aution of all of Lawrence "Ram Rod" Shurtliff "Dead" stuff. ( I had to use the word "Dude", I hope you understand.) Last year I was honored to attend a sweat lodge in Eugene called for an attended by Jerry's daughter at the house of the band's longtime "pipe carrier". That's my only Dead story so far...

—Richard

Follow-up

I stopped by the market on the way home after picking up the boys from school and gave him a pouch with a handful of cigars and a 5 Vegas Limitada 2-Finger Ashtray that I seemed to have "Won" 4 of recently for just this purpose.

And the circle goes unbroken...:tu

It's called a good 'ol American Clearance/Good Buddy Sale or just being in the right place at the right time. :tu

I would send you a couple of the Bidwell's to try but I am not sure about overseas out of the country mailing of cigars. Let me know in a PM if it is feasible.

PM sent

Soundslike I need to stop into the Holiday and say hello.

Richard, you can send a bomb overseas-just put t-shirt on the customs label :) Right Old Sailor?

Takes a while to make the trip. Pack them well.

Soundslike I need to stop into the Holiday and say hello.

Richard, you can send a bomb overseas-just put t-shirt on the customs label :) Right Old Sailor?

Takes a while to make the trip. Pack them well.

Next time you are in town we can have lunch there and check out the humi. I think they have some Padron's with your name on them.

Thanks for the tip on sharing cigars with international Gorillas.

—Richard

Oh yeah, we need to check out Tenor's on Market Street as well.

Keep it under control Miker, :dr wait until the package arrives before you lavish the praise.

I love you too man :)

no, no... i have no control over myself... guess i am just the lovin' type... (and off the record: too quick in too many other things also)

:tu

miker

Back