Lighters

edisonbird

SilverBack
Well, my trusted Colibri trifecta peice of
$hit crapped out on me tonight. Never again..Has anyone had any experience with Vector Emperor Lighters? I've been thinking of getting one because of the wide flame, but I don't know anyone who has used one. Or maybe the Vector Gear, I'm looking for a little input here. Any help would be appreciated.

Go with Prometheus Churchill 2. They have a duel flame and are
platinum coated beauties! Gorgeous and a 1/5 th the price of
St. Dupont:pu

edisonbird said:
Well, my trusted Colibri trifecta peice of
$hit crapped out on me tonight. Never again..Has anyone had any experience with Vector Emperor Lighters? I've been thinking of getting one because of the wide flame, but I don't know anyone who has used one. Or maybe the Vector Gear, I'm looking for a little input here. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry, no help. I own several lighters, but use 2 of them the most as they are the most dependable.
1) Dupont XTend (for the $, can't be touched)
2) Blazzor Ambassador

As far as torches, I have a 3+ year old Prince Pocket torch for 12 bucks (Blazer knock off) and a 12 dollar Xtend knock off that both work great. I also have this triple flame Space lighter that works great... but it burns up fuel like a Mofo. :p All my favorite lighters are flint/butane. Of course the high dollar Dupont works great. I also have a IM Corona Old Boy that I use on pipes. It's a Dupont quality lighter for 1/6 the price of my Dupont (about 100 bucks). I've also heard the IM Corona 'Dupont style' lighters work great and have a dual flame as well... also about 100 bucks. I also have a DOpont on the way... another Dupont knock off. It's a 30 dollar lighter shipped, but I've heard they work and feel pretty good. I'd probably go with an older Blazer for a torch, or an IM Corona for a flint/butane.

one thing about double and triple flame lighters is they run out of fuel quickly... and it's certainly not necessary to have more than one flame. i tend to use sulfer free cigar matches at home, but otherwise, i like my prometheus intruder. i've had it for years with no problems (but it is a pain to explain to people how to use it). it has a huge tank so one filling lasts a long time, which is great when you're on the road. i think the price is reasonable... $40 or so.

Seen the Vectors out for a couple of years. Most come with a 4 or 5 year warrenty. Very reliable with form equal to their function. Should give a shot.

I went down to the local store yesterday, and picked up a "ping" . I also got an IM Corona Old Boy, had one a long time ago. When I got home I filled the Old Boy up, and wouldn't you know it it wouldn't adjust, bled it and filled it again, and still not able to adjust it. I took it back today and replaced it with a Vector. I like the 5 year gaurantee, and the price. Time will tell, I'm not to worried about the DuPonte, I've never heard anything bad about them. Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Just a further word about the Vector, filled it before vacation, one fill lasted the whole time, works flawlessly like a Blazzer, only had one problem with it, when we left Minneapolis Pres Bush was flying in, the security guard wanted to take it away, could be used as a bomb he said, I talked him into just bleeding it. Used it for a week after he bled it!! So far so good, I'm empressed.:w

edisonbird said:
Just a further word about the Vector, filled it before vacation, one fill lasted the whole time, works flawlessly like a Blazzer, only had one problem with it, when we left Minneapolis Pres Bush was flying in, the security guard wanted to take it away, could be used as a bomb he said, I talked him into just bleeding it. Used it for a week after he bled it!! So far so good, I'm empressed.:w
I have 4 of the original Blazer's and I love them...whoops make that 3. One got confiscated at the Minneapolis Airport as I was flying out to Jacksonville. Get this...they found it inside a small pocket in my golf bag, which was inside my hard golf travel case! They are detailed now!

I own both the single flame GEAR and the double flame TITANIC. They both do a good job. The Titanic uses a lot of fuel to do the same job. The single flame Gear seems to light the cigar just as quickly and I have yet to refill it. I have already refilled the Titanic a couple of times.

Last edited:
What you need to do is search e-bay for the cheapest torches you can find. I was able to score 5 torches for .99 cents each plus $5 shipping. so total was $10 for 5 torches. This was 3 years ago and i still have two of them left! When one dies, in the garbage it goes. No warranty, no worry.

Vic

Re: colibri Trifecta

I still stand by my Colibri Trifectas.
BUT, they're very high maintainance. Once they're out of fuel, they need to get bled and get bled and get bled until they are bone dry. Otherwise they don't fill up properly and get a vapor-lock phenomenon and stop working. The solution for that is to re-bleed them and re-bleed them and re-bleed them over again until they're bone dry, then refill them. They should work fine after that, and boy, what a flame. Instant torch!!

My second favorites are the twin torches by Solo brand. Less than $20 from BargainHumidors.com.

MoTheMan

:w

Well I've got a Colibri Quantum Vortex and I'm less then happy with it. It doesn't always light, and when it does one of the jets usually starts to sputter. Plus it's supposed to have a fuel level window, but I'll be damned if I can ever see anything in it. I'll clean it out a bit and bleed the tank to see if it helps but if not I'm going to try one of those Vectors.

Hbooker-

I saw a Nibo Wave lighter on ebay that looked pretty good. It has a lifetime warranty, too. For $10, do you think that's a good deal?

SB

Damn you all! I just spent MORE money thanks to this board! :r

My new Vector Gear just came from Bargain Humidors and I'm loving it already! Only thing that annoys me is the fact that I spent $100 on that Colibri and it doesn't work. Oh well, I consider it a learning experience and may even try to have it repaired. Until then the Vector is my new go-to lighter!

Man have I gone thru many lighters in my lifetime....Colibri is on the bottom of the list for me, while some cheapos are still reliable considering the money spent. I do need a "Go To" lighter for my long trips and vacations....maybe I'll check out those Vector Gears since most of you guys swear by them.
:w

TomN said:
Until then the Vector is my new go-to lighter!

You will not be dissapointed, one of the best purchases I've made all of 2003. I have the gun metal case, it is beat up pretty good, no dents, just wear and tear from all the various keys and tools and crap in my pockets all day.

Functions like Mercedes, beautiful adjustable flame. Sounds like a damn cutting torch! Gotta go use it right now on a Samba. :w

Back