Macanudo 1968 Robusto

raralith

Young Ape
Number 6 - Macanudo 1968 Robusto
Online Macanduo Sampler, $10 for 3 (Robusto, Toro, Churchhill)
macanudo1968robusto1ly7.jpg

Appearance and Presentation of Cigar: Excellent
Wrapper color and Packaging: Maduro color, Excellent packaging
Lighting and Burning Properties: Even toast, Fast burn
Even initial light, even burn, burn fast or slow: Even initial light, Even burn, medium burn
Draw: OK
Taste: What taste? Arrgghhh!!

After being thoroughly disappointed with the Macanudo Duke of Devon, I decided to try the “Macanudo with flavor.”

macanudo1968robusto2ar4.jpg

First Third and Final
Clean initial draw, tasted quite bitter and harsh but smoothened out after a few draws. The back of my throat started to sting; never a good sign. A medium flavor leather taste with much more flavor than the Duke of Devon, and yet I would barely rate that as a medium flavor. Again, trying my best to give this my best shot, I soon ran out of patience. I know I should not, but I decided to just cut this thing in half and try from there; I wasn’t even going to put the time into just puffing it down. I started to light this and draw to relight but after 20 seconds or so I knew it was not worth it. Game over, this one sucked bad.

Final Thoughts
Another back to back Macanudo disappointment. I can’t believe that these are supposed to MSRP for $9! The next time I’m at my B&M and the owner tries to slip any of this brand for free, I’m just going to tell him to either give me something else or give me nothing at all. Time to give the Toro and Churchill away. I know I have a Fuente Hemingway somewhere in my stash and a lot more on my way and that soothes my mind.

Number 6 - Macanudo 1968 Robusto
Online Macanduo Sampler, $10 for 3 (Robusto, Toro, Churchhill)
macanudo1968robusto1ly7.jpg

Appearance and Presentation of Cigar: Excellent
Wrapper color and Packaging: Maduro color, Excellent packaging
Lighting and Burning Properties: Even toast, Fast burn
Even initial light, even burn, burn fast or slow: Even initial light, Even burn, medium burn
Draw: OK
Taste: What taste? Arrgghhh!!

After being thoroughly disappointed with the Macanudo Duke of Devon, I decided to try the “Macanudo with flavor.”

macanudo1968robusto2ar4.jpg

First Third and Final
Clean initial draw, tasted quite bitter and harsh but smoothened out after a few draws. The back of my throat started to sting; never a good sign. A medium flavor leather taste with much more flavor than the Duke of Devon, and yet I would barely rate that as a medium flavor. Again, trying my best to give this my best shot, I soon ran out of patience. I know I should not, but I decided to just cut this thing in half and try from there; I wasn’t even going to put the time into just puffing it down. I started to light this and draw to relight but after 20 seconds or so I knew it was not worth it. Game over, this one sucked bad.

Final Thoughts
Another back to back Macanudo disappointment. I can’t believe that these are supposed to MSRP for $9! The next time I’m at my B&M and the owner tries to slip any of this brand for free, I’m just going to tell him to either give me something else or give me nothing at all. Time to give the Toro and Churchill away. I know I have a Fuente Hemingway somewhere in my stash and a lot more on my way and that soothes my mind.

very interesting review. A friend of mine gave me one of these on the golf course Friday. The very first thing I noticed was the burning in my throat! Not a good flavor and very harsh.

I don't understand these mixed reviews. I know what to expect from Macanudo and I doubt they could pull off a full bodied smoke, but the past couple reviews I've been reading or watching (e.g. Stogie Review, Tom & Ed's and inthehumidor.com review) have been positive. Yet everyone I know who has tried one think the same thing - bland and/or harsh. Weird.
All I know is thanks for the review! :tu I will definitely be passing on this for $9.

Working my way through one right now. Mine lit up and burned pretty slowly. I've only had it a week and a half but at 65%. The draw is tight and the flavor is there, just simply meh. Has that Dominican taste I really dislike which is odd since it has a Honduran wrapper? Construction is solid, a couple solid taps and the ash is still clinging. Toying with the idea of ditching it, but will probably ride it out awhile longer.

ETA- I don't find the cigar harsh or bland at all, just not a flavor I like.

Well, stuck the whole thing out. Almost three hours to get through this thing. Did get a bit better toward the end, but I don't think I'll ever be smoking another one.

Ratters, I had the Toro and I didn't like it either. It wasn't a bad taste, but it wasn't a good taste. I tossed it halfway through.

I had the Toro last night at a tasting at the local B & M. I did find it to be a full bodied cigar but the flavor was a bit lacking. I really could not get a handle on what flavors there were, they were just too small to make anything stand out. Burn, draw and appearance were spot on, though. I did nub it, however.

Would I pay $9-10 for it? No. There are simply too many other, better cigars out there for the price.

Had a free Mac 1968 robusto at a launch party at the local B&M a couple weeks ago. A little sourness in the beginning but overall not unpleasant, just rather bland as some others have found. Picked up some strength near the end, but the (lack of real) flavor stayed consistent. I did buy a '68 toro at slight discount to get a change to win a humidor and free cigars, (which I didn't win but not a real loss I guess!), so I'll let it sit a while and see how it ages.

Back